What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody notice WLT has updated some of their products with regions? This is much appreciated. But the Nic leaves now say Condega in the title. Previously, the ligero said Esteli in the description (and still do).

Doesn't bother me a bit,I but I am just curious if anybody has ordered it since the change in title. I am wondering if it is still the same, peppery, spicy, very dark Nic Habano ligero