What's new

Best Cutters?

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking my cigars may be under humidified because they have a tendency to crack when I cut. However I noticed my cutter was struggling a bit to make a cut. I'm using a Colibri at the moment. I used my buddies a few weeks ago and his was newer, and it cut through the cigar effortlessly. So they certainly dull over time. I've heard some companies claim theirs don't dull ever, but IDK...
I just reread this thread from the beginning (the quote above), so I thought I'd respond directly to it. Before you toss your Colibri (or any cutter) when it seems to get dull, try this: Take a Q-tip, dip it in alcohol, and rub the cutting edges of the blades. Then let it dry, and give it a shot. You should really do this with every cutter from time to time.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Picked up a Xi3 STK titanium nitride coated cutter recently...took 3 cuts to get used to it...been putting it through its paces and I find I'm preferring it over my carbon fibre palio....find I have more control over my cuts with the Xi3

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought my Palio cutter back in early 2009. I have had it for about 2.5 years. It still cuts flawlessly and with out any effort. I would say that I cut probably 6 cigars a week with it so it gets some use. Deffinitly worth looking into. the cheapest runs around 35 bucks and the most expensive I think is in the 45 dollars range

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought my Palio cutter back in early 2009. I have had it for about 2.5 years. It still cuts flawlessly and with out any effort. I would say that I cut probably 6 cigars a week with it so it gets some use. Deffinitly worth looking into. the cheapest runs around 35 bucks and the most expensive I think is in the 45 dollars range
That is pretty awesome! I will have to take a peek at those! I hear a ton of great things about them.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once you get to the group of cutters that are generally acknowledged as among the best (Palio, Xikar, SAK, etc.), the best cutter is the one that feels best in your hand. All 3 of the ones I just mentioned feel and work very differently from each other. Try to use them and then make a choice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All cutters are going to dull, some just take longer than others. There are two ways you can go with the cutters.

1- Stick with the cheaper cutters that you can get at a local cigar shop or event (don't pay more than $1 if that) normally they have a logo. These cutters will work just fine for a while until you go into your next shop and get another freebie. And if you lose it, who cares.

2- Get the more expensive piece, it will last longer but when it does dull you will still have to pay the 4 bucks in shipping.

Personally, I would say it depends on how often you smoke and where. If you prefer to go to a shop or if you smoke every now and then, stick with the cheapos. If you smoke in your home multiple times a day, I would stick with a higher quality piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is pretty awesome! I will have to take a peek at those! I hear a ton of great things about them.
I still have the plain old black one. After I bought it I they came out with all the cool, silver, carbon fiber, burlwood, etc....colors. I have been debating on going to buy a second one.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I just received a Palio cutter in black without the leather case...so it's either going back to the online vendor or they'll send me the case. I can't seem to find a Palio cutter in silver anywere. Does anyone know where they are being sold? Thanks.