What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I’m looking to purchase one of these two table saws, and I wanted to know if one was a clear-cut (no pun intended) winner over the other. Anyone have any advice as to which one I should buy?

Table Saw #1: General International model 50-185M1 :: $250 :: 2 HP, 2004
IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1475.JPG IMG_1472.JPG IMG_1469.JPG

Table Saw #2: Jet Model # JTS-10JF :: $250 :: 1.5 HP - 1 PHASE 115/230V Rewired to 115V

jet1.jpg jet2.jpg jet3.jpg jet4.jpg

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You guys are light years ahead of me, but i really enjoy making stuff for the wife and her friends. Im not great, but just good enough to get away with the type of stuff i build. Im a pipefitter by trade, so im used to working with steel. Wood is a completely different ballgame but im having fun trying to figure it out. Heres a few pictures of a few of the things i have made recently

Attachments

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
We bought our house earlier this year so I figured I'd give woodworking a try, now that I have someplace to setup shop.
upload_2017-10-28_8-57-12.png
Here's my modest setup. It's small but it works.

The first thing I made was a small bench for my wife
upload_2017-10-28_8-58-15.png

I just used a 2x4 and put it together by drilling pocket holes and using screws.

upload_2017-10-28_8-59-14.png

I found a 2x4 with a nice color pattern and matched it up to create the lighter strip in the middle. I hand planed the tops and outsides which really brought out the grain pattern nicely. Then finished it with a mixture of varnish and tung oil.

Here is my first attempt at hand fitting joinery. I cut the dovetails with a CHEAP Irwin dovetail saw (it might do ok if I sharpen it and set the teeth and such). I finished fitting them with chisels and they fit tightly even with the gaps. It's made out of red oak and I finished it with pure Tung oil. My wife is going to use it as a thread shelf.

upload_2017-10-28_9-4-36.png

Next up I'm working on a very, very simple little table.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I’m looking to purchase one of these two table saws, and I wanted to know if one was a clear-cut (no pun intended) winner over the other. Anyone have any advice as to which one I should buy?

Table Saw #1: General International model 50-185M1 :: $250 :: 2 HP, 2004
View attachment 103490 View attachment 103491 View attachment 103492 View attachment 103494

Table Saw #2: Jet Model # JTS-10JF :: $250 :: 1.5 HP - 1 PHASE 115/230V Rewired to 115V

View attachment 103495 View attachment 103496 View attachment 103497 View attachment 103498
I bought the General International. Talked him down to $225. I joined the LumberJocks forum, and a bunch of people over there said it's a great saw and $225 is a great price.

The thing weighs like 300 lbs. No exaggeration. The miter gauge alone must weight like 10lbs, lol. Biesemeyer clone fence. Cast Iron table and side tables. Had to disassemble it just to get it into my basement workshop. Can't wait to get it all setup, cleaned up, and get a fresh blade on it.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought the General International. Talked him down to $225. I joined the LumberJocks forum, and a bunch of people over there said it's a great saw and $225 is a great price.
Congrats on the new-old saw. I wish mine had cast iron extensions. If you're looking for blade recommendations, I've had very good luck with Infinity Cutting Tools. I have their 24T glue line rip and 60T fine crosscut blades. They aren't Forrest blades but they're modestly priced and give a lot of bang for the buck. Their Dadonator stack is very highly rated and is in the upper tier of my wish list.

My acquisition of the week: after experimenting with alternative methods of marking my pieces (ink stamp, water-slide decal) I finally broke down and ordered a custom "branding iron"...

I got it from High Heat Stamps via Amazon after seeing a few posts about them come through my Facebook feed. Rather than having a head of cast or engraved metal, this one is made of impressed carbon and a sizable piece of it at that, to hold heat longer for multiple impressions. The cost was reasonable and I was impressed by the turn-around time: ordered it on the 25th, in my mailbox on the 30th. They tested the stamp on a scrap of wood which they shipped with it. Even so, I had to play with it a little bit last night, using a scrap of cherry and I was please with the results in spite of not yet having "the touch" in using it.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Ok, so I can barely change a light bulb. I almost call IT to change the paper in the printer when it is out but this is what I made today with help from a friend and his power tools. In all seriousness I am not a crafty person or a DIYer. However I am pretty excited how these turned out.

The bottom shelf is the original that came with my wineador and the top three were made by myself.

All the credit goes to my buddy who forced me to do it. Made me do the cutting and putting everything together. Maybe he helped a little. But just a little.

Fozgate

Maker of Sharp Things #MCGA
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You really know how to handle hardwood!
...and you resisted the temptation to write it as “hard wood”!

That is a right nice cutting board. I have one in the works myself...that is, it’s sitting in the cutoff bin in a complete state of disassembly. I scored a piece of red heart from my wood monger’s shorts bin that I want to work into one. Maybe that canoe paddle cheese board I’ve been pondering...along with some of that curly maple upthread.

But I’m currently in the middle of prepping some craftsman style door trim for my hallway project. Pics later.

Last edited:

Fozgate

Maker of Sharp Things #MCGA
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
But I’m currently in the middle of prepping some craftsman style door trim for my hallway project. Pics later.
Up to this point, I preassembled the caps, then primed and pre-painted everything with a first coat. Today, I started putting it up.

It sure beats the heck out of the old home center door casing. The previous owners must’ve gotten a good deal on it because they used it everywhere...door trim and as baseboards.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There are some really talented guys on here.

I refinished and repaired a lot of furniture when I had homes built in the 1920's and 1930's. I pretty much sold all of my tools when I moved from FL.

I used to dabble in some repurposing of things as well. Recently I picked up a bathroom drawer stack and recently repurposed it into a surround table for my Coolidor and faced it with barn wood from our old family farm. It's rough but my wife says it works for her. The drawer will be for cutters, lighters, etc.

I need to find the right top for it as it will be the bartop for a wall mount bar cabinet that I haven't started yet. It's actually a display cabinet at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I feel like I have to ask this because I haven’t seen any pictures but has any one of you talented craftsmen thought about making a nice big wooden humidor? Or does everyone pretty much default to a coolidor these days?