What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Also very, very nice. I have no inlay skills yet, either.

Just a couple of minor things in the shop today. The Formica for my outfeed table came in this week, so I’m finishing up the patching of screw holes in the side of the tabletop blank I screw clamped.

Next, I worked on my crosscut sled. One minor annoyance of having a new table saw...that I’m glad to put up with...is that the old sled doesn’t line up with the blade on the new saw. I picked up some West System epoxy and filler yesterday, taped the saw kerf off this morning, and pour in the patch.

I’ll clean it up tomorrow, recut the kerf, and see how square the fence is.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Finally got some shop time yesterday. I cut a new kerf in my crosscut sled and made a flip cut on some scrap plywood to check square. Dead on. Just to double check, I ripped a square edge on the outfeed blank and made a skim cut on the sled. Nuts on. Color me shocked. Thought for sure I’d have to tweak the fence.

So I cut the blank to final dimensions and laminated one side before calling it a day. I had to call it the underside because an unnoticed piece of schmutz was trapped under the laminate, making a subtle pimple. Fortunately, laminating the top today was without incident:

I bought a few boards of maple Friday so next session, I’ll start milling the edge pieces.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some quality garage-time in over the weekend and finished another epic project: 4 Festool tool cabinets. In the photo, you can see the left-hand double cabinet, and the right-hand double cabinet book-ending the Craftsman workbench. It's total geek OCD stuff, but it sure was fun. Plus, I finally have a place to put my Festoomidor!

Custom systports placed, small.jpg

Custom systports festoomidor, small.jpg

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I got some quality garage-time in over the weekend and finished another epic project: 4 Festool tool cabinets. In the photo, you can see the left-hand double cabinet, and the right-hand double cabinet book-ending the Craftsman workbench. It's total geek OCD stuff, but it sure was fun. Plus, I finally have a place to put my Festoomidor!

View attachment 108342

View attachment 108343
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! I just threw my panties at the screen!

Hot damn, bro! I'd plan a trip to wherever-the-hell you are just to see this shop and that bad ass Festoomidor! That's hilarious and awesome!

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
...finished another epic project: 4 Festool tool cabinets.
You, sir, are a scaly-tailed rat bastard and I hate you with a burning passion. Okay...maybe that was a tad over the top but I am envious. I have but one Systainer containing a Carvex 420. I’d really like to get the Domino.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A little progress on the outfeed table: front and rear edging glued up; side edging and hinge blocks glued up and rough cut to size. The small piece is a routing template for the hinge block. Gluing up the edges drove me to finally buy the compact router I’ve been eyeballing for a long time, the Dewalt 1.25hp DW611. I used it to flush trim the edging and man, it was so much nicer than trying to balance the 2.25hp Dewalt on a narrow edge.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've been out of the shop too long. I think it will be fun to add a built-in to my drab, utilitarian living room. We've turned the living room over to the kids as we spend most of our social time in the basement. That's where the big TV and couches are.
I want to upgrade the living room with a classy set of book shelves and cabinets. I think that will make if feel warmer and more inviting with the goal to be an area to host company or sit quietly and read. Just now working through first concepts. Any feedback or concept ideas are most appreciated, especially around trim details. I prefer traditional over modern. I plan to put a hardwood floor in here as a future project.

The boring wall...it is 13'-1" long with 9' ceiling.
wall_1.jpg

Initial concept drawing...obviously not to scale and subject to many changes...please excuse my art abilities. My first thought is red oak or cherry. The existing baseboard and trim is red oak. I'm looking for ideas on trim details.
concept.jpg

I like this look...

Anyhow...I'm pulling together ideas for now with the goal of building it this spring. I would love to see photos of anything you guys have done or other neat ideas to maximize the space.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I want to do a built-in for our living room entertainment area. Looking forward to seeing your results.

I spent some time in the shop this morning making slow progress on my outfeed table:

I glued up the side edging, trimmed it with the compact router, pattern routed the hinge block profile, and trued everything up with the LA block plane and a card scraper. I’ve still got some sanding to do because it’s time for a birthday cigar.