What's new

A New Viaje LE! Nuclear Threat,.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
LET me add....

If this new cigar with it's overly ripe leaves, ends up being the best thing to hit cigars since fire, then Pete will end up eating some words, in a big way.

So he has more to lose by posting here, than Andre does by not. Andre will let the excitement from a few Limited releases, to carry him into a way to market a crop that got picked too late.

BTW Selling a car, Fresh Paint!!!

Translation , Car had a recent accident, and body work just got completed.
The cigar could be outstanding and if it is, congrats to Andre but there is still no such thing as late harvest tobacco.

If I told everyone I used Late harvest tobacco in the pork tenderloin, it would be a lie. Was the cigar a hit, sure but I would have been making up things to help sell it and now I would be deceiving the consumer.

The only thing this will do if it is a hit, is fool more people into thinking they are smoking a thing called late harvest tobacco. Which is not a real thing.....

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
The cigar could be outstanding and if it is, congrats to Andre but there is still no such thing as late harvest tobacco.
Would he be essentially just planting later, so he can harvest later in the season?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3

If I told everyone I used Late harvest tobacco in the pork tenderloin, it would be a lie. Was the cigar a hit, sure but I would have been making up things to help sell it and now I would be deceiving the consumer.

The only thing this will do if it is a hit, is fool more people into thinking they are smoking a thing called late harvest tobacco. Which is not a real thing.....

OK, I gotcha.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Pete. You should sprinkle your sticks with the dust of crushed up unicorn horns. You'll be selling em by the truck load! lol

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Pete. You should sprinkle your sticks with the dust of crushed up unicorn horns. You'll be selling em by the truck load! lol
No, no, the semen of a one-eyed leprechaun tastes WAY better sprinkled on a stogie. Have fun retrieving it, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
I take everybody's marketing with a grain of salt. So how Andre positions his products versus Pete versus Dion et al doesn't matter much to me. It's all about the cigar.

In some senses I'm annoyed by Viaje's range of mini-releases, however, if their approach is to buy small lots of tobacco (maybe they don't have the buying power of a Pepin. *shrug*) and make one-off's, then so be it.

Imitation is the best form of flattery. If one is copying another's strategy that is working, that should just affirm that the original is doing something right. Don't hate the player...hate the game :hysterica

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
This late-harvest idea is intriguing to me.

To make a great late-harvest wine, you can't simply let the grapes hang on the vine longer. As the grapes ripen and sugar content increases, the grapes natural acidity begins to decline and without this acidity to balance the sweetness in the wine, you end up with a flabby, cloying wine that won't age well.

Pete said something similar about tobacco, "When the tobacco is ready, it needs to be harvested." However, is it possible with cloudy, cool conditions (but obviously not too cloudy/cool) somewhat like growing in Ecuador, to increase the length of time the tobacco grows before it is ready to harvest in the hopes that this added "hang-time" will result in tobacco with increased complexity/subtlety. I'd be interested to know average growing time from planting to harvest for tobacco in different regions of the world.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This late-harvest idea is intriguing to me.

To make a great late-harvest wine, you can't simply let the grapes hang on the vine longer. As the grapes ripen and sugar content increases, the grapes natural acidity begins to decline and without this acidity to balance the sweetness in the wine, you end up with a flabby, cloying wine that won't age well.

Pete said something similar about tobacco, "When the tobacco is ready, it needs to be harvested." However, is it possible with cloudy, cool conditions (but obviously not too cloudy/cool) somewhat like growing in Ecuador, to increase the length of time the tobacco grows before it is ready to harvest in the hopes that this added "hang-time" will result in tobacco with increased complexity/subtlety. I'd be interested to know average growing time from planting to harvest for tobacco in different regions of the world.
Average is about 70 days but if you have weird growing conditions, then that will change. This number is an average...You don't go out on the 70th day and say time to pick. You need to pay attention to the plant. The plant tells you when it's ready and you have a certain time frame to crop it from there....If you leave it on the plant too long, sure you will get darker leaves but also very bland. It will not add to the complexity. It will only take away from the flavor and strength.......

