What's new

2014 Tobacco Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
They are almost done. I harvested the second set of dirt leaves a few days ago. This harvest should be done in less than a month. I can not wait. I tried my first attempt at sun curing some of the Virginia leaf and so far it looks good. I will let you all know how it turns out. Right now I am in the middle of doubling the garden space for more vegys. Bought some more compost and sand for the new garden area so I will be busy for a few weeks.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I normally just line the rows that I walk in with sand it feels better on my feet plus it doesn't get muddy like our black gumbo.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I am seeding 4 burley plants at the moment. I thought this was a neat picture of the flowers. My garden has become huge over the last few weeks

tobacco-001.JPG

tobacco-003.JPG

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just want to add one thing. I grew tobacco at home a few years ago for fun. I fermented it and everything went well. I rolled a dozen or so cigars the first winter. I live in Canada and only smoke in the warm weather. The first summer the cigars were OK but were harsh. The second winter I rolled a couple of dozen more and experimented with flavoring with rum, coffee, vanilla, sugar. Again, they were OK but still harsh. Last winter I rolled some more and recently smoked a couple. They are MUCH better this year. The tobacco is 3 years old and is starting to come into it's own. The flavor is distinct without being harsh.

Anyway, all I can say is that aging was important to my tobacco. If, after all your hard work, if you find that your cigars are not everything you were hoping for, be patient. Just like the big boys, aging is important.

Bruce.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I think the seeds you sent my cousin and I are going in the ground soon. This is the last pic I have of them. This is about three weeks ago I think.

I noticed the Amish have theirs planted between where I live and work. They grow a decent amount each year. Lancaster County PA is a big tobacco area. In fact isn't that where liga wrappers come from?

Attachments

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I am not worried about aging my tobacco. I have bundles of tobacco that I grew from the 90s. I also run a fermentation chamber if I need to speed things up.

Heres a few pictures of the garden as of today The plants have gotton huge.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Ok here is another update. They have been topped for 3 weeks now so probably 2 to 3 weeks left before harvesting starts.

Burley Flowers

Burley is now over 7 feet tall

Havannas are all huge now

Garden

EHV

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looking great Joe. I never realized tobacco could grow that big. Impressive. I'm not much for a green thumb but watching your garden progress and the work you put into it is something to really appreciate.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
That's bad ass. I live in Rosenberg and thought about growing some tobacco just for kicks. Good to know that it can be done here!
If you need any seeds let me know...

Thank you it has been a lot of fun this year in the garden. Next the hard part color curing then fermenting.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Joe, your garden looks fantastic!! The seeds I got from you have germinated and are sprouting and I am transferring them in the next couple of days. Yes, a little late than I expected… But I think it will be wonderful!!

Thank you again!!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Very cool you will have to post a few pictures when they get bigger. It is not to late actually it is about time for around here but I get a first harvest in a few weeks then a second harvest in October. You have to love Texas's growing season

Status
Not open for further replies.