What's new

A New Viaje LE! Nuclear Threat,.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The funny thing is, Pete has an AMAZING core line. Unlike Andre, who only seems to sell out his LE stuff. The Brown label and Havana VI line are still in high demand. Who cares about the LE's when the core lines are just as good, if not better. I could say that about Pete, can't say that about Andre. I'd rather have a cigar I can buy whenever I want, than trying to take a stab at an LE. Don't get me wrong, I love LE's, and I like the hype aspect, but damn, this is getting carried away lately... Just produce a damn fine smoke, period, and i don't see why there should ever be an issue...

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Ha!!!

Education is happening, so is clarification.

Late Harvest wine comes from letting grapes, that were planted at the normal time, stay on the vine longer, in order to produce more sugars. Like in a Riesling.

"Late Harvest tobacco" is just planted a bit later in the season, and harvested at it's peak, just like normal.

While this may make some difference in the way the final cigar tastes compared to the same toabacoo grown earlier in the year. It is not comparable to the late harvest wine procedure. And to call it such is bull shit.

The marketing fooled me, I thought he just let the leaves sit out there for an extra few weeks on the stalk.

I'm stoked Pete came in here and explained. Because Andre's explanation is misleading, and might have had me misleading others.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Indeed, a lot of learning is taking place on this one. Thanks to all the input of the guys whose passion for their brand and this hobby is infectious.

I can't wait to try one of these sticks.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Whenever someone or something reaches a certain amount of success, its bound to be duplicated or referenced by others who want to capitalize off that success. That is just the way it is. It seems a lot of people on here, and in the shops I frequent, have seen Pete, his cigars, and his ideas slowly become the company it is today. When I speak with Jose and Jack at Gloucester st, they speak of Pete like a brother and tell stories of how certain projects and cigars came to be, and it always sounds like its done because of the love of the creative process and end result, rather than the money that will be made.

Now that is not to say Andre, or Viaje as a company, lack this process or are only in it for the money. I have never met Andre or heard people talk about how certain LEs came to be so it would not be my place to pass that judgement. I will say that Viaje seems to be following a certain business model that resembles Tatuaje's. I suppose that doesn't mean he is copying Pete, just that some of the moves he makes seem very familiar to those of us who have been smoking Tats for a while (private blend sold in jars, the whole wine reference, a Halloween timed release, etc.). So I can see why there is a certain amount of hostility towards some of these LEs Viaje is putting out. I have been known to make slick comments about them myself, but it really doesn't mean I dislike the cigars or the company itself.

As crazy as it sounds, I almost take it personally because I feel like Pete is one of us. From the few times I met him and smoked with him at Gloucester St, and the comments and info he contributes on here, that is the impression that I get.

I think this fad of LEs and one offs will slowly lose its shine for me eventually. But as a consumer, I understand the fact that these are, after all, businesses. And when your product is hot, you got to flood the streets while you have the demand. If quality products can be produced in small quantities and sell out in two days, I can't really blame either company for continuing to do so.

But, after the LEs are gone, I am going to reach for a Tat or Illuisione from a regular release that is readily available at most any shop I hit up. I will not be reaching for something from Viaje's core line because they just don't really interest me. That choice is based off of the many of each that I have smoked and is just my personal preference.

All of the bashing back and forth is pretty much useless to me now that I think of it. When its all said and done, I will still be smoking what I like and others will be smoking what they like.

I also want to add that it was refreshing seeing Pete's comments in this thread and how he handled himself like a professional. In my opinion, how someone handles themselves in certain situations speaks volumes to the kind of person they are. Definitely a lot of passion and useful information involved in this thread.

AlexTorres

Professional Tobacconist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex,

I have never heard of this and every person I trust that grows tobacco answered with the complete opposite to your definition. I'm curious where you acquired this information?

From what everyone told me, the plant reaches a point of maturity and needs to be cropped within a certain time frame. Once that time has passed the plant starts to die and the leaves lose strength. They will get darker during fermentation because of the potential exposure to more sun but the leaves will have less strength and flavor.

As far as planting late in the growing season. No growing season is alike and If they were, Jaime would be doing early harvest because his first crop is done during the hotter part of the growing season and he also plants much earlier than other growers.

What happens if the growers have a long summer and the temperature stays the same two weeks after the growing season?

Anyway, This still is no comparison to how they do Late Harvest wine...
No, it is deceptive to compare late harvest tobacco to late harvest wine, it's apples to oranges. But, we're not contradicting each other here. You have simply described the traditional late harvest process in more detail.

Bsneed51

Lock and Load
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes from what I know it was grown just for the movie and not during the Fuentes normal growing season.....
And that tobacco does not have the same flavor as the regular Opus profile in my experience. I know several guys who really like the Lost City cigars, but they definitely have a different flavor profile to that tobacco.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Well, there is a lot of great info in this thread. Personally, it is all about the cigar. The cigar should stand on its own. Its either good or its crap. I don't need to defend Pete. My brother more than adequately defends himself. What I will say is, the cigar starts with great quality tobacco. If you look at so many great manufacturers, it starts with the tedious task of watching or careful tending of the tobacco grow from start to finish. Then how the leafs are fermented. Growers like Pepin, Aj Fernandez, Litto Gomez, The Fuentes and a few others have this down to a science. They know the exact moment the leaf has matured. Remember, so many manufacturers buy there leaves from growers.

