What's new

A Warning to the Curious: "Dominican Grab-Bag Sampler" from CI/C-Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I get that you guys think these sticks stink but what happened to "smoke what you like?" (personally, I think that's silly but everyone seems to say it.)

I know there are people who look at what I smoke and say "I would never smoke that crap."

I do not smoke most of the stuff that people put pics of on BOTL but I don't go around telling people what they smoke is unsmokable even if I think it.

Maybe someone likes these. Who knows?
Good point. There is a great fear of the unknown. So if nobody has ever tried these then they must be bad, right?

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I get that you guys think these sticks stink but what happened to "smoke what you like?" (personally, I think that's silly but everyone seems to say it.)

I know there are people who look at what I smoke and say "I would never smoke that crap."

I do not smoke most of the stuff that people put pics of on BOTL but I don't go around telling people what they smoke is unsmokable even if I think it.

A good point.... Up to a point. Some people may like them and that's great, but that doesn't mean they're good quality. I don't mean that as a matter of taste, but there's definitely a difference between well-made, aged premium cigars and machine-made short-filler floor sweepings of junk tobacco nobody else wanted to buy. I like a lot cigars others don't like, and vice versa, but I think there's an objective quality issue here. Like comparing a nice 12-year-old single malt scotch with a gallon jug supermarket blend. Or comparing McDonalds to a fine restaurant that uses only organic farm-to-table ingredients.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because it was such a 'good' deal, I picked up 2 of these grab bags. I had been lucky with samplers from CI before. "How bad could they be?" I actually said aloud.
What a fool I was.
I got four 5 packs of identical cigars/ All no name, but none of the ones pictured at the beginning of this thread. The worst part, One of the 5 packs looks like it was stepped on. two were actually crooked when I unwrapped them. I also wasn't expecting any of them to be sweetened. Bleck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Purchase one of the samplers in question and then let us know if you still have that opinion.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Because it was such a 'good' deal, I picked up 2 of these grab bags. I had been lucky with samplers from CI before. "How bad could they be?" I actually said aloud.
What a fool I was.
I got four 5 packs of identical cigars/ All no name, but none of the ones pictured at the beginning of this thread. The worst part, One of the 5 packs looks like it was stepped on. two were actually crooked when I unwrapped them. I also wasn't expecting any of them to be sweetened. Bleck!
I see that you're new here, so first things first, welcome to BOTL!

If you have any of those sticks left, (and if you'll excuse me for plugging my own thread,) you can help raise money for kids in Esteli by smoking those turds and posting reviews here: http://www.botl.org/threads/the-oe15-dog-rocket-challenge.80482/ We've all bought crappy cigars at one point or another, so we might as well have some fun with them!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Purchase one of the samplers in question and then let us know if you still have that opinion.
I don't smoke most of the stuff people think are good because they suck (in my opinion,) why would I smoke that crap? :)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
Ici est la fusée de chien avec l'image du chien:

You sneaky, sneaky man! I asked for a perfectly good USMC dog rocket and you allowed stowaways!

My poor mothers mailbox, it never saw it coming. How could it have known that the jerk visiting would have invited such indescriminate aggression.

@c.ortiz108 You got me good. Thank you, and as requested, a review will be coming.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You sneaky, sneaky man! I asked for a perfectly good USMC dog rocket and you allowed stowaways!

My poor mothers mailbox, it never saw it coming. How could it have known that the jerk visiting would have invited such indescriminate aggression.

@c.ortiz108 You got me good. Thank you, and as requested, a review will be coming.

Not the most amazing bomb I admit, but I couldn't send just a single you're not even going to smoke.

The Puros Nirvana, by the way is for the OE Dog Rocket challenge. KookaRocha asked what he owes me for the USMC stick, and smoking this probably revolting thing for the kids of Esteli is it!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0

I think the "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" idea is that it doesn't matter what other people think about what you smoke, as long as you like it. I don't think that statement has ever meant one shouldn't express an opinion about this cigar or that cigar.

Personally, I'm ok with threads like these. While there may be a particular stick a particular person might like in there, overall most of us would find most of those to be unpalatable, and sharing that knowledge with a new guy who might not know any better could potentially save him time, money, and a bad experience. Learning from others' mistakes, and so on.

