What's new

12 ga home defense round?

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Anyone that keeps a pistol within reach while sleeping, do you have children?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do. And yes. I have taught my girls from a young age that a gun is not a toy. They have been allowed to handle it whenever they wanted (safe and supervised) as to reduce the curiosity factor. I have no concern that if left in their reach (which it isn't, i'm just making reference), they would simply walk away from it and leave it alone, since there is no mystery to it. Once something stops becoming 'off limits' or a temptation, the risk of it getting 'messed with' drastically reduces.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I do. And yes. I have taught my girls from a young age that a gun is not a toy. They have been allowed to handle it whenever they wanted (safe and supervised) as to reduce the curiosity factor. I have no concern that if left in their reach (which it isn't, i'm just making reference), they would simply walk away from it and leave it alone, since there is no mystery to it. Once something stops becoming 'off limits' or a temptation, the risk of it getting 'messed with' drastically reduces.
No point me typing an answer almost the exact same as this one... Just swap "boy and girl" for "girls".

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I don't want to derail this, BUT they do make special locks and safes to keep at/under the bedside as well for quick access should need be if someone has a set to step foot in the house to commit a crime and you need to step up in defense. Not saying it's geared just for the kids safety, but that's something nice to have knowing your firearm is within arms reach and safe. You'd be surprised at the locks and safes that are being made today.

Of course, proper handling and operating a firearm should be a given as well in any situation. I'm big on the safety of firearms. And one day my children will be raised around them and will understand their not toys and need to be handled with care and respect. So I'm agreeing with @jkittle99 on that one.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Mine are both too young to even understand it so I keep them locked up, which does no good at all in home defense..

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I don't want to derail this, BUT they do make special locks and safes to keep at/under the bedside as well for quick access should need be if someone has a set to step foot in the house to commit a crime and you need to step up in defense. Not saying it's geared just for the kids safety, but that's something nice to have knowing your firearm is within arms reach and safe. You'd be surprised at the locks and safes that are being made today.

Of course, proper handling and operating a firearm should be a given as well in any situation. I'm big on the safety of firearms. And one day my children will be raised around them and will understand their not toys and need to be handled with care and respect. So I'm agreeing with @jkittle99 on that one.
The answer is yes. They make a special safe that will hold a shotgun or rifle under the bed and has biometric or a code to unlock. There are several other small biometric safes for handguns also, which will mount on a wall or to the bed itself.

Fortunately for me, I have no small children in my house, well at least until someday grandkids arrive (take your time, Caitlyn). Lol.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone that keeps a pistol within reach while sleeping, do you have children?
No children for me. Just a wife and a cat. Pistol stays in the night stand (not out in the open) but yeah, it would be secured differently if I had kids. Biometric safe or something.