Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
A great beer day!
Had a tasting of
Pliny the elder
Maine brewing co lunch
Maine brewing co limited release wine casked IPA?
DFH Aprihop
Magic hat 9 (to see how it compared to the Aprihop)
A couple more IPA,s I cannot remember

Finishing off the night with a left hand milk stout!

I feel like Adam!

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Had some '10 Black Chocolate Stout, mmmm. Mike walked in like the baller he is and shared some KBS from last year, GOOD STUFF! Thanks brother

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
A great beer day!
Had a tasting of
Pliny the elder
Maine brewing co lunch
Maine brewing co limited release wine casked IPA?
DFH Aprihop
Magic hat 9 (to see how it compared to the Aprihop)
A couple more IPA,s I cannot remember

Finishing off the night with a left hand milk stout!

I feel like Adam!
Hope that dude ain't driving..... Better clear the sidewalk!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Was excited to share some BOTL IPA today with a good friend celebrating my son's birth, but as soon as I cracked it, suds kept flowing out of the bottle. I poured it into a glass to find tons of big chunky sediment. Sad to say, the bottle went down the drain. Very sad as this beer is really good. I guess I sat on it too long... :(

Next pour, Pliny the Elder. :)

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Was excited to share some BOTL IPA today with a good friend celebrating my son's birth, but as soon as I cracked it, suds kept flowing out of the bottle. I poured it into a glass to find tons of big chunky sediment. Sad to say, the bottle went down the drain. Very sad as this beer is really good. I guess I sat on it too long... :(

Next pour, Pliny the Elder. :)
Just took a look at my bottle as well and appears to be the same thing. Does this mean the beer is bad and not drinkable?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It really depends. All the bottles had small amounts of yeast to begin with. If you pour carefully you can leave the yeast sediment behind. Sometimes there's more or less. The foaming was likely from a slight miscalculation on someone's part with the sugar to carbonate the beer. The alcohol level and hopping shouldn't allow it to be "bad". There's always the chance a wild yeast strain got in the bottle and caused over carbonation too.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Had a pretty good night last night:
Fat Tire - First one and thought it was a really good "anytime" brew
Sweetwater Exodus Porter - Had a couple of these...really like them
Jolly Pumkin Calablaza Blanca - Good but not my favorite...tasted like orange peel to me
Ommegon Adoration - Another okay one...not one that I would hunt down
Schlafly Reserve Imperial Stout 2011 - Really like this beer...was very good

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Another possible cause of increased sediment would be protein precipitation. These beers are not filtered. When the beer is at room temp it is usually very clear but then when you cool it down the beer hazes up. That's because the proteins that are still in the beer precipitate out and you can see them as chill haze. If the beer is held at fridge temps long enough they will settle out as slight sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Filtered beers don't have this problem because the proteins and yeast sediment are stripped out of the beer prior to bottling.

Either way the sediment is just a little bit of extra protein and yeast (b vitamins). The sediment acts as hangover prevention for me.