What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So my 1 ligero, 2 seco that was pretty good (5 out of 6 pts) maybe even better with .5 viso added (totalling 6pts).
Then there's the binder and wrapper...
Thanks for sharing Bliss, keep on please!
Yeah, it might be! But I prefer to try to find combos with all three filler leaves, because I'm kinda trying to find the balance that the whole tobacco plant is offering, and the ligero is bringing something different to the mix than the seco and the viso....

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If your binder is Dom seco, do you add that into the equation, or only the fillers?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The "balance" is sort of a mystical subjective intuitive thing that involves burniness, strength, flavor, aroma. People talk about balance in cigars, food, liquor, etc. It's a combo of things in each case. In cigars there are obvious issues: we want max flavor but not max nic, etc. I ran several blends through my mind that fit that formula after it came to me and they were good and were typical Cuban recipes, e.g. 111, 1.5/0/1.5; I then ran things that didn't fit the formula and they were not as good: too strong (for me, or in general), not enough burn, too weak, not enough flavor, not enough aroma, whatever. So then I tried it with things that were close; like the value was 5.5 or 6.5 and looked at what tweak I could make that would bring it back to 6 while maintaining leaf count; and this made what for me subjectively (which is why we roll, so we can do what subjectively pleases ourselves) was a better stick.
I came up with this for fun. But I also found that it kinda works, too. Right now I'm working on a JavaScript script that will solve it for various parameters. Because I enjoy doing that kind of thing. Which is why we roll.

Holy Moly... They say that great minds think alike. (Unfortunately, this implies that mediocre minds do likewise.) I've been fooling with a javascript same as you. My thing is, I want to solve the ratio for cigars requiring different numbers of leaves. So you might put in 3 leaves or 4 leaves or 2 1/2 leaves, and bingo.

Reading your remark right here, I put a copy of my first attempt at http://torcedors.com/BlissBlendsCalc.html
Take a gander at the source code and see if we are headed in similar directions.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does this make any sense?
filler at 16 parts to a whole.
Blend 1, Sumatra Binder / Piloto 7 / Criollo 6 / Mata 3
Robusto @ 12 grams 50 ring by 140 mm / 5.51 inch. 16 parts to a whole - 1 part = 750 milligrams > 5250 / 4500 / 2250 in milligrams
Corona @ 8.28 gram 42 ring by 134 mm / 5.27 inch. 16 parts to a whole - 1 part = 517 milligrams > 3622 / 3105 / 1552 in milligrams

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Holy Moly... They say that great minds think alike. (Unfortunately, this implies that mediocre minds do likewise.) I've been fooling with a javascript same as you. My thing is, I want to solve the ratio for cigars requiring different numbers of leaves. So you might put in 3 leaves or 4 leaves or 2 1/2 leaves, and bingo.

Reading your remark right here, I put a copy of my first attempt at http://torcedors.com/BlissBlendsCalc.html
Take a gander at the source code and see if we are headed in similar directions.
That's really cool, Web. Yours is probably more useful for more people than what I'm going for, which is something that allows me to create a wide variety of flavor/strength profiles that all = 6, which always seems to result in a blend I really enjoy.
I've done a first draft and now I'm making a video to help me understand WTH I've done. The next rev will have a couple improvements. Thanks again, very nice job.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does this make any sense?
filler at 16 parts to a whole.
Blend 1, Sumatra Binder / Piloto 7 / Criollo 6 / Mata 3
Robusto @ 12 grams 50 ring by 140 mm / 5.51 inch. 16 parts to a whole - 1 part = 750 milligrams > 5250 / 4500 / 2250 in milligrams
Corona @ 8.28 gram 42 ring by 134 mm / 5.27 inch. 16 parts to a whole - 1 part = 517 milligrams > 3622 / 3105 / 1552 in milligrams
Hi, Marc L. Yeah, depending on what you mean by makes sense. I reckon anything makes sense when it comes to burning leaves. OTOH if you plugged that into my Bliss Balanced Blend formula you'd get something a little bit weak. You'd be left feeling it needed some punch. Assuming the Piloto is a seco with burn/flavor characteristics of Jorge seco, and the Criollo is viso, the Mata ligero... then very roughly you're looking at:
1.18 seco leaves
1.22 viso leaves (like I said, I just roughly got the sliders into place to approximate your ratios)
.6 ligero leaves
Which produces a blend value of 5.42, somewhat short of the 6.0 my blend formula requires for a good rich flavorful stick. It'd smoke okay but leave you wanting more richness.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's really cool, Web. Yours is probably more useful for more people than what I'm going for, which is something that allows me to create a wide variety of flavor/strength profiles that all = 6, which always seems to result in a blend I really enjoy.
I've done a first draft and now I'm making a video to help me understand WTH I've done. The next rev will have a couple improvements. Thanks again, very nice job.
The idea with mine is to create a range of blends in order of strength which each add up to an input number of leaves, with each blends scoring a magic six. So if I am rolling a vitola which requires X number of leaves, I enter X, and I get back an array of portions of leaf I need to put in. Each ought to score six, once you total the number of each type leaf times your 1,2,3 score; but you're not looking at scores -- you're looking at leaf counts. I dunno. There's gotta be a better way to express that.

