What's new

Aging cigars-DE and others

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I smoked an L40 last night that had around 2 years on it and I was less than impressed-completely flat and bland. I have put down a good number of Ligas- boxes of FFP, L40, and LP9 and was wondering if all of them are going to as flat as what I had last night. All the others I get, I continue to smoke ROTT and they're great. This is not a bash to DE as they're my second favorite brand but do any brothers have any experience with this?
Any other brands that don't age well and are better in your opinion ROTT?
My favorite is Tatuaje and I've yet to have a stick of theirs that didn't smoke as good or much better with age. Just bummed right now about my DE investment...

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I seem to recall reading a similar post elsewhere/google searched and the consensus was that DE is not the greatest for aging. While I can't speak to it personally, they have been a brand that consistently performs well rott or close to it.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Dude, I think Liga has gone down hill big time. Almost all the Liga I have smoked lately is disappointing compared to how they used to be. I don't even think the Rats are as good. I will say that the JDN lancero and Machito 1970 ages amazingly.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
L9's seem to age out (hitting a point of diminishing returns) and seem to be best - fresh. whereas T52's seem to get better or hold their own.

Lots of threads here about aging cigars and people's individual opinions/ experiences with such.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I stick with smoking the Liga Privada fresh. The only one to taste considerably better for me with age was the T-52, the flavor was more pronounced and rich.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
LP9s are best fresh. T52s I like any time from fresh to a couple years, though they do become less intense.

I think it was Andrew who said his OR LP9s were smoking amazingly again after being quite flat for a while. It's funny, you hear lots of complaints in the NC community about cigars going flat, but the CC community pretty much counts on it happening at some point, and then with enough age, they pick up again.

I have a couple LP9s from '07, '09, and '10 that I'm thinking of lighting up soon, just to see how various lengths of time has affected each.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Dude, I think Liga has gone down hill big time. Almost all the Liga I have smoked lately is disappointing compared to how they used to be. I don't even think the Rats are as good. I will say that the JDN lancero and Machito 1970 ages amazingly.
I'm agreeing with you, for the most part, here. I remember hearing rumors about KFC pigs and thinking 'wow'. Wonder if its because Nicholas Melillo left and Willy stepped in.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Halfwheel has mentioned that Ligas seem to be best fresh.
Not sure what article/review you are referring to, but I'm assuming that's one guy's opinion. And, Drew Estates gives them good money to advertise. I don't disagree, but I put no merit in a business whose main goal is to get the almighty advertising dollar, and from companies who they are "non-biased" against.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I'm agreeing with you, for the most part, here. I remember hearing rumors about KFC pigs and thinking 'wow'. Wonder if its because Nicholas Melillo left and Willy stepped in.
I can't imagine a cigar would change immediately simply because of a couple people changing in/out. They have a set blend, do you really think such a popular cigar would change just because a new guy came on board? That new guy (Willy) will of course help shape the future of DE, but it's doubtful he is changing their current popular blends unless it's needed for a reason like lack of a certain tobacco. What is more likely is that their tobacco is different. Even if they are buying from the same farm, tobacco can taste different from year to year. I don't understand why NC smokers don't discuss this... it is common thought and discussion among CC smokers. Tobacco flavor can change year to year depending on soil conditions, amount of rain they get, amount of sun etc. It won't be a huge change, but can be noticeable. Add to that, it has been known DE is having trouble keeping up with tobacco demand. I'm assuming then that they are sourcing new tobacco suppliers meaning different flavors than what you have been used to.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I can't imagine a cigar would change immediately simply because of a couple people changing in/out. They have a set blend, do you really think such a popular cigar would change just because a new guy came on board? That new guy (Willy) will of course help shape the future of DE, but it's doubtful he is changing their current popular blends unless it's needed for a reason like lack of a certain tobacco. What is more likely is that their tobacco is different. Even if they are buying from the same farm, tobacco can taste different from year to year. I don't understand why NC smokers don't discuss this... it is common thought and discussion among CC smokers. Tobacco flavor can change year to year depending on soil conditions, amount of rain they get, amount of sun etc. It won't be a huge change, but can be noticeable. Add to that, it has been known DE is having trouble keeping up with tobacco demand. I'm assuming then that they are sourcing new tobacco suppliers meaning different flavors than what you have been used to.
Very good points. I didn't really think before I typed that, tbh.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yeah, I haven't noticed a change since the people left. When I meant they have gone downhill I meant it's been that way for me for at least a couple years. Although maybe my palate has changed.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Well, I must be in the small camp that prefers Liga with some age on it. I can't smoke a #9 or a Unico without completely burning out my palate. Give me one with a few years on it and I will enjoy it more, personally.

To quote a wise BOTL... MORE FLAVOR LESS POWER!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Wonder if its because Nicholas Melillo left and Willy stepped in.
If his existing stuff is any indication, Willy's not going to be the cause of DE's downfall, IMHO. I smoked another Hererra Esteli yesterday and it was on point, confirming what I remembered. I've also heard from guys I know and trust that his upcoming maduro is a fantastic stick.