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Average is about 70 days but if you have weird growing conditions, then that will change. This number is an average...You don't go out on the 70th day and say time to pick. You need to pay attention to the plant. The plant tells you when it's ready and you have a certain time frame to crop it from there....If you leave it on the plant too long, sure you will get darker leaves but also very bland. It will not add to the complexity. It will only take away from the flavor and strength.......
see, that is informative and I don't see any problem with it. Very different, however, to sick of this bullshit, andre needs to stop spewing bullshit, yada yada

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Do you think he's leaving it on longer, or just planting it later in the season? Thus, same grow time, just shifting the timeframe to later in the season? I know very little about tobacco crops, planting, harvesting, etc. so any information is valuable to me.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I took late harvest to mean they were getting a 2nd growing session in and thus the late harvest not leaving the tobacco out there longer than needed.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Do you think he's leaving it on longer, or just planting it later in the season? Thus, same grow time, just shifting the timeframe to later in the season? I know very little about tobacco crops, planting, harvesting, etc. so any information is valuable to me.
I can't say what he's doing exactly but I can say that there is no such thing as late harvest tobacco as an equal to late harvest wine......

Even if you were to plant later in the season, you would still be told by the tobacco when you needed to pick it. Just changing the plant date would still not be the equivalent to late harvest wine.....

And remember, they don't grow the tobacco so I am guessing this might be a line the people that are growing the tobacco are telling him.....Still no such thing.....

Hope this helps.....

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I took late harvest to mean they were getting a 2nd growing session in and thus the late harvest not leaving the tobacco out there longer than needed.

Yes you can get two growing seasons and Jaime does this almost every year but this is not the equivalent to Late Harvest grapes....which was the quote from the interview....

AlexTorres

Professional Tobacconist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, a late harvest tobacco means the crop was planted later than the traditional start of the growing season and had to be grown for a few weeks after the traditional end of a growing season for the tobacco to be mature enough for picking. A late harvest does affect the taste in substantial ways. If you're picking tobacco after the end of the season, the climate has already cooled so the leaves must be dried for a longer period of time in the "casas de tobacco." Late harvesting is just one of the hundreds of known growing methods used to vary taste for that "perfect" blend.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
From my experience, a late harvest tobacco means the crop was planted later than the traditional start of the growing season and had to be grown for a few weeks after the traditional end of a growing season for the tobacco to be mature enough for picking. A late harvest does affect the taste in substantial ways. If you're picking tobacco after the end of the season, the climate has already cooled so the leaves must be dried for a longer period of time in the "casas de tobacco." Late harvesting is just one of the hundreds of known growing methods used to vary taste for that "perfect" blend.
No disrespect to you brother and to the others that have discussed their opinion of what Late Harvest means in regards to tobacco, but Pete's point is that Viaje is comparing their Late Harvest method to that of the wine industry and Pete is saying this simply does not work. If Viaje is doing the Late Harvest method that wine producers do, it does not mean they are simply delaying the planting and harvesting, it means the tobacco is grown longer which Pete is saying does not work with tobacco like it does with wine.

I'm just a regular consumer so I have no clue if this works with tobacco or not. However, I think Pepin & Jaime Garcia are pretty knowledgeable about tobacco and if they (via Pete) say it's not possible, I would tend to believe it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Alex,

I have never heard of this and every person I trust that grows tobacco answered with the complete opposite to your definition. I'm curious where you acquired this information?

From what everyone told me, the plant reaches a point of maturity and needs to be cropped within a certain time frame. Once that time has passed the plant starts to die and the leaves lose strength. They will get darker during fermentation because of the potential exposure to more sun but the leaves will have less strength and flavor.

As far as planting late in the growing season. No growing season is alike and If they were, Jaime would be doing early harvest because his first crop is done during the hotter part of the growing season and he also plants much earlier than other growers.

What happens if the growers have a long summer and the temperature stays the same two weeks after the growing season?

Anyway, This still is no comparison to how they do Late Harvest wine...

Status
Not open for further replies.