What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I always hit the drive through on the way home to get a large ice tea for the ride. As always, I fired up a stogie at work for the ride. Today, the lady at the drive through spun around and leaned out to say "That's a gooood smelling cigar you got today!" Of course it's a homeroll from May, one that I had decided the binder looked nice enough, no wrapper. Funny thing was I was enjoying the flavor more too. It should be no suprise the blend was none other than the one Bliss identified as the golden ratio!
0.5 ligero, 2 viso, 1 seco (all Nicaraguan )
Bound in Dominican binder
All from LO.
I think I'm going to order Ecuador ligero wrapper and a CTBL to try on this next...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Fired up a September stick that was 1.5 seco, 1.5 ligero and was very pleased...surprisingly so since there was no viso. The leaves were still from my stash of Nicaraguan LO. I can't remember who posted that recipe but thank you whomever it was, I've added another favorite to keep rolling!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kinda funny: I just smoked this corona extra from May 2016, and I was like OH HOLY SHIT WHAT'S THIS BLEND because it was one of those rare better-than-your-favorite-Cuban sticks. So I go to my super-anal Excel spreadsheet to find out what it is, and it says, and I quote, "Various blends from 111 to 2 .5 1."
Great. F me.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Kinda funny: I just smoked this corona extra from May 2016, and I was like OH HOLY SHIT WHAT'S THIS BLEND because it was one of those rare better-than-your-favorite-Cuban sticks. So I go to my super-anal Excel spreadsheet to find out what it is, and it says, and I quote, "Various blends from 111 to 2 .5 1."
Great. F me.
Good work. Aren't you glad you keep scrupulous records.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wouldn't matter anyway now, because even I had any Jorge leaf, you never know what you're getting batch to batch with that guy; so you can't just duplicate something you rolled a year earlier unless you've got leaf in storage from that batch. I reckon it's that way with any leaf, though, more or less. I'd guess it was closer to the 2/5/1, tho....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just found some earlier tasting notes on these sticks:
"5/9/16 One day aging. Insane Cuban Hoyo-esque flavor. Phenomenal."
"6/19 One of the best things I've made. Apple pie with cinnamon and a vanilla malted. Incredible."
6/30 "Excellent Cuban-esque smoke."
I also found further blending notes: "111, US CT Shade. Guessing the filler at 35/25/40, based on leaf size."

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I just found some earlier tasting notes on these sticks:
"5/9/16 One day aging. Insane Cuban Hoyo-esque flavor. Phenomenal."
"6/19 One of the best things I've made. Apple pie with cinnamon and a vanilla malted. Incredible."
6/30 "Excellent Cuban-esque smoke."
I also found further blending notes: "111, US CT Shade. Guessing the filler at 35/25/40, based on leaf size."
Droooool

Sent from Webmost's phone

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bobalu just now sent me a spam touting a new oscuro which has a blend we could take a stab at ourselves. Here's how they describe it:

The filler is a combination of superior aged Dominican piloto, Dominican Olor, Nicaraguan Lijero and Criollo 98 which is beautifully wrapped in a black USA Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. Novice smokers beware.​

Hell, I got most all of that. Just have to swap in some suitable wrapper. I've got PA broadleaf not black. I've got a smidge of CT not black. I've got several primings of EC Hab shade, all pretty black. Got some fairly black Nic wrapper. What do you guys suggest? I'm thinking that same filler combo with a bit of CT shade to tame it down.

On another note, I'm tellin you I love the olor. Makes for some wonderful aromas. You guys need to try that.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just had a mini that was rolled back in January that was good to the nub. Fillers were a half leaf each of criollo ligero, mata fina, and habano seco, bound in Dominican binder and Ecuador shade seco wrapped. Definitely making many more of these. Flavors were sweet tobacco with a medium finish.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So im doing some homework and looking into tatuaje. And the blend only reads ecuadorian wrap and nicuraguan filler and binder. Any guesses as to the leafs he uses?

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
So im doing some homework and looking into tatuaje. And the blend only reads ecuadorian wrap and nicuraguan filler and binder. Any guesses as to the leafs he uses?

I'm positive we don't have access to it

Sent from the past on VeLoRoK's flip phone

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anything close????

Close to what? Wouldn't that screw your question?

You never get an adequate blend description of a commercial stick. You want to know quatity, country, seed, priming, like so: "1 1/2 leaves of Honduran habano seco". You are lucky if you get "Habano". You will never get all 4. Period.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Close to what? Wouldn't that screw your question?

You never get an adequate blend description of a commercial stick. You want to know quatity, country, seed, priming, like so: "1 1/2 leaves of Honduran habano seco". You are lucky if you get "Habano". You will never get all 4. Period.

Let alone a few other things, IMHO: Which bunch of seeds? Which farm? Which crop? Who handled the sprouting and in what fashion? What were the priming intervals? What shack was it cured in, and for how long? Who fermented it, where and how? How long and where was it aged? Who selected from the aged leaf and blended? Now multiply most of those things by each priming...

Imagine that every Cuban is made from the same varietals but that each brand clearly tastes different....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There you go. Take the specific Tat you're looking at and submit that to Bob aka deluxestogie over at FTT forum. If anyone can match it, he's the tobacco-ologist to do it.
Will do. Really I was trying to get a manageable spice and flavor like the Havana VI, But you guys are correct there are way too many variables.