What's new

Biggest loser-2016

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just want to say good job guys. It can be frustrating but keep up the hard work. Try to eat 5 times a day. Not eating enough is as bad as eating the wrong things or eating too much. Make sure to get some protein in between meals. Eggs and raw almonds do it for me. Lots of veggies and good proteins will do the trick over time. Replace bad carbs like white rice and potatoes with things like quinoa and sweet potatoes. Keep it up! Also food poisoning helped me drop a couple lbs this week but I wouldn't suggest that. It's not worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Not a participant but down to 212 from 220 in November. Ideal for me is around 180, so got a ways to go but it's a start. Took me 3.5 years to go from 180 to 220, so I'll be patient coming back down. Don't eat a bad diet in food choice, just quantity. Increased frequency of feedings and that reduced my quantity.

I was binge eating once a day for the past few years, primarily after work, and would go to bed on a full stomach. For the past few months I've been making sure I eat when I get up, before work, then bringing a sandwich and a cut fruit or veggie bag to eat at work. Don't really have time to eat all at once, just kinda eat it throughout my 12hr nightshift. Then sometimes a small bit when I get home if I feel like eating. Just gotta reset and change habits.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
I'm too late to become a participant but I figure I'll offer some motivation and share knowledge of any of you would like some.

A little background. I left the Marine Corps 13 years ago at 6'2" and 225 lbs.

Following two wrist surgeries and a back surgery I gained clear up to 352lbs less than 4 years later.

Since then I made regular efforts to lose my weight the only way I knew how, eating the way recommended by most nutritionists, cutting calories ie. virtual starvation and ultimately extreme workouts, 2 hours daily of high intensity martial arts and weight lifting.

The first time I did this I managed to get to 300lbs, but I ultimately stalled at 270 couldn't maintain the caloric deficit and the workout schedule.

I held 270-280 for a bit, but eventually gained back to 290-300. From there I tried a different approach. I hit the books. Taught myself nutrition, the different perspectives, methods and hypotheses. After a year of studying Gary Taubes, Prof. Noakes, Dr's. Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek among many others, I first changed the way I ate.

I experimented throughout 2014 through their methods and lost 30lbs, eventually not sticking with it and going back to 300. Jan 1, 2015 I weighed 299.8lbs and decided I'd follow their advice again, but better because I'd learned what my pitfalls were. By July 1st, I was 245lbs.

Unfortunately I traveled the whole second half of the year, couldn't eat the way I wanted to living with different people and went back to to 280.

December 1st, 2015 I decided come hell or high water I was not going to deviate anymore.

As I stand today I'm 243lbs. 109lbs down from my heaviest weight and 23lbs from my initial goal weight.

I said all that to say this. Don't listen to common nutritional advice. It's shit. It's unproven theories steeped in arrogance.
I haven't been able to workout since 2014 following a wrist surgery. Other than some long distance walking and a handful of occasional runs I haven't been able to exercise much. Exercise has nothing to do with fat loss. If you want to lose weight, eat CORRECTLY. If you want to tone and build muscle, exercise.

I'm not going to explain how to eat here other than to tell you to lookup those names I mentioned earlier. That'll get you started. But I can tell you this, when you feed your body what it needs, it corrects itself. In the past 13.5 months not only have I amassed a total loss of 57lbs but I've added appx. 15lbs of muscle mass and have gone from "pre-diabetic" with a high resting heart rate and elevating blood pressure to having some of the best blood work and numbers I could have for being 36 and still 30-40lbs overweight.

Good luck, gents. I hope this is your year also.

BTW, had this conversation with a friend in 2014 when I first started learning. He went with it. This is his result in 10 months.

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Checking in. Had a lot of temptation this weekend with family in town and Valentine's Day. Knowing I had to check in here today is always in the back of my mind. Good luck this week everyone.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Less than a pound. Feel like I hit the wall with loosing "easy" pounds. Need to do better this week.
View attachment 77490
Keep in mind scale weight isn't always the best measurement of progress. There's things that can throw off the numbers sort of distorting the actual picture. I don't know what your daily diet looks like but I'll give an example of myself from just 2 weeks ago....

I decided to make a small tweak in my diet for a week just to see what would happen. All I did was switch my carbs from 20% of my total cals to 25%. In all about an extra 30g per day. Now when your body stores away these carbs as fuel they also pull in about 4x their weight in water. By the end of the week I had gained 10lbs on the scale. The following week I switched my diet back to normal and lost those 10lbs in 3 days, mind you while still eating in a caloric surplus. There was zero difference in my body fat % though the scale painted a vastly different picture. So to my point, if you happened to have a pasta dinner or a decent amount of carbs from wherever yesterday, your weight on the scale this morning isn't an accurate picture of your progress. You could easily be doing better than the scale is crediting you for per se.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Keep in mind scale weight isn't always the best measurement of progress. There's things that can throw off the numbers sort of distorting the actual picture. I don't know what your daily diet looks like but I'll give an example of myself from just 2 weeks ago....

I decided to make a small tweak in my diet for a week just to see what would happen. All I did was switch my carbs from 20% of my total cals to 25%. In all about an extra 30g per day. Now when your body stores away these carbs as fuel they also pull in about 4x their weight in water. By the end of the week I had gained 10lbs on the scale. The following week I switched my diet back to normal and lost those 10lbs in 3 days, mind you while still eating in a caloric surplus. There was zero difference in my body fat % though the scale painted a vastly different picture. So to my point, if you happened to have a pasta dinner or a decent amount of carbs from wherever yesterday, your weight on the scale this morning isn't an accurate picture of your progress. You could easily be doing better than the scale is crediting you for per se.
I kinda fell off "the wagon" this weekend with a little "celebrating" of sorts and didn't stick to what had been working for me. More water, less alcohol and better eating this week (hopefully)

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I kinda fell off "the wagon" this weekend with a little "celebrating" of sorts and didn't stick to what had been working for me. More water, less alcohol and better eating this week (hopefully)
As long as you get back on the grind that's what's matters. Gotta enjoy life too! Keep up the great work fellas.