What's new

Aging cigars-DE and others

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I recently had a T52 with a year of age and was disappointed similar to OP. It was flat and bland.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I think the Dirty Rat is the best stick DE makes and absolutely loved the ones I've had with 3 years age on them. The UF-13 is a close second, but no experience with age on them. I also liked the L40 on release, sounds like I better smoke mine up. Anybody smoke a BOTL lance recently?

I used to love Tats and if you can find any before the wrapper change you will be in heaven.

Nothing NC has aged as well as Illusione IMO. They develop these secondary flavors that really give me a reason to age them, other than just waiting for time and desire to smoke something. Wish I had boxes of 08 stuff sitting around instead of only 1 888 left.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I think the Dirty Rat is the best stick DE makes and absolutely loved the ones I've had with 3 years age on them. The UF-13 is a close second, but no experience with age on them. I also liked the L40 on release, sounds like I better smoke mine up. Anybody smoke a BOTL lance recently?

I used to love Tats and if you can find any before the wrapper change you will be in heaven.

Nothing NC has aged as well as Illusione IMO. They develop these secondary flavors that really give me a reason to age them, other than just waiting for time and desire to smoke something. Wish I had boxes of 08 stuff sitting around instead of only 1 888 left.
What wrapper change on Tat?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

Used to be Nicaraguan Corojo a few years ago, now Ecuadorian Corojo

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If the Dirty Rat is supposed to be smoked fresh/wet, and I've had it sitting 4 months at 65%, do I stick it in a Tupperware with a 70% bead bag for a week or two or just smoke as is?

I have a single of many of these htf DE cigars, but haven't smoked one yet because I don't often get the opportunity to just smoke a cigar.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If the Dirty Rat is supposed to be smoked fresh/wet, and I've had it sitting 4 months at 65%, do I stick it in a Tupperware with a 70% bead bag for a week or two or just smoke as is?

I have a single of many of these htf DE cigars, but haven't smoked one yet because I don't often get the opportunity to just smoke a cigar.
Smoke as is.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was reading some old threads here and in other forums a few weeks ago and found this from 2012 that J. Drew wrote:
Aging Liga Privada:

"Aging cigars is certainly a personal decision and there are many opinions on the matter. In regard to LIga Privada No. 9 and T52, I will attempt to offer some suggestions that have been accumulated:

Liga Privada No. 9: Best to smoke them about one month following purchase, and work through them over a 18 month period.

Liga Privada T52: Best to smoke them six months following purchase, BUT excellent aging cigar that hits miracle status between one year and two years. For guys who really get jazzed on the spice and strength, then I like them straight out the box or within three months, six at the longest.

UNDERCROWN: As stated, three to six months they are hitting like bad boys.

Hope this helps, although the best decisions for aging is made by the smoker himself/herself.

Best,
JD87"

-Chris
I like it when a manufacturer steps up and makes these kinds of statements about their product. Who knows better than those who actually are there from the start and know the product better than anyone? Resting cigars is something that takes knowledge and patience because most of us want that cigar ROTT and while there are brands that are pretty good within that first 30 days I've learned with 80% of the cigars I've ever smoked that resting them for the time periods Drew talked about is pretty much correct. Aging cigars is a whole different deal because the time frame is longer..at least 5 years and to age a cigar that long you have to know your cigars pretty well else you run into that problem of them being too bland. I've found that the darker wrappers tend to smoke much better with at least 6 months of rest and up to 18 months as an average. Of course we're looking at subjective tastes as we're not all the same so resting/aging is a personal thing but I take a lot of what the manufacturers tell us about their product to heart....they are around it 24/7.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

I smoked a BOTL lance a month ago. It was my last one and I did not regret putting fire to it.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
This thread sparked my interested to light up more of my DE "collectibles". So, about a week ago, I tried an L40 that also has about 14 or so months on it.

I am happy to report that this one was also still spot on (IMO), it also fired on all cylinders (just like the DR I had a week or two before it), all the way down to the nub. Not as much of a kick as the DR, but it has it's own spiciness the whole way through and creamy as you would think with the amount of smoke these things put out. Just thought I'd share even though it's not as aged as you may want to.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I smoked a 601 blue tonight that had 2yrs on it and it wasn't near as good as the other ones I smoked that had less than a yr. I know that this thread relates more to DE blends but figured I'd add my 2 cents

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Used to be Nicaraguan Corojo a few years ago, now Ecuadorian Corojo
I know this is a DE thread, but what year did the wrappers of the Tat's change?

Also, looks like I need to start smoking my Liga's that I keep saving for that "special moment".

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the #9 is like a '64 Padron, give them a couple of months to acclimate in humidity and smoke them before 6 months. The T52 seems to be good a little longer and I had an FFP a few weeks ago that had been sitting for a year that was outstanding.

GVH

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just remember - aging is a synonym for decaying. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, so to speak. Maybe some cigars decay better than others? I like my DE sticks with just a week or two of rest - and then they burn.