What's new

2014 Tobacco Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Wow incredible work, keep it up brother and really digging the updates.

Is there anything special you are doing in your smoke room for the leaf?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I color cure the leaves outside in the barn because we have high humidity and high temps which is needed to allow the leaves to turn yellow and then brown, red, yellow or what ever is the final color of that strain of tobacco. If the humidity is to low the leaves dry green. I use my smoking/rolling room to dry the stems. So after the leaves have turned the correct color they are brought inside to dry the stems. I run a dehumidifier set at 40% in the drying room to speed up the drying of the tobacco stems. After I am done with drying the stems the leaves all get their moisture restored to a high case and then placed in the kiln for 4 to 6 weeks at 125 degrees F and at 75% humidity. This is for the air cured leaves. My VD are in the smoker for 30 days or so. The heat in the smoker dries the stems out pretty fast. It is a fun process which has given me a lot of respect for the large tobacco growers and everyone involved in making a great cigar that someone will one day hopefully enjoy..

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I could use all the help I can get. If anyone wants to come hang out for a few days you are welcome.

A few updates of the garden

As you can see a few weeks and they are going great

My first attempt at making Perique from some of my 2012 burley

Fermintation chamber is running with a load of Havana seco

Havana ligero sitting on the couch

smoke house is still going the VD look off color in the picture

brought one leaf out in the sun to take a picture. The VD are looking yummy

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
The best thing of all is that a friend introduced me to something that keeps all aphids away not one on any plant and something that keeps the suckers from growing. If this goes as I can see I will be making a much larger garden next year as 3/4 of my time is fighting aphids and suckers. With these tasks gone I will have a lot more time on my hands to grow more varieties of tobacco next year. I can not wait

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Great work man! I just read through this whole thread and I am really impressed with your dedication, I can only imagine the trials and errors you have gone through.

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The best thing of all is that a friend introduced me to something that keeps all aphids away not one on any plant and something that keeps the suckers from growing. If this goes as I can see I will be making a much larger garden next year as 3/4 of my time is fighting aphids and suckers. With these tasks gone I will have a lot more time on my hands to grow more varieties of tobacco next year. I can not wait
What are you using for aphids? They are destroying my garden....

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
yes lady bugs work great along with wasps and many other insects but this works perfect and I am tired of washing plants off and loosing leaf to them bugs. One time application of admire at transplant and no aphids. Even better is this will not kill any of the beneficial insects, If all I had was a few plants I could easily wash off the aphids that the lady bugs don't eat. but I am planning on a much bigger garden next year and I do not have the time to mess with aphids or suckers. I do not have much help so I am limited by time that it takes me to tend the garden. at the moment I am preparing the dirt for the fall/ winter vegetable garden for the church and tripling the tobacco garden as I now have 20 strains that I have never grown before thanks to a few friends.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Hopefully he'll have a good update but I do know he just sent out pipe baccy to some brothers for taste testing

Status
Not open for further replies.