What's new

AR-15 Build Thread

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
LaRue makes a great gun... and thats a great price on that trigger.. I remember when they were selling them north of $200..

Ive still got 2x more lowers in the safe.. I might have to think about picking up one of those MBT's and going with a higher end build on the next gun (the one above was super cheap.. $19 for the pistol grip on sale.. got the stock in the cabelas bargain cave for $28.. LPK was on clearance for $49 including the buffer tube.. lower was caught on sale for $39... and I caught the complete upper with BCG and CH on PSA's Fathers Day sale for $259...the cantilever was also in the cabelas bargain cave and was $35...the MBUS were free (friend gave them to me.. he was going to throw them away).. and the optic was a prize that was won by my wife last year in a competition.. it was just sitting in the safe as well.. so total cost to build that gun was only $429 to include the cost of the optic and mount...)..
You can build a quality lead slinger without forking over a ton of cash, luckily the marketplace has a lot of vendors to choose from and if you are patient and know what to look for you can piece together a quality AR without killing the wallet. I only have about $600 into my 300 blackout build so far (but that is considering the $280 trigger was given to me so that saved me a ton). I still need to get a good red dot for it and plan to apply for a can to really take advantage of what the round has to offer. I have another lower I need to start building on as well, just haven't decided to go with a thumper 458 socom or a more realistic 6.5 grendel.
I believe we are in a period that the ARFers would call the 'salad days' :cool:(y)
I currently have 4 MBT triggers (1@$125/3@$99) and will be purchasing at least 2 more during this sale.(y)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Reading this thread gives me a warm tingly feeling inside. It Also makes me regret not doing a nice ar build in my single days.
My first AR build took me like 7 years of gathering parts.... Then I built 3 the following year... :eek:
Once I get started I'm always amazed at how fast parts start showing up at my doorstep. I really need to settle on a caliber for the next build and get started.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m contemplating a 9mm AR build. I’m looking at a lefty configuration because I have to shoot all long guns lefthanded due to my eyesight. My right eye can’t be fully corrected. My current AR-15 is a lefthand model I got from Stag Arms. It is nice not to have brass ejecting in front of your eyes. Stag makes a lefthanded lower for a 9mm AR modified to fit a 9mm Colt magazines although I would prefer one that used Gock mags. Because I’m right handed by nature, I need all the controls set up ambi. I naturally want to do things with my right hand so I want the controls to work for either hand that goes to work something.

I’m trying to standardize on ammo. I have a Glock 35 and Springfield XDm Both in .40 S&W. I Converted them from .40 to 9mm using specific conversion barrels (you can go .40 to 9mm but not 9mm to .40). My 1911’s are all in .45 ACP (except my EMP-3’’ 9mm) and will remain that way. Them I’ll have my AR-15 in .223/5.56 plus I have a .22LR conversion kit for it. I’m always on the lookout for a 9mm, Smith & Wesson 986 revolver. If the sh#t ever hits the fan, I figure 9mm, .45 and .223/5.56 are most common and should be easier to find. Plus I reload for 9mm, .40, .45 and 5.56.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
PAGING @Opie !!
@Opie - we got a live one - The panda has empty storage!
Bahaha, this thread will just make Adam mad....

Or make him buy property in another state.. ;)
I live in CT and we can't own the evil black killy guns :mad:. This thread only gives me gun envy and makes me want to move.
as for the panda, we have an alliance towards a common target, he's safe. you, not so much. I like his idea though, I have lots of empty space in my gun safe :D:D

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I live in CT and we can't own the evil black killy guns :mad:. This thread only gives me gun envy and makes me want to move.
as for the panda, we have an alliance towards a common target, he's safe. you, not so much. I like his idea though, I have lots of empty space in my gun safe :D:D
So what your saying is I need to build an AR in your honor since you can’t. Roger that, I’ll have to start working on the Opie gun. ;)

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
That's cold.:wideyed:

That's really, really, cold. :ROFLMAO:

@Opie , I'm trying to remember my grade school geography... You're pretty much surrounded. MA, NY, etc.

What about RI or PA? And NH isn't too far. (y)(y)(y)(y)
I'm surrounded by a sea of blue states....
it's not that I don't have any nearby states where I could purchase such a thing, but I'd never be able to take it out and shoot it. All the "pre-ban" black evil guns are registered and have certificates you better have with you at the range. seems pointless to have one that collects dust in a closet :(

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

@Opie , I'm trying to remember my grade school geography... You're pretty much surrounded. MA, NY, etc.

NO York isn't any better. It absolutely sucks here too.

I think @Opie doesn't realize until now, I'm just across the Long Island sound to his stomping grounds :cigar:

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

I can’t say much, Colorado is headed down the same path. And if nothing else, by now haven’t you learned I’m cold hearted Harlan?