What's new

2nds/Seconds/Overruns/Mistakes Guide

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm not debating the validity of your statements, just curious as to how you know %100 what is what?
So I don't. They could be knock offs, but their taste/construction/appearance are identical to the firsts. I bought singles of and smoked them side by side. I have done an "operation" to 3 or 4 and they appear to be the same type of leaf. The sites have descriptions so you can generally figure out what you bought, but not always.

I've always been curious about the MF factory seconds... Hmm...
UHHHH!!! I had no idea MF had factory seconds. Googling now...

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'm not debating the validity of your statements, just curious as to how you know %100 what is what?
So I don't. They could be knock offs, but their taste/construction/appearance are identical to the firsts. I bought singles of and smoked them side by side. I have done an "operation" to 3 or 4 and they appear to be the same type of leaf. The sites have descriptions so you can generally figure out what you bought, but not always.

UHHHH!!! I had no idea MF had factory seconds. Googling now...
Haha yeah, I think CI or Atlantic offers them. Always wanted to pull the trigger on some, but just never had. Thanks for this guide man, it is/will continue to be a huge help!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I remember seeing that post as well. However, they had some that used a Habano Oscuro wrapper, which I believe is the same as Le Bijou (I loved that leaf).

Even if Pete stated it wasn't a Tatuaje/MF current production stick; a bundle of 20 panatelas rolled at the My Father factory with a Rosado wrapper for $50, is something I'd like to try.
If you're talking about My Father Factory Overruns offered by Atlantic, I remember Pete posting on a board that they were not from a line that is currently offered by MF

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced/Cain Liga decoding

F-F
I would like to point out that I proved pretty conclusively that the Ligero Laced F bundle sticks are NOT Cain F lanceros about 18 months ago. (I am ONLY speaking about the Ligero F sticks from CI, as I have not tried any of the others on this list).

A. I contacted Ian at Oliva, who confirmed they are not Cain F Lanceros under a different name.
B. I purchased a bundle of the Ligero Laced Seconds and photographed the side by side, as well as smoked them side by side. The wrappers are not even close, and they smoke nothing alike. Here were my notes:

1. The wrapper is close to the same color, but has a TOTALLY different texture. The cain f is toothy, while the bundle is smooth as silk. Not even close. This alone proves the point. (I will post a pic tonight)
2. The bundle seems to be rolled looser, and seems to be a 40 RG instead of a 38 RG.
3. The Cain F is triple capped, while the bundle is not (that I can see)
4. The Cain F is a smoother, more balanced, and more flavorful smoke, while the bundle is harsher, and just does not have (even close) the flavor profile
5. The Bundle's smoke is anemic, while the Cain F is white and billowy
6. Both had great construction, both draw and burn

The Bottom Line: NOT a Cain F lancero. Having said that, the bundle I think would make a decent stick, esp for the price, if given a bit of age.

ahhhahhhah.jpg

Furthermore, I would be VERY cautious about basing buying decisions based on names or claims that are supplied by a vendor who is trying to sell said cigars any way they can.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Nicaraguan Ligero-Laced/Cain Liga decoding

F-F
I would like to point out that I proved pretty conclusively that the Ligero Laced F bundle sticks are NOT Cain F lanceros about 18 months ago. (I am ONLY speaking about the Ligero F sticks from CI, as I have not tried any of the others on this list).

A. I contacted Ian at Oliva, who confirmed they are not Cain F Lanceros under a different name.
B. I purchased a bundle of the Ligero Laced Seconds and photographed the side by side, as well as smoked them side by side. The wrappers are not even close, and they smoke nothing alike. Here were my notes:

1. The wrapper is close to the same color, but has a TOTALLY different texture. The cain f is toothy, while the bundle is smooth as silk. Not even close. This alone proves the point. (I will post a pic tonight)
2. The bundle seems to be rolled looser, and seems to be a 40 RG instead of a 38 RG.
3. The Cain F is triple capped, while the bundle is not (that I can see)
4. The Cain F is a smoother, more balanced, and more flavorful smoke, while the bundle is harsher, and just does not have (even close) the flavor profile
5. The Bundle's smoke is anemic, while the Cain F is white and billowy
6. Both had great construction, both draw and burn

The Bottom Line: NOT a Cain F lancero. Having said that, the bundle I think would make a decent stick, esp for the price, if given a bit of age.

View attachment 42659

Furthermore, I would be VERY cautious about basing buying decisions based on names or claims that are supplied by a vendor who is trying to sell said cigars any way they can.
I agree with you, especially on the Cain F lancero. I have never purchased the lances based upon that thread. I have had liga F and the Cain F toro, and I have not been able to tell a difference between the two. I'll update the OP to reflect that, as I forgot about that post.

As with the warning, I also tend to agree with you. Most of the sticks are somewhat lower end, at least price wise. AJF, AB, RP.. they're all high volume kind of companies. I also DO NOT trust CI/Cbid as far as I can throw them. But from what I have bought (mostly AB and AJF), they are scratch and dent cigars. I will lower my "for sure rating" for the Olivas, specifically for the F argument.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just got in my AJF Large Figurados. It's a 7.1x58 salomon and looks to be dark brown (but not maduro dark) wrapper. It is slightly darker than an Ave Maria Holy Grail. Operated on it and it is long filler, smells like barn yard.

Also, I retract what I called the small figurado. It's either an estd. 1844 or a diesel double perfecto

Last edited:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Why would a manufacturer volunteer the truth about overruns that you can buy for nothing as opposed to their branded cigar you have to pay much more for

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
So basically you are stating that these are "educated"guesses.

It is nice to hear that such and such cigar is similar to another but this is an opinion.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent thread. I am burning a AJ overrun large fig now. I swear it is a MOW since MOW is one of my favorites. I also got the torpedo also and it reminds me of the Virtue. The only difference I get from SRP sticks is some wrapper issues. Well worth the 25 bucks a bundle I paid.

I have purchased the JR Monte 2 in cuban form and they are a good daily grinder with no real deal breakers. And they ship very quickly. No complaints although I have never had a real Cuban Monte.

I would like to hear the thoughts on the Famous brands as well.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So basically you are stating that these are "educated"guesses.

It is nice to hear that such and such cigar is similar to another but this is an opinion.
Added a warning to the very first line. You could say some of these are opinions as to what the second is. However, there are some cigars that I have firsts. I dissected, smoked multiples, compared everything down to the texture of the wrapper, and they are the same cigar. I have stated this the entry part of my original post. To each their own. If someone wants to believe that it is a substitute opposed to a second, I really don't care. This is my finding and I was posting what I believed to be true. But warning added.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I don't know about too many of these but I can tell you that the MOW seconds are fantastic. Well worth the money. Perfect golf cigar in the Toro or DC.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Apparently Tampa Humidor has the Tempus and Prensado 2nds and to me they smoke exactly like the 1sts, burn like the firsts draw like them etc.

Usually in a variety of sizes and for around $50 a bundle of 20.

Sascha