What's new

2014 BOTL Pipe of the Year

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
All I can think of is my time following Android developer builds and the all out attacks that would come when someone asked for the next CyanogenMod release date.
It seemed like that was a good way to ensure that the programmer would find a way to bug just your OS! Since then, I've learned to be patient. But I definitely understand (and fully get behind) the enthusiasm!
Just spoke with Cody last night a bit, and the briar order is en route from Italy. This is getting real! He's been toying with some concept sketches and I bet he might be willing to share a couple if you all asked nicely! :grin:
(throwing you to the wolves, buddy, like it or not! )

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I haven't seen a poll where we could vote on this, but I would like to suggest that we consider the "rough briar rim" that you sometimes see on pipes, most notably Nording pipes. It would give each one of these prized gems a one of a kind shape and perhaps help compromise for those who wanted a partial sand-blast finish. Any thoughts?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
that would be "plateau rim", and would probably be hard to do in a group buy, i would imagine. then again, my woodcrafting skills barely encompass popsicle sticks, so i may very well be wrong...

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
that would be "plateau rim", and would probably be hard to do in a group buy, i would imagine. then again, my woodcrafting skills barely encompass popsicle sticks, so i may very well be wrong...
My thoughts precisely. I reached out to Cody for further education though, just in case. I was just always under the impression that those come from a specific (even more expensive) cut of briar and we're more of a freehand carve.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I would assume that all the blocks would have to be extremely similar to get the "same" plateau. Being they have to have the bowl drilled on the uncut side of briar. I would imagine it would be a nightmare matching briar.

Not to mention I'm not a huge fan of the plateau top...

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
He's been toying with some concept sketches and I bet he might be willing to share a couple if you all asked nicely! :grin:
(throwing you to the wolves, buddy, like it or not! )
Awesome, but understand if he doesn't.

Always excited to see this thread pop up since this is my first new pipe purchase.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My thoughts precisely. I reached out to Cody for further education though, just in case. I was just always under the impression that those come from a specific (even more expensive) cut of briar and we're more of a freehand carve.
No problem guys. I was just throwing it out there.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I haven't seen a poll where we could vote on this, but I would like to suggest that we consider the "rough briar rim" that you sometimes see on pipes, most notably Nording pipes. It would give each one of these prized gems a one of a kind shape and perhaps help compromise for those who wanted a partial sand-blast finish. Any thoughts?
Ya, you would be talking about a plateau top. It would be possible but as you are at the mercy of what you are getting as far as each block it does make it harder to make them all the same, it could be done though. I tend to think plateau lends itself best to more of a freehand pipe, as it seemed people are looking for more of a classic cherrywood shape I overlooked the plateau side of things.

Also outside of that, here is a sketch I did up to give people an idea of what I am thinking. Love to hear opinions...

ps. Not the best with drawings but it gives you the idea.

pipe.jpg

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I make my own spoon bits so I can go any size I want, however I find 3/4" Diameter by 1 1/2" deep is ideal.

Open to hearing every ones thoughts though.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I personally don't think we need a poll for the chamber size. Sounds like Cody has that covered by his sizing, understand that the bigger the diameter and deepened of the chamber, the bigger the pipe will end up being. Which then could make this too large of a pipe to enjoy with no hands (holding it in your mouth) just my .02 cents

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Hello BOTL!

I hope this finds you all well.

It seems like forever since we've had an update, but in the material ordering phase we're at the mercy of delivery services.
Good news, though. Cody received the ebonite for the stems yesterday, and the briar order is currently at the airport going through customs. He expects to see the briar by this weekend and will start roughing out the first prototype pipe real soon!

Also, it was brought to my attention that some BOTL might like to pay a little more on their pipes, what with tax refunds coming in and all. I fully understand this as it's nice to assign funds before they get used elsewhere. I've discussed this with Cody, and we can open up payments for anyone that would wish to do this. He is confident enough on price, now that design elements have been chosen, and is comfortable setting the final price at $240. If you would like to make another partial payment of $80-$100, or payment in full of $140, feel free to do so using the same laPyaP template as before, showing your full name and screen name in the notes. And remember, like always, no mention of tobacco or tobacco related products.
Note: This is NOT something required, though. Original plan of final payment not being due until just prior to shipping still applies.

Stay tuned for further updates, BOTL Pipe production should soon be in full swing!
Take care,
Clint