For example, your mild blend shows 2 seco at one point each and 2 viso at 2 points each, no ligero. But that's four leaves. I need at most 2 1/5 leaves for my perfecto mold; fewer if they are large leaves. What portion of each type do I use to produce a cigar with the same balance as your mild, using only 2 1/2 leaves?

Enter 2.5, there's your portions.

Still tweaking the measures. It's fairly easy to edit proportions. Once done, they should always = a balance of six.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The idea with mine is to create a range of blends in order of strength which each add up to an input number of leaves, with each blends scoring a magic six. So if I am rolling a vitola which requires X number of leaves, I enter X, and I get back an array of portions of leaf I need to put in. Each ought to score six, once you total the number of each type leaf times your 1,2,3 score; but you're not looking at scores -- you're looking at leaf counts. I dunno. There's gotta be a better way to express that.

For example, your mild blend shows 2 seco at one point each and 2 viso at 2 points each, no ligero. But that's four leaves. I need at most 2 1/5 leaves for my perfecto mold; fewer if they are large leaves. What portion of each type do I use to produce a cigar with the same balance as your mild, using only 2 1/2 leaves?

Enter 2.5, there's your portions.

Still tweaking the measures. It's fairly easy to edit proportions. Once done, they should always = a balance of six.
Well, your value counts don't all come up to 6; only the "balanced" one does. So it's working off a different concept. E.G. your "strong" blend = something like 7.75. That would be way too strong for me; it would be "an unbalanced strong blend."

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How would you suggest solving the ratios?
I'm uploading a video now where I demo the machine to myself (otherwise I'm apt to wake up tomorrow and wonder how the f the thing was supposed to work) and the first thing I do there is make a "strongish balanced blend." I demo a few other blend constructions with it as well.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last edited:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I'm not thinking about vitolas, just leaf counts. I first start fleshing out the idea in a blog post a few days ago:

http://blisscigar.tumblr.com/post/144913598071/123-6-blending-formula

Here's an unlisted video I made for myself where I try out the first rev:

Nice, i was just trying to tackle this math problem and was getting stuck since it's a 3 variable issue. But setting a ratio of ligero to viso makes perfect sense and simplifies it!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice, i was just trying to tackle this math problem and was getting stuck since it's a 3 variable issue. But setting a ratio of ligero to viso makes perfect sense and simplifies it!

Exactly. Once I realized that 1 seco would be a pretty common pivot, that left the viso/ligero ratio, which actually solved what I was trying to get at in the blend.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Exactly. Once I realized that 1 seco would be a pretty common pivot, that left the viso/ligero ratio, which actually solved what I was trying to get at in the blend.
Very cool. So for my Corona that uses 2.5 leaves total... if i set my ligero at 0.5 leaves....

0.5 ligero = 1.5 points
1 viso = 2 points
1 seco = 1 point
Which is 4.5 which is missing 0.5 to balance on a 5 point scale. So i can adjust up the viso or ligero and reduce the seco to balance it

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very cool. So for my Corona that uses 2.5 leaves total... if i set my ligero at 0.5 leaves....

0.5 ligero = 1.5 points
1 viso = 2 points
1 seco = 1 point
Which is 4.5 which is missing 0.5 to balance on a 5 point scale. So i can adjust up the viso or ligero and reduce the seco to balance it
Yeah. You just have to keep balancing in two places. That's the thing I got from the article with the old Cuban roller gal from El Laguito. It's not just throw more at it, or take out some, it's "If you adjust this, then you have to adjust that, too. You have to maintain the balance."