What's new

Aging cigars-DE and others

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
NCs that age best are Opus X and Anejos IMO.

Next would be the heavy oiled and dark wrapper powerhouse Tatuajes.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Wonder if its because Nicholas Melillo left and Willy stepped in.
If his existing stuff is any indication, Willy's not going to be the cause of DE's downfall, IMHO. I smoked another Hererra Esteli yesterday and it was on point, confirming what I remembered. I've also heard from guys I know and trust that his upcoming maduro is a fantastic stick.
I second this. I am personally excited because I am a big fan of Willy. I had my first Herrera lance yesterday and Holy shit..

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Well, I must be in the small camp that prefers Liga with some age on it. I can't smoke a #9 or a Unico without completely burning out my palate. Give me one with a few years on it and I will enjoy it more, personally.

To quote a wise BOTL... MORE FLAVOR LESS POWER!
yeah, but can some of us gluttons have MORE FLAVOR MORE POWER? o)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading some old threads here and in other forums a few weeks ago and found this from 2012 that J. Drew wrote:
Aging Liga Privada:

"Aging cigars is certainly a personal decision and there are many opinions on the matter. In regard to LIga Privada No. 9 and T52, I will attempt to offer some suggestions that have been accumulated:

Liga Privada No. 9: Best to smoke them about one month following purchase, and work through them over a 18 month period.

Liga Privada T52: Best to smoke them six months following purchase, BUT excellent aging cigar that hits miracle status between one year and two years. For guys who really get jazzed on the spice and strength, then I like them straight out the box or within three months, six at the longest.

UNDERCROWN: As stated, three to six months they are hitting like bad boys.

Hope this helps, although the best decisions for aging is made by the smoker himself/herself.

Best,
JD87"

-Chris

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LP9s are best fresh. T52s I like any time from fresh to a couple years, though they do become less intense.

I think it was Andrew who said his OR LP9s were smoking amazingly again after being quite flat for a while. It's funny, you hear lots of complaints in the NC community about cigars going flat, but the CC community pretty much counts on it happening at some point, and then with enough age, they pick up again.

I have a couple LP9s from '07, '09, and '10 that I'm thinking of lighting up soon, just to see how various lengths of time has affected each.
Definitely keep us update when you get around to smoking them.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Based on what I taste, sticks that have tons of ligero get sweeter, and sweeter as time passes (and strength is not impeded). Favorites are OR La Bomba (just started), Cain F Nubs, and Mombacho TM Serie 2006. Also sticks with sungrown wrappers and toothy wrappers age nice and smooth.

....but it really depends on proper storage.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Based on what I taste, sticks that have tons of ligero get sweeter, and sweeter as time passes (and strength is not impeded). Favorites are OR La Bomba (just started), Cain F Nubs, and Mombacho TM Serie 2006. Also sticks with sungrown wrappers and toothy wrappers age nice and smooth.

....but it really depends on proper storage.
Oh shit, I just bought some Mombacho and they are old as hell. I am stoked now.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I agree with Craig.

Old LP9s are fantastic (pre 10)
Old T52s (pre 10) were good aged but I liked them fresh.

After the blend "didn't change" in 2011, LP flavors have gone in a different directions. Just my opinion.

Those of you who are talking newer stuff may not have not experienced good older LPs.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
In the interest of this form:

It's only got about 14 months but still firing on all cylinders!

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
LP9s are best fresh. T52s I like any time from fresh to a couple years, though they do become less intense.

I think it was Andrew who said his OR LP9s were smoking amazingly again after being quite flat for a while. It's funny, you hear lots of complaints in the NC community about cigars going flat, but the CC community pretty much counts on it happening at some point, and then with enough age, they pick up again.

I have a couple LP9s from '07, '09, and '10 that I'm thinking of lighting up soon, just to see how various lengths of time has affected each.
Yeah, that was me. My LP OR9s from '08 or '09 went through a sick period where they had a nasty tannin-like flavor. As of 2013 they are good to go again. Here is what I have learned over the years, YMMV:

Smoke Dirty Rats and LP9s fresh - esp for DRs, the wetter the better
T52s are awesome fresh or with up to 2 years on them if you can actually keep a box that long
FFPs - smoke at 6mo - they need to dry out just a little, but still good with up to 2.5yrs on them - I expect my Dec '11 FFPs to be flat soon
L40 - smoke fresh, age at your peril
UF4 - WET-box that shit like an Anejo Shark, dry as a mofo out of the cello from every year released
UF13 - do WTF you want - always awesome
LP9 pigs - smoke them NOW
T52 pigs - if in a cello-wrapped box will be good forever, if opened smoke now
UC pigs - disappointing with less than 1yr, ORGASMIC at 1yr+

Rating - 100%
84   0   0

Yeah, that was me. My LP OR9s from '08 or '09 went through a sick period where they had a nasty tannin-like flavor. As of 2013 they are good to go again. Here is what I have learned over the years, YMMV:

T52s are awesome fresh or with up to 2 years on them if you can actually keep a box that long
FFPs - smoke fresh, but still good with up to 2.5yrs on them - I expect my Dec '11 FFPs to be flat soon
UF4 - WET-box that shit like an Anejo Shark, dry as a mofo out of the cello from every year released
This is good info right here. Thanks!

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

FFPs - smoke fresh, but still good with up to 2.5yrs on them - I expect my Dec '11 FFPs to be flat soon
This is good info right here. Thanks!
Check back, made some edits/additions. Happy to help.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
It's worth mentioning that I've smoked T52 pigs fresh out of the celo-wrapped box in the past 6mo and they are still sopping wet with awesome. This is the best unico still around today IMHO.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've been pretty disappointed with aging LP9s. .. so I smoke them fesh...never been able to keep the Unicos long enough to be able to see what I think about them aged .. and I don't see that changing lol..