To make a great cigar, it takes patience. Just as blending a cigar requires skill. I know Pete has a "family" relationship with the Pepins, which aides in making a great product. Do I like all his blends. Hell no, take the Ambos Mundos. I personally don't like this blend. But there are so many people that do.

As for marketing, it requires the ability of knowing how to sell a product. I personally can't stand all of Rocky Patel's cigars. Not in my flavor profile, but the man markets the crap out of his lines. Pete does a great job, so does Dion and the Fuentes. But, some folks seem to feel that copying a marketing strategy is cool. As soon as I saw "Nucelar" as the name of a cigar by Viaje (Farkas) it instantly turned me off. Some say that imitiation is the most sincere way of flattery. It's poor taste in my opinion. But, if I don't like a particular brand, I just don't buy it (Yep, no ROcky stuff for me.) Hell, look at the Olivas and the Nub/Cain. Some laughed at them for this idea, but the Olivas are laughing all the way to the bank.

Pete had the forsight to acquire old Cuban brands to make lines. It is funny when people criticize him for copying the cubans, they don't even realize he owns them. I can't wait for the embargo to be lifted to see all the fighting over brand names. I figure many people are irriatated they didn't acquire the brand names themselves. The Fluer D'Lys is a symbol that is older than many other logos. Many companies, including cigars, clothing, sports teams, have this as their logo. In fact, the French and Canadian GOvernments also have this logo incorporated as their symbols. So I guess everyone copies everyone then.

As for the continued LE releases by Viaje, or for that manner other manufacturers, be careful. You will turn people off. There is a point of enough is enough. I have seen many cigar companies come and go. Take the first cigar boom. Bahia was a hot brand. Where are they now. Sold in the pages/website of Cigars International as cheap cigars.

Simply put, as I said before. Buy what you like, Smoke what you like, but it's all about the cigar itself. If the blend, quality, price and taste can't stand up, then that cigar should disappear. If you don't like a brand, don't buy it.

ahbroody

Daddy X3
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
And that tobacco does not have the same flavor as the regular Opus profile in my experience. I know several guys who really like the Lost City cigars, but they definitely have a different flavor profile to that tobacco.
No dog in this hunt. I have heard similar about the lost city. Never smoked one and its been years since I had an Opus so cant really say.

To anyone writting a small essay here who are not Pete. TLTR.

klipsch

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is just off the top of my head. Not sure what everybody would consider a true LE from what's been released. These are just what I'm aware of since last spring/summer...2010

Tatuaje

(1) Pork Tenderloin
(2) NHC
(3) Face
(4) Barclay Rex
(5) SODO
(6) Anarchy
(7) Black PL Early Release
(8) Federal 109

Viaje

(1) Summerfest
(2) TNT
(3) Satori
(4) Exclusivo
(5) S&B ?
(6) Holiday
(7) WLP
(8) Another S&B

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This is just off the top of my head. Not sure what everybody would consider a true LE from what's been released

Tatuaje

(1) Pork Tenderloin
(2) NHC
(3) Face
(4) Barclay Rex
(5) SODO
(6) Anarchy
(7) Black PL Early Release
(8) Federal 109

Viaje

(1) Summerfest
(2) TNT
(3) Satori
(5) Exclusivo
(6) S&B ?
(7) Holiday
(8) WLP
(9) Another S&B
you're kidding right? tat's is probably 4 times the size of that list, and viaje's almost double that. just guessing here.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
To anyone writting a small essay here who are not Pete. TLTR.
Really? TOo Long to Read. Wow.. No disrespect, but there actually people that know what they are talking about and they are not manufacturers! Sorry, but you are off base on that comment.

Humbly said, if you don't like it, don't read it! People are entitled to their opinion and frankly tolerance is a cornerstone of this board! You don't necessarily need to agree with that opinion, but you should respect it.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I don't know why he bothers me so much... but can Andre create any original idea??? I've never met him so I may be way off, but the perception I get is that he's just a punk ass that steals every good idea out there.
LOL I met him a few times and he is a total dick. Like, grade A asshole. Plus he can't make a good cigar to save his life. He definitely copies everyone and has no original ideas. What a turd. I am still shocked at how big of a prick this guy is. I do not have enough bad words to express how much I hate Andre.

ahbroody

Daddy X3
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
:nodlaugh: So Pete is the only one allowed have a verbose opinion?
Classic...
I just dont think most will care to read. Maybe not though. As to the issue I will read those who are in the industry with knowledge. Maybe others will read opinions. Just see threads like these where people post essays and I know people often dont read. I am sure some do. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.