What's new

AR-15 Build Thread

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The bcm is the way to go if you have to scrimp. (It's what I'm running now since I had to put the raptor on the "wifle" and can't afford another right now) But once you've had a raptor, you'll never be happy with anything else.
"wifle" That's awesome! Just takes a minute to swap, you know.

And the new BCM's cost almost what the Raptors do. Not much scrimping anymore.

I’ve been eyeing the raptor. The problem is that I need two, one for the 5.56 and one for the 300 blk.
Have you looked at the Raptor LT? Don't have one myself, but not many ambis cost any less than it usually goes for.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I’ll third the Raptor, I run them on all my rifles. You can catch them on sale for around $50-60 if you watch for the sales

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0

My 2018 pig popper.. (decided I needed to bust my next TX hog with an AR instead of the 308 bolt gun I normally use)..

SOLGW lower, PSA lower parts kit, PSA upper, Mission First minimalist stock, magpul pistol grip, mbus sights, Burris PEPR cantilever mount, and a riton 3-9x40 optic.. should be just the right medicine for the next aporkalypse...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Any LaRue fans in here? MBT triggers are on sale for $87 until Christmas.
LaRue makes a great gun... and thats a great price on that trigger.. I remember when they were selling them north of $200..

Ive still got 2x more lowers in the safe.. I might have to think about picking up one of those MBT's and going with a higher end build on the next gun (the one above was super cheap.. $19 for the pistol grip on sale.. got the stock in the cabelas bargain cave for $28.. LPK was on clearance for $49 including the buffer tube.. lower was caught on sale for $39... and I caught the complete upper with BCG and CH on PSA's Fathers Day sale for $259...the cantilever was also in the cabelas bargain cave and was $35...the MBUS were free (friend gave them to me.. he was going to throw them away).. and the optic was a prize that was won by my wife last year in a competition.. it was just sitting in the safe as well.. so total cost to build that gun was only $429 to include the cost of the optic and mount...)..

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
LaRue makes a great gun... and thats a great price on that trigger.. I remember when they were selling them north of $200..

Ive still got 2x more lowers in the safe.. I might have to think about picking up one of those MBT's and going with a higher end build on the next gun (the one above was super cheap.. $19 for the pistol grip on sale.. got the stock in the cabelas bargain cave for $28.. LPK was on clearance for $49 including the buffer tube.. lower was caught on sale for $39... and I caught the complete upper with BCG and CH on PSA's Fathers Day sale for $259...the cantilever was also in the cabelas bargain cave and was $35...the MBUS were free (friend gave them to me.. he was going to throw them away).. and the optic was a prize that was won by my wife last year in a competition.. it was just sitting in the safe as well.. so total cost to build that gun was only $429 to include the cost of the optic and mount...)..
You can build a quality lead slinger without forking over a ton of cash, luckily the marketplace has a lot of vendors to choose from and if you are patient and know what to look for you can piece together a quality AR without killing the wallet. I only have about $600 into my 300 blackout build so far (but that is considering the $280 trigger was given to me so that saved me a ton). I still need to get a good red dot for it and plan to apply for a can to really take advantage of what the round has to offer. I have another lower I need to start building on as well, just haven't decided to go with a thumper 458 socom or a more realistic 6.5 grendel.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
My next build needs to be for deer.
Been waffling back and forth on caliber and platform (AR10 or 15).
Lots of options out there, but can't seem to get off the fence.
Anyone here build one for deer.
Would be for Minnesota Whitetail, < 150 yards.

**Edit**
Forgot to add... It's for my kids, so looking at keeping recoil /power towards the lower end (but still ethical).
5.56/223 is legal, but even with proper bullet selection, I'd rather go one step up.

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
My next build needs to be for deer.
Been waffling back and forth on caliber and platform (AR10 or 15).
Lots of options out there, but can't seem to get off the fence.
Anyone here build one for deer.
Would be for Minnesota Whitetail, < 150 yards.

**Edit**
Forgot to add... It's for my kids, so looking at keeping recoil /power towards the lower end (but still ethical).
5.56/223 is legal, but even with proper bullet selection, I'd rather go one step up.
Tough call man. Blackout probably. Especially if you have plans for a can. Otherwise I'd go Grendel for ammo selection. Either way get a good adjustable block to tune the gas system to get the low recoil you want.
Fwiw, the pws fsc is the least "blasty" comp I've found for when not running a can.