CincySyd

'The $5 limit cigar guy'
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st let me say 'howdy', as I am a new member. I look forward to much spirited debate, considering my own personal level of passion, when it comes to this forums main subject matter.

Now, this particular string seems to be a general indictment of the 'Dominican Grab-Bag' of (not-so) goodies being hawked by CI & Cigar online, to name a few. I bought two of them. Received two identical cellophaned bundles for 20 clams, plus shipping. Total $26.00. 1st glance, I have to agree with the general assessment. These cigars look like monkey dung! Oddballs, for the most part. The few that have any pedigree whatsoever, are bundle bridesmaids, for one reason or another. I got 1 Victor Sinclair, but it was a pencil thin lancero called 'El Hippie', of all things. I laughed when I saw the band. Two more were recognizable, but barely. The kind of stuff those Fla. based purveyors actually put into their monthly catalog. I guess someone is buying the stuff regular. Not me. This was a flyer. More to scratch my itch of curiousness, with the bonus of supporting an internet provider that I use almost exclusively.

I can sit here & burn the specimens I received, mainly because they were poor excuses, for the most part. However, I choose to talk about the 6 cigars out of 20, that were pretty good. One was even, pretty darn good & I could smoke again & again. I'm smoking the vitola that led me to this forum. A Connecticut robusto with a red band, labelled in gold, Respect, with a small CMTC on it. Never heard of it. Never saw it before. But it is well constructed, smokes nicely & tastes better than just so-so, zooming all the way to not boring or cloying! Believe me, I have had a lot worse handmades, that cost a whole lot more. A curious churchhill, with a silver & blue band, showing the skyline of 'Seattle' & sharing the name. It's a Victory Cigar, which means it's street grade, long filler stogie that comes with a custom band, for which they charge you 8 simoleans for a $2.50 house type budgie. But again, it's well constructed, burns even & tastes pretty good. This one features? a mottled sun-grown rosato wrapper. Last & by far the best was a maduro with a strangely familiar band. White with black & gold print. Wellington with imported above & hand made below. Again. Never heard of it. Never saw one before. Although, I suspect that the band familiarity means it can be easily confused with a really good & probably expensive cigar. Wish I could remember the one, but I have Irish Alzheimer's. I forget everything but grudges! Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by just how nice this spleef really was. I had two & smoked them both quickly. Wish I had more. I can't find out anything about it. It may be a house label for a fresh rolled, str8 out of Fla. There are still alot of mom & pop cigars shops down that way. Back to the cigar in question. It's a good maduro. Medium bodied, flavors of cocoa, espresso, bitter chocolate & cedar. Nice effortless draw. good construction. Heavy feel. Most of the characteristics we expect to see when we are looking for a solid option. this is & may well have fallen in by mistake, in both bundles! All kidding aside, for what I had invested, I have no buyers remorse. I won't reorder, since 25 bucks for 6 cigars & 14 'yard'gar' dogs or worse, isn't my idea of a good deal. but it's not a bad deal either. I've actually enjoyed 1/4 of the sticks, smoked another 1/4 while gardening, hence 'yard'gars,' & have about 10 vitolas to pass out to mooching buddies. "Here Dick, have a nice La Estrella Cubana Habano Legendario mini torpedo." Yum, Yum. Seriously, it looks like something with a prehensile tail rolled it & tastes like some of that tail got wrapped up with the inferior tobaccos. So, to summarize all the previous babble, don't bother to order this one. If for no other reason than it's Dominican. I know that sounds jaded, but I'm not normally a Dominican tobaccos guy. I'm definitely a Nicaraguan tobaccos guy. Not so much because the former is bad, but because the latter is so damn good. At least in this fulheads mind.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome to the forum - great first post! Sounds like you have more patience than I do, and are more charitable!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Welcome aboard @CincySyd , good post. (y) If it's spirited debate you're looking for I'm sure you'll find it, but I think you'll find less debate, and more camaraderie and good-natured asshattery around here.

But again, welcome to botl. And I'm totally going to steal the phrase "Irish Alzheimer's" for future use, lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.