What's new

2014 Tobacco Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow, that is a great looking garden. I have thought about try to grow a couple plants but I am pretty sure southwest AZ is too dry for them. Again, great looking crops. Wow!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
First and second batch of seedlings:

Thanks to Joe!!!!
They are looking great.

As what do I do with the tobacco after harvest. First there are a few ways to color cure the tobacco either air dry or flue cured and also fire cured. After the tobacco has color cured it needs to rest for several years or be fermented to speed up the process to a month in my fermentation chamber. After the tobacco is fermented then there is a thousand ways to blend and process the tobacco to make either pipe tobacco, cigarettes, chew, or cigars. I make them all. Growing the leaf is the easy part for me it is keeping all of the records from over the years so that I know what I am working with and possibly recreate it again in the future. I am also a hoarder when it comes to keeping tobacco it only gets better in time with most strains I grow, but to answer the questions of what I do with the cigars I make is I smoke them and give them to friends and enjoy the hell out of all of the work that has gone into the process of making this tobacco.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
My current mold is a 5 X 48 perfecto so that is my normal. I just bought a Liberman to help me in the process of making lanceros and coronas but I am in need of a mold for these 2 sizes. I use my pipe more than anything to test different tobaccos I grow.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Garden Update I just started harvesting the burley and Havanas. Pulled and hanged about 800 leaves.

Primed Burley

Burley flowers

The new area I am making see the little grass in the back ground it was all like that. I am going to take it all back

The whole garden

The leaves are hanging out

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow. I just skimmed through most of the thread so sorry if this has been asked before. Do you plant different varieties for wrapper, filler, cig, chew, etc?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Yes I have about 15 different varieties of tobacco from years prior that are ready for processing and am currently growing 9 different strains. Next year I am doubling the garden size and will have a little more room for a few new strains of tobacco that I now have seeds for. I am also planning on an one acre veggie garden to donate fresh veggies to local people that need some help. I donate 10s of thousands of pounds of wild hog each year to local people that enjoy it so I figured a huge garden could help them out in another way. Its going to be a fun year

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Update on the garden. I have spent the last few weeks priming the leaves and am finally done. I ran out of room in the barn to hang the tobacco so I started hanging it in my smoke room.

Got the smoker going yesterday it is full of VD leaves

As you can see the tobacco plants come right back after harvesting. I added 8 tons of compost and covered the rows with some weed fabric to help stop the grass from taking over. as you can see at the end of the garden I have expanded it by 50 feet and plan on expanding the garden to the edge of the woods when the winter hits this year.

Making some seeds for next years garden

Status
Not open for further replies.