What's new

Blend testing

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Does sound like it would be good with some CT on it, and maybe half a leaf of a quality ligero?
Thats where I think the habano ligero wrapper could make things interesting. This probably works as is for a morning smoke but I think some ligero would do this blend right.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

Been awhile since i smoked a homeroll, this is my corojo kink blend, one week in the dry box, and the ugly duckling of the bunch.

1 corojo seco
1 Brazilian mata fina
.5 criollo ligero

Very smooth, very creamy, light pepper

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
What's that bad boy wrapped with? I think I have rolled almost that exact blend recently. Maybe not... I've been on the Percocet and have been rolling my ass off so can't really remember all the blends I have off the top of my head.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
What's that bad boy wrapped with? I think I have rolled almost that exact blend recently. Maybe not... I've been on the Percocet and have been rolling my ass off so can't really remember all the blends I have off the top of my head.
To be honest, i don't know what i wrapped it in.... didn't band this one it was so ugly. I'll guess PA Oscuro since there is a dry chocolate note coming through

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Jonathan, if you start smoking percocets you may have an issue. But on the bright side if you start rolling Percocet infused cigars people will be lined up around the block to buy them.
Hope you are feeling better brother.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Jonathan, if you start smoking percocets you may have an issue. But on the bright side if you start rolling Percocet infused cigars people will be lined up around the block to buy them.
Hope you are feeling better brother.
Lol! That gave me a good laugh. I'm actually doing much better which is good considering I'm almost out of the Percocet. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post procedure and I'm clear to smoke then so I've been drooling over my collection trying to decide what will be my first victim as a victory smoke. Seriously eyeballing that Ramon Allones you smacked me with. If you have a beverage pairing suggestion I'm all ears.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Lol! That gave me a good laugh. I'm actually doing much better which is good considering I'm almost out of the Percocet. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post procedure and I'm clear to smoke then so I've been drooling over my collection trying to decide what will be my first victim as a victory smoke. Seriously eyeballing that Ramon Allones you smacked me with. If you have a beverage pairing suggestion I'm all ears.
This may sound a bit strange, but I like em with Dr Pepper

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Deep in the blending trenches tonight! Went through my leaf and picked out the thickest primings I had and rolled the same blend in about a 6 X 52 cheroot. So more like half ligero and half seco this time. Much better and the profile is beefed up a bit more too. More cream and sweet spice, less woodsy earthiness. This is begging for some wrapper experiments.
Now the question is has LO's Dominican always been Piloto? Back when I got the volado their site didn't specify like it does these days. I do know that I've rolled Piloto puros using WLT leaf and they tasted different compared to this blend, which is also possibly still a Piloto puro.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
To be honest, i don't know what i wrapped it in.... didn't band this one it was so ugly. I'll guess PA Oscuro since there is a dry chocolate note coming through

Looks like broadleaf and the description sounds like it too. Corojo/criollo/broadleaf is always some mix of creamy, cocoa, and pepper to me depending on the primings. My favorite leaf combo!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep in the blending trenches tonight! Went through my leaf and picked out the thickest primings I had and rolled the same blend in about a 6 X 52 cheroot. So more like half ligero and half seco this time. Much better and the profile is beefed up a bit more too. More cream and sweet spice, less woodsy earthiness. This is begging for some wrapper experiments.
Now the question is has LO's Dominican always been Piloto? Back when I got the volado their site didn't specify like it does these days. I do know that I've rolled Piloto puros using WLT leaf and they tasted different compared to this blend, which is also possibly still a Piloto puro.

Nice work! Many fear the ligero leaf but there's lot's of rich flavor to be had.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have this vague recollection on clicking on the thing that gives you extra info about the leaf about a year ago, and it said Piloto.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have this vague recollection on clicking on the thing that gives you extra info about the leaf about a year ago, and it said Piloto.
Well if this is the case it's interesting that blending the same leaf type from the 2 sources made for a better profile than the same leaf from just one source. That or maybe LOs lower primings of Piloto hit my palate better?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if this is the case it's interesting that blending the same leaf type from the 2 sources made for a better profile than the same leaf from just one source. That or maybe LOs lower primings of Piloto hit my palate better?
In fairness to both LO and WLT, it's impossible to be perfectly consistent with a natural product like tobacco leaves. Year to year it would vary depending on the weather and such. So each bale would have variations. So working with it just like you're doing is the right approach.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Blend # 29 rolled 3/10/2016
1 Ecuador Habano seco (LO), 1 Piloto cubano viso (WLT), 1 criollo ligero (WLT), Dom binder (LO) Ecuadorian Habano wrapper (LO)

1st third:
Cream, sweet tobacco, cherries that build through the third, baking spice, and a red pepper retro.
2nd third:
The cherries start to fade off, hints of vanilla come in and out, the pepper in the retro begins to build.
Final 3rd:
The spice continues to build, the cherries have disappeared, the baking spice is still present, some earth/bittersweet cocoa/and espresso become present, the red pepper continues to build along with the strength and body of the cigar.

I enjoyed this blend but am now out of the Piloto viso. Not sure I enjoyed it enough to order more of the viso to roll more as there are plenty of other blends I have that I enjoy just as much if not more.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Blend # 29 rolled 3/10/2016
1 Ecuador Habano seco (LO), 1 Piloto cubano viso (WLT), 1 criollo ligero (WLT), Dom binder (LO) Ecuadorian Habano wrapper (LO)

1st third:
Cream, sweet tobacco, cherries that build through the third, baking spice, and a red pepper retro.
2nd third:
The cherries start to fade off, hints of vanilla come in and out, the pepper in the retro begins to build.
Final 3rd:
The spice continues to build, the cherries have disappeared, the baking spice is still present, some earth/bittersweet cocoa/and espresso become present, the red pepper continues to build along with the strength and body of the cigar.

I enjoyed this blend but am now out of the Piloto viso. Not sure I enjoyed it enough to order more of the viso to roll more as there are plenty of other blends I have that I enjoy just as much if not more.
Swap the piloto out for the mata fina. You'll thank me later

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So this month ... I've been fooling around with the Columbian leaves... not a common leaf used in the American palate ... oddly an acquired taste... I was sure it was going to be wonderful from the start... but turns out to be so unfamiliar that it's an adjustment... like salt... gotta go easy on the inclusion... can easily over power every leaf in the blend. A bit of a metallic taste to the seco. Anyone else have experience with using the Columbian leaves?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So this month ... I've been fooling around with the Columbian leaves... not a common leaf used in the American palate ... oddly an acquired taste... I was sure it was going to be wonderful from the start... but turns out to be so unfamiliar that it's an adjustment... like salt... gotta go easy on the inclusion... can easily over power every leaf in the blend. A bit of a metallic taste to the seco. Anyone else have experience with using the Columbian leaves?
I used'em in my "Isabella" blend a year ago. Hyperbolically I called it "tragically delicious." WTF was I drinking when I wrote that? What does that even mean?

http://blisscigar.tumblr.com/post/121639760001/rolled-this-cigar-twenty-four-days-ago-today-its

I didn't stick with that leaf, tho. GDaddy used it and I believe stuck with it for its earthiness. I don't think either of us noticed a metallic taste.