What's new

Anyone Raise Their Own Food?

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
That's about 25 gallons worth. Ended up with just over a gallon and a half of syrup so at 40/1 that would be about 65-70 gallons of sap.
After trying pure Maple syrup I can't do the corn syrup/ maple flavoring junk anymore. I knew it too quite a bit of sap to make your own, but wasn't sure how much. How much sap will a good sized tree produce when it's tapped?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
After trying pure Maple syrup I can't do the corn syrup/ maple flavoring junk anymore. I knew it too quite a bit of sap to make your own, but wasn't sure how much. How much sap will a good sized tree produce when it's tapped?
I had 8 taps out this year (1 tree had 2 taps). It really varies on weather. This was my first year doing it. I had a good year but people south not so much. you need a hard freeze at night and sun and 40s in the day.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I had 8 taps out this year (1 tree had 2 taps). It really varies on weather. This was my first year doing it. I had a good year but people south not so much. you need a hard freeze at night and sun and 40s in the day.
That is very cool stuff IMO. Thanks for answering my questions.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Approximately, what is the cost of raising a pig and having it processed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We were pretty much right at $500 total for everything. So processed and in the freezer was $3.68 a lb.

We do a small co-op every year with 5-6 families in it. Our friends down the road raise and feed them and everyone pays for their part of it. Pretty much pays for their time and hassle.

I believe last year we were right around $2.80 a lb, but someone backed out at the last minute and we bought their pig.