What's new

Any anglers out there?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Got my first smallmouth bass of the year on Sunday. I never would have guessed by the way it crushed my jerkbait but it ended up being a dink. Still my first river smallie !
River smallies are probably the most fun fishing you can have, especially on a light rod and reel. Those things know how to put up a fight!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
River smallies are probably the most fun fishing you can have, especially on a light rod and reel. Those things know how to put up a fight!
Couldn't agree more, brother. Tie a string to the tail of a 3lb river smallie then to the tail of a 3lb river largie and the smallie will drown the largie.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Have you ever gone steelhead fishing out west or around the Great Lakes? Hands down the hardest fighting fresh water fish out there.
Couldn't agree more, brother. Tie a string to the tail of a 3lb river smallie then to the tail of a 3lb river largie and the smallie will drown the largie.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Have you ever gone steelhead fishing out west or around the Great Lakes? Hands down the hardest fighting fresh water fish out there.
I haven't had the pleasure, brother. However, it's on my list. There is a good steelhead run just a few hundred miles from me and I've never been able to make it. I have friends that have and they echo what you're saying.
I have, however, caught redfish( known around here as red drum or puppy drum) on light tackle and they would drown a same size smallie with little effort.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I haven't had the pleasure, brother. However, it's on my list. There is a good steelhead run just a few hundred miles from me and I've never been able to make it. I have friends that have and they echo what you're saying.
I have, however, caught redfish( known around here as red drum or puppy drum) on light tackle and they would drown a same size smallie with little effort.
aren’t they a saltwater fish?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Definitely saltwater. I was just comparing it to a hard fighting fish. Someday I'll make the trip to upstate NY and get in on the steelhead run. It's on my list right beside hitting south FL for some tarpon.
Tarpon and peacock bass are real high on my list to fish for.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Nice! At least you're getting out there. I'm still trying to get out there myself.
Soon, I will be making up for lost time!
Yeah I live on one of the best bass lakes in the country, Lake Guntersville, but I hardly ever fish it. Guess I got burned out on it from fishing it as a kid all the time. Plus it gets so much tourism & tournament traffic now that it’s really over fished. Nowadays I like to travel with the kayaks & camper & fish other locations. I’ve got a trip to the gulf coming up in September that I’m pretty excited for. Might try & make another river trip somewhere close before then too. If you haven’t tried kayak fishing, I highly recommend it. If you don’t have a boat it’s a great, fairly inexpensive, way to get back into the sport. I’ve had several boats in the past, but when pulling the camper I can’t tow a boat too. But honestly, I don’t really miss it & actually catch more fish from the yak.

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well idk if I could claim the title angler, but I fish quite a bit...mainly at my lake house on Lake of the Ozarks. I find pics often tell the story better than I can so:
20180624_114120.jpg
20180624_114222.jpg
Some crappie caught 2 weekends past.
20180303_115736.jpg
Trout from a pond stocked by MO game andfish. Caught on crappie candy.
20171125_114347.jpg
And me in all my 300lb glory. We seem to catch alot of good sized kitties off the dock. In fact, most of my best fishing happens there. I get small and large mouth bags, though tbh I catch the best LM up the fresh water creek in the spring and fall.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Well idk if I could claim the title angler, but I fish quite a bit...mainly at my lake house on Lake of the Ozarks. I find pics often tell the story better than I can so:
View attachment 118364
View attachment 118365
Some crappie caught 2 weekends past.
View attachment 118366
Trout from a pond stocked by MO game andfish. Caught on crappie candy.
View attachment 118367
And me in all my 300lb glory. We seem to catch alot of good sized kitties off the dock. In fact, most of my best fishing happens there. I get small and large mouth bags, though tbh I catch the best LM up the fresh water creek in the spring and fall.
Nice!!! Cornmeal & oil:)

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Nice!!! Cornmeal & oil:)
Well I used to cook my spoonbill in cornmeal, so I tend to lean away from the sweetness it gives. I found a very cheap alternative that is delicious...fryin magic. It can be found in walmarts country-wide. It comes in a box and is like a dollar...but I swear you don't need to season it and it has just the right amount of salt for them thar crappie.