What's new

12 ga home defense round?

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
In the grand scheme, you're absolutely right. Though I'd posit a pistol lower is a minor inconvenience as well, with none of the heartache of losing your beloved, ATF-approved weapon, or getting it back with a cool new evidence number tattoo. Yes, it is a bit suspicious that the biggest concern I have in shooting an intruder is whether I'm getting my firearm back. I like my firearms. I don't like intruders. Or I'm an armchair commando. Who knows.
Oddly enough, I dont find that to be suspicious at all. I think much the same way concerning bad dudes/dudettes and my firearms. Luckily I live in a county were concern is very low when it come to worrying about loss of a firearm (even temporarily) over a justified shooting.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I only use the birdshot and target rounds for skeet and trap shooting. I'm definitely under-educated when it comes to the home defense rounds. Plus, at least here in NY it makes it very hard to find home defense rounds since they're not carried in most places or they're sold out because of hoarders. I'm on the hunt for some HD shells and any input would help. Damn, now I might have to take a ride to the gun shops or sporting goods stores.....
I don't sit on much shotgun ammo since I... never... shoot it. But if I have some, I'll throw it your way.
(via mail, not pew pew pew)

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Very nice thanks!!! For some damn reason, since day 1, my damn shotgun doesn't agree with Winchester rounds at all. But I think I can find the fed premium and rem loads locally. Just need to call around or swing by some of the stores and see what they have for sale.
Not to be a party pooper, but you can't buy ammo online and have it shipped to NY. You'll need a middle-man. Just sayin'.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not to be a party pooper, but you can't buy ammo online and have it shipped to NY. You'll need a middle-man. Just sayin'.
Ohh I know. Or do what others do and travel by car to our out of state neighbors and drop some decent coin there. This is just how our wonderful government is thinking they're smart.

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
That, thanks to our a$$hat "legislature" and "governor." It's a farkin' embarrassment, this totalitarian, Constitution-hating government we live under...:mad: Thank God for the freedom-lovers in PA and OH...(y)

Sorry for the rant, and for thread-jacking my own post...;)

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ohh I know. Or do what others do and travel by car to our out of state neighbors and drop some decent coin there. This is just how our wonderful government is thinking they're smart.

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk
I'm so pissed off about this. I used to buy all my ammo online. Gun store prices were/are ridiculous here.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
personally, I would never use a slug for a home defense round. Overkill, for a lack of a better word. I would use 00 for home defense in my Rem 870 tactical if I wanted to, but I prefer my 45 any day (Kimber Ultra Covert II) especially since it has a laser grip and shoots perfect. Just my choice though, as a 45 allows me to move silently, stay concealed and able to take quick action. Nothing like getting lit up with a laser on your chest. Very intimidating. Just like hearing the sound of a slide go into battery or the sound of a pump shotgun being armed.

For what's is worth though, no gun will be good for home defense if a person doesn't train and practice with it. That means you should be able to manipulate the weapon in darkness and the light, shooting it from various positions simulating areas in your house. What you do in practice will carry over into a real life situation. Being a retird LEO, I've understood that for years and use it when I teach a tactical carry class out here for those with their ccw. We also teach the use of shotguns for home defense during the same class to show limitations and advantages to each type of weapon. It's very eye opening.

As for what ammo to use, try several options listed in this thread. Do your own tests or see what others have found from their research. Every type of ammo I use whether it's for carry or hunting, I did my own research. Hornady Critical Defense ammo is good stuff. Either #4 or 00 is good to go for home defense. Just remember, there are 9 pellets in a 00 shell. That's 9 decent sized pellets to encapitate the threat.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Anyone that keeps a pistol within reach while sleeping, do you have children?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk