What's new

Best Cutters?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the new xikar v-cutter. An excellent cut every time. I've even used it on torpedoes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired a Cuban Crafters Perfecto cutter a couple months back & haven't used anything else since. It's stainless steel, well-built, and virtually idiot-proof - which makes it a great choice for me! :blob:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I forgot that you asked about big ring gauge cutters. I got a Colibri Slyce specifically to handle big cigars. They say it can cut up to a 64 RG, and I suspect you could actually go a bit bigger if needed. I don't use it all the time, but so far, so good..

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I have a faux-walnut Palio guillotine, one of the aluminum teardrop xicars, and a pair of xicar mtx multitool/scissors.

I rarely use the teardrop xicar, even though I like the design and it has great blades, as it feels clunky in my hand, and I have a hard time getting the cut "just right" with the spring-action working against me. It's also a little heavy/clunky to have riding around in your pocket, but that's my fault for picking up the one with the metal casing.

Blades on the Palio are just as good, and I find it easier to use than the Xi. Also, it has a curvature to the plastic that allows you to rest your stick on it, if you find yourself without a cigar-sized ashtray. It's lightweight, and the profile is slim even in the protective case. I also like the larger-than-average thumbholes, as I'm a big fella with a "mickey mouse-esque" set of man-hands.

But more than anything, I tend to use the multitool. The blades are sturdy, every bit as sharp as the others (which, again, are all quality blades, imo), and I like the smoothness that I can get from cutting with the scissors. Admittedly, the tools on the thing are pretty much worthless, but I'm sure one of these days I'll find a use for the screwdriver. The thing is very small when folded, lightweight, and seems quite durable. They're not great for cutting anything north of a 55rg, but I tend to expect that with any cutter. (As an aside, I regularly see them posted for $25/free ship on www.cigarmonster.com, where the others tend to retail in the $40-50+ range.)

All of these cutters have great "no-hassle" warranties, and I'd recommend any of them. It's really just a matter of what feels best for you.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
Sorry I don't have a link. I think they have quit making that model. I picked mine up about 5-6years ago on c-bid for $13.00! Haven't seen them in a while, sorry.
Here is a link to the SAK I currently use. I like it best out of all the cutters I have.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-16630-Implement-Ergonomic-Stainless/dp/B001EI71WC"]Amazon.com: Wenger 16630 Swiss Army Knife With Cigar Cutter Implement Ergonomic Design 2.5-Inch Blade Stainless Steel: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dBa-LGGiL.@@AMEPARAM@@41dBa-LGGiL[/ame]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of the original Davidoff double-blade cutter (and I've tried or used most of the cutters on the market).

But the cutter that I think is the best is the Paul Garmirian single blade cutter. It's super sharp and does a great job.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nvm found the plastic ones for $20 on his website. The metal ones are pretty much priceless.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Love my Palio. Good price and great straight cut... can't go wrong with that cutter.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Have been using xikar for the last 5 years. Over the last year the mtx scissors. I keep them on my key chain and love them. I recently bought a palio because everyone here seems to like them a lot. The Palio hands down is the best cutter I've ever used.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Xikars but got a Palio after reading so many reccommendations and must say I do still prefer my Xikars. I find more resistence with the cut when using the Palio, whilst the Xikars give a nice easy action.
Could be that I am just so used to the Xikars, but they work better for me.