What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So as I'm still very green here (less than 100 rolled cigars still), I'm gonna throw this out here to see what you guys think. While it doesn't match the numbers above, I was trying to properly stuff a 48 rg stogie starting with the ratio of .5 ligero, 2 viso, 1 seco. As I adjusted for firmness/fullness, I tried to keep my viso 4 times my ligero and my seco 2 times the ligero. That doesn't keep the mass balance, just the leaf ratios the same as I add or subtract for size. It seems there are two different objectives we are trying to reach. One is keeping the flavors approximately the same for different sizes, one is keeping the size the same while adjusting flavors...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It seems odd to me that none of these ratios match any of the graphic on page one of this post, the one showing different ratios for typical cc in red, orange, and yellow...
Not comparing that graphic to Web's chart but to my machine, this chart (of unknown source/epoch/accuracy?) shows three columns of two similar sticks (similar or same vitola), one stronger than the other (bigger red blob).

Most of them are about .5 BlissBlendFactor points lower than what my app produces, except the very mild R&J and QdO. This chart was probably pretty accurate at one time because Cubans historically have been blended slightly milder than they are now, when they are based more on a 111 blend, as is the default setting of my app. Anyway, here's that graphic vs. my app:

Bolivar Gigante. 5-leaf BlissBlend target weight: 10. Actual: 9
R&J Churchill: Target: 10. Actual: 7.5

Cohiba Lancero. 4-leaf target: 8. Actual: 7.5
Monte Especial. Target 8.5. Actual: 8.25

Cohiba Siglo III. 3.5 leaf target: 7. Actual: 6.5
QdO. Target: 7.25. Actual: 6.75
If I wanted to replicate something on this graphic I would just aim for that figure, or generally .5 less as I dial in a blend with my app.
I can also change the weight multiplier from 2.0 to 1.8: if I do that, that gives me a final target weigh of 9 for 5 leaves. If I put in 2 seco, it'll read 2/2/1, as per the Bolivar Corona Gigante. I could leave it at 1.8 to dial in other leaf-counts and blends that balanced with that Bolivar.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I like your slider. Looks like it could be an android app.

I think I have conquered it, in simple on-line form, here:

http://torcedoritos.com/BlissBlendCalc.html

Now to roll some stix.
I wouldn't call this a BlissBlendCalc since it comes up with all kinds of average values per leaf, rather than the 2 of the Bliss Blend Formula. I'd call it a WebBlendCalc.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Easy there, big guy. Don't mean to give you the prickly heat. I changed the name to Proportional Cigar Blend Calculator, cause I'm doing proportions of leaf ... but the original idea of having a calc at all began with you, is the deal.

Tho I'm at a loss how similar proportions would produce all kinds of values per leaf.

http://torcedoritos.com/CigarBlendCalc.html

I must say, tho, I sat down and rolled 8 quick parejos just now, and with the different sizes of each leaf, careful measures went out the window in no time flat. I'm nowhere near anal enough to measure things out on a scale by grams or anything.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Not comparing that graphic to Web's chart but to my machine, this chart (of unknown source/epoch/accuracy?) shows three columns of two similar sticks (similar or same vitola), one stronger than the other (bigger red blob).

Most of them are about .5 BlissBlendFactor points lower than what my app produces, except the very mild R&J and QdO. This chart was probably pretty accurate at one time because Cubans historically have been blended slightly milder than they are now, when they are based more on a 111 blend, as is the default setting of my app. Anyway, here's that graphic vs. my app:

Bolivar Gigante. 5-leaf BlissBlend target weight: 10. Actual: 9
R&J Churchill: Target: 10. Actual: 7.5

Cohiba Lancero. 4-leaf target: 8. Actual: 7.5
Monte Especial. Target 8.5. Actual: 8.25

Cohiba Siglo III. 3.5 leaf target: 7. Actual: 6.5
QdO. Target: 7.25. Actual: 6.75
If I wanted to replicate something on this graphic I would just aim for that figure, or generally .5 less as I dial in a blend with my app.
I can also change the weight multiplier from 2.0 to 1.8: if I do that, that gives me a final target weigh of 9 for 5 leaves. If I put in 2 seco, it'll read 2/2/1, as per the Bolivar Corona Gigante. I could leave it at 1.8 to dial in other leaf-counts and blends that balanced with that Bolivar.

I didn't even think about changing the weight multiplier. I see now, before I just put the total leaf count in and looked for something that matched...it's all very interesting. Thanks for showing me how to line this up, Jim

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread. I haven't even rolled one stick but I sure gained some knowledge reading this. I think I understand which amazes me..lol. Can't wait to sit down and join in on the fun n roll a few. Thanks for sharing all this info.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
20 Leaf Types From 10 ten of the top cigar tobacco producing nations in the world create ONE STICK... A mouth full? This is what the above stick looks like pre-rolled. The Scorpion, United Nations Blend... it's Never been done before and will never be done like this again. No machine or cigar mold used in the process... there is indeed a method to my madness... but I am not called the ReMixologist for fun ;)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
20 Leaf Types From 10 ten of the top cigar tobacco producing nations in the world create ONE STICK... A mouth full? This is what the above stick looks like pre-rolled. The Scorpion, United Nations Blend... it's Never been done before and will never be done like this again. No machine or cigar mold used in the process... there is indeed a method to my madness... but I am not called the ReMixologist for fun ;)
That is just fascinating.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is just fascinating.
I to was struck when I smoked the first one :p I have only rolled 75 of 100 so far with a 15 count Dud/reject/2nd collection. As you can see from the layers ... there are three distinct phases in the stick (that is how all 20 leaf types fit) ... staggering them allows for each phase to reveal an entirely new blend... the stick starts at a 60+ rg and smokes down to a 52-54rg... starting out as probably one of the strongest blends created and transitions to a medium-full down to a smooth mild-medium blend... approximately 2.5 inches per blend with transition overlap from one to the other. An awesome rolling experience. Thank you for your kind remarks ~xox

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see why you chose to go strong first n tapper down from there. I've looked at that pic numerous times tonight and just cant get enough..lol. All that filler and there's gotta be a load of binder n wrapper on there. How many is there? And how much ya think that weighs? I'm not rolling yet but when I get started in shooting for a quality result like this. Sure it'll take time n practice but it's certainly a good goal.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I to was struck when I smoked the first one :p I have only rolled 75 of 100 so far with a 15 count Dud/reject/2nd collection. As you can see from the layers ... there are three distinct phases in the stick (that is how all 20 leaf types fit) ... staggering them allows for each phase to reveal an entirely new blend... the stick starts at a 60+ rg and smokes down to a 52-54rg... starting out as probably one of the strongest blends created and transitions to a medium-full down to a smooth mild-medium blend... approximately 2.5 inches per blend with transition overlap from one to the other. An awesome rolling experience. Thank you for your kind remarks ~xox
I bet that blend is very complex and would keep things interesting. When you mentioned, "staggering them allows for each phase to reveal an entirely new blend." I began thinking of a journey through a Willy Wonka type factory but with Cigar blends where I could go to different booths and trying cigars but when I got to the last booth, it was this cigar. A blend of all the blends....As I gazed upon such a sight, the philosophy of how it was rolled and the architecture was as if a miracle had happened. Then, the entire factory visitors began gathering around...Then I woke up. Damn...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bet that blend is very complex and would keep things interesting. When you mentioned, "staggering them allows for each phase to reveal an entirely new blend." I began thinking of a journey through a Willy Wonka type factory but with Cigar blends where I could go to different booths and trying cigars but when I got to the last booth, it was this cigar. A blend of all the blends....As I gazed upon such a sight, the philosophy of how it was rolled and the architecture was as if a miracle had happened. Then, the entire factory visitors began gathering around...Then I woke up. Damn...

GDayum! Your dream is a nightmare because you NEVER got to smoke it! I was SO with you on the journey then.... ugh... I hate cliff hangers! lol :p It's so true though... it is very complex and when I was initially blending, the haunting voices of expert rollers was blaring in the back of my mind "keep it simple... the best cigars are simple... minimal profiles... etc." FOCKZ That... I created the blend in my head first... which is how I do most things... then the first stick was for me a fail... my taste testers were like bad kids... tobacco was tobacco for them they sucked them down... but after calling them into focus we all got on the same page. Stick two was ok but the transition was off... stick three was on point and stick four was a wrap! The Foot of the cigar contains every leaf in the blend... so the whole leaf is in the bottom layer... phase 2 has all leaves minus phase 1 and stopping short of phase 3... and phase 3 only has phase 3 leaves. 6 Ligero blend in phase 1... as you are smoking it... the cigar is smooth and rich and whispering clouds say "SIT YO ASH DOWN BEFORE I KNOCK YOU DOWN!" Very nutty ... like a seasoned roasted nut. Phase two is more chocolaty ... the tipple Ligero there lends a lighter lean but still packs so much flavor you don't want to put it down... Phase three ends on a sweet note :) The Stick is a mind phuck :p The crazy thing is... you don't remember you are smoking 20 leaf types at once... it came together as ONE. That was my proudest achievement. You may want to cop one of the 100... the memorabilia is pricey but the duds/reject are half price. It's an experience for sure.