What's new

12 ga home defense round?

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Be aware of your surroundings in the .037 seconds that you are making the decision to defend your life I wouldn't choose a shot gun but if I had to choose a shot gun I would also wish there was a slug in it or 000 buck, after all I am defending my life I want to kill what ever it is I am shooting at, and yes not miss g would help alleviate all consern about over penetration. .380 would do me fine for home defense

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This is a great thread. I'm guilty of keeping some birdshot and target loads around for my 12ga for home defense (for now). I have seen the home defense shells but I forgot if they either didn't fit my shotgun or something of that sort. Now I'm thinking and trying to remember why I couldn't get my hands on some.

Sadly, in this wonderful state of ours ( :vomit: ), it takes forever (been hearing 6+ months) just to meet with the pistol licensing bureau for permits. We're unable to legally carry and it can only be used afield and carried for hunting or target shooting. No conceal carry I believe unless you're a LEO or need to carry for certain jobs. I have to revisit their whole licensing process but this is what I've researched and have been told from a few friends who applied. I'm sure now since they're after all of us law abiding citizens things have drastically changed for the worse.....

And for my fellow NY law abiding pro-2nd amendment BOTL's....FUAC.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ditch that ASAP.
Birdshot won't even penetrate the outer shell of a bowling pin. Hunters also see it regularly bounce off of geese.
+1

I worked more than a couple of scenes back in my cop days where a home owner dusted homie the crack head with a load of #9 at a distance of 15 feet or less.. only to have homie haul ass, essentially unharmed (other than having a large stain in his pants and little red whelts all over his body..

birdshot is not a good solution for home defense at all..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
my home defense shotty is loaded with 7 rounds of #4 buck in the tube, and 10x rounds of breneke slugs in the speedfeed stock and side saddle (learn to do a slug drill if you dont know how to already)...

truth be told.. the shotgun is not my first choice for home defense anymore.. it hasnt been in more than a decade.. but.. its there if I need it..

my primary for home defense is an M4 with 62gr ball ammo in the safe.. and I keep a pistol within reach when sleeping..
This ^.
My go-to is a Suppressed SBR and Blackhills 77gr OTM MK262.
I also keep a Glock 23 with 180gr Federal HST's as an alternative / backup.

Last edited:

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
My home defense 12 gauge is kept loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense 00 buckshot shells. Though I don't generally use my shotgun for that purpose anymore, it's been replaced by a 40

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
This ^.
My go-to is a Suppressed SBR and Blackhills 77gr OTM MK262.
I also keep a Glock 23 with 180gr Federal HST's as an alternative / backup.
Starting to think an AR pistol might be the way to go. That way in the event I do have to use it, I won't have to worry about the ATF licking my tears of unfathomable sadness when my SBR is taken as evidence.

If that's actually a concern any more...

As for the OP: 00 Buck in mine. I think I have some Rhodesian Jungle shells if you want something goofy, gimmicky, and less effective, but cooler sounding.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Starting to think an AR pistol might be the way to go. That way in the event I do have to use it, I won't have to worry about the ATF licking my tears of unfathomable sadness when my SBR is taken as evidence.
If that's actually a concern any more...
As for the OP: 00 Buck in mine. I think I have some Rhodesian Jungle shells if you want something goofy, gimmicky, and less effective, but cooler sounding.
The problem with Shotguns isnt that they just go through sheet rock, its that they over penetrate on people too. So the whole "dont miss" thing doesnt really play out well, because even if you dont, you can still hit something behind them and through the wall. The AR does better at this. Not only is the wound cavity from a rifle larger, but they tend to fragment and not over penetrate like the other options out there. That, and I have 30+ rounds before a reload to ensure mine and my family's safety, its more compact, and is easier to stay on target & control.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
The problem with Shotguns isnt that they just go through sheet rock, its that they over penetrate on people too. So the whole "dont miss" thing doesnt really play out well, because even if you dont, you can still hit something behind them and through the wall. The AR does better at this. Not only is the wound cavity from a rifle larger, but they tend to fragment and not over penetrate like the other options out there. That, and I have 30+ rounds before a reload to ensure mine and my family's safety, its more compact, and is easier to stay on target & control.
Yes, but... all your stamps will be belong to evidence lockers.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, but... all your stamps will be belong to evidence lockers.
Meh, I'd get them back if it was self defense, and I'd have my life, and my hearing (Which I totally wouldn't have if I lit off a short barreled AR indoors with out the can.)
This is also why I have a Glock with HST's as well. Options. If someone smashes my door in, in the middle of the night, im grabbing the SBR. No fucks given. Anything else less threatening, a noise heard, etc, the pistol will do

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Pretty minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things IMO.
In the grand scheme, you're absolutely right. Though I'd posit a pistol lower is a minor inconvenience as well, with none of the heartache of losing your beloved, ATF-approved weapon, or getting it back with a cool new evidence number tattoo. Yes, it is a bit suspicious that the biggest concern I have in shooting an intruder is whether I'm getting my firearm back. I like my firearms. I don't like intruders. Or I'm an armchair commando. Who knows.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ditch that ASAP.
Birdshot won't even penetrate the outer shell of a bowling pin. Hunters also see it regularly bounce off of geese.
I only use the birdshot and target rounds for skeet and trap shooting. I'm definitely under-educated when it comes to the home defense rounds. Plus, at least here in NY it makes it very hard to find home defense rounds since they're not carried in most places or they're sold out because of hoarders. I'm on the hunt for some HD shells and any input would help. Damn, now I might have to take a ride to the gun shops or sporting goods stores.....

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Very nice thanks!!! For some damn reason, since day 1, my damn shotgun doesn't agree with Winchester rounds at all. But I think I can find the fed premium and rem loads locally. Just need to call around or swing by some of the stores and see what they have for sale.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very nice thanks!!! For some damn reason, since day 1, my damn shotgun doesn't agree with Winchester rounds at all. But I think I can find the fed premium and rem loads locally. Just need to call around or swing by some of the stores and see what they have for sale.
If you have a Remington 870, mines exactly the same. Will not cycle Winchester.