What's new

Blend testing

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I had a thread like this over at the forum @blisscigarco created. I will be posting my new blends and tasting notes and encourage everyone else to do the same to create a sort of blend library. We can have an idea of how a blend will taste, but it amazes me how differently certain leaves taste in different combinations.

Today I smoked a test blend at my wife's grandmothers house after Easter dinner. I didn't have my blend sheet with me so I had no preconceived notions on what to expect, all I knew was that it was wrapped in PA broadleaf from LO.

Flavors remained pretty constant the whole way through. Loads of dark chocolate, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and hints of vanilla with a red pepper loaded retro. I thought for sure my Piloto cubano viso was in the blend but I was way off.

This was 1 leaf Nica criollo seco from LO, 1 leaf corojo viso from WLT, 1 leaf criollo ligero from WLT, and bound with Dom binder from LO. Absolutely loved this stick and will be sure to have it in a regular rotation. Curious how it performs with different wrappers now.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had a thread like this over at the forum @blisscigarco created.

This was 1 leaf Nica criollo seco from LO, 1 leaf corojo viso from WLT, 1 leaf criollo ligero from WLT, and bound with Dom binder from LO. Absolutely loved this stick and will be sure to have it in a regular rotation. Curious how it performs with different wrappers now.

Pretty Stick ~ xox

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll be straight since I'm drinking fine whiskey and say they seem redundant and could be merged. Please forgive me. :sneaky:
hmmmm... I see the distinctness in both but I think the long running value of this thread is more likely... there is only so much you can say about structure/anatomy ... like the human body... once everything is identified and functionality made known... there isn't much more to be said... in tasting however ... well that is perpetual as blends are like piano notes... strike a note and get a different song with every arrangement. So while I see the usefulness of both... I think the construction thread will be more for referencing than conversing... however for sake of those good references not getting lost in the notes *like info on musical composition verses listening pleasure* that it should remain on it's own... there may be too many posts in here to find the resources on construction easily since they will likely be far fewer. Just my thoughts ~xox

Last edited:

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The criollo/corojo/broadleaf combo has been my go to since I first tried it. I try other stuff but I always find myself drawn back to the spicy and creamy mocha notes of that combo. No matter what primings or proportions you put those 3 together and your getting something tasty!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
The criollo/corojo/broadleaf combo has been my go to since I first tried it. I try other stuff but I always find myself drawn back to the spicy and creamy mocha notes of that combo. No matter what primings or proportions you put those 3 together and your getting something tasty!
This is so true! It's really hard to go wrong with that combo. Waiting on some CBL and Brazilian wrapper to arrive to see if those bring anything else special to the table with this blend. The Ecuadorian Habano wrapper on that combo tends to be sweet cream, baking spice, and cherries. Reminds me of a Cuban Romeo y Julieta, but on steroids.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Tonight we have blend #10: 1 Corojo seco, 1 Nica Habano seco, 1/2 leaf Dom ligero, Dom binder, wrapped in PA broadleaf. This stick was rolled 1/02/2016. Initial light was sweet tobacco, cream, with a hint of earth/leather, and cacao powder. There is red pepper and baking spice on the retro
Image1459482345.348070.jpg
Through the first third the flavors continue but there is a hint of sweet cherries presenting. Draw was a little snug initially but opens up.

I drop the ash right after the first third.
Image1459482440.938935.jpg
Going into the second third there is a hint of citrus zest playing with the sweet cherry flavors. This cigar actually pairs very well with the IPA I'm drinking and not many cigars can do that imo. The red pepper on the retro is a little more subdued going into the halfway mark but still very present. As the second third ends the cherries and citrus zest fade and the cacao powder grows a little stronger.

As I go into the final third there is an earthy/barnyard thing that sneaks in very subtly. There is some maltiness in the smoke now as well and I'm digging it. Body and strength have remained a solid medium.
Image1459483536.931204.jpg
Honestly not sure why I rolled this particular blend, I am pretty zealous about having seco, viso, and ligero in all my blends. There is a good chance I had ran out of viso when I rolled this. Whatever it was, I'm glad I did because I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Would make a very good morning/daytime smoke.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Rolled this one 1/18/16. 1 leaf Nica Habano seco, 1 leaf Piloto cubano viso, 1 leaf San Vicente ligero, Dom binder, and Ecuadorian Habano wrapper.
Image1460173360.723428.jpg
Initial flavors are smooth cream, cherries and citrus, and hints of vanilla and nutmeg.

Starting the second third there is a subtle peppery spice starting to show in the retro. There are also some hints of leather and oak. The ash is holding like a champ. I should be drinking some single barrel bourbon instead of my IPA. The ash fell right at the halfway point in one solid chunk.
Image1460174649.145858.jpg

In the final third the cream has faded and the citrus has increased and the spice has remained. The vanilla has crept back in some more and I have really enjoyed this one. I'm all out of the San Vicente ligero, but with 1/4 leaf of Jorge's ligero this would probably be pretty damn insane.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0

Alright @BrewinHooligan, cheroot with the 2013 mata fina, this was the ugly, loose one in the mold.

Damn this is smooth, 1 hour old stick

So why even wrap sticks?? This is so much better already than my previous smoke!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
That's the stuff right there!!! Amazing how good one type of leaf on its own can be

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Corona vitola smoked ROTT. Equal parts LO Dom volado and WLT Piloto viso. LO Dom binder for both the binder and wrapper.

Creamy, woody (cedar/oak) real light earthy spice. Some sweet spice. Full silky mouthfeel but strength is a light medium. I think the twang from a Connecticut wrap would be nice on this blend. Possibly even LOs Ecuadorian habano ligero.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Corona vitola smoked ROTT. Equal parts LO Dom volado and WLT Piloto viso. LO Dom binder for both the binder and wrapper.

Creamy, woody (cedar/oak) real light earthy spice. Some sweet spice. Full silky mouthfeel but strength is a light medium. I think the twang from a Connecticut wrap would be nice on this blend. Possibly even LOs Ecuadorian habano ligero.
Does sound like it would be good with some CT on it, and maybe half a leaf of a quality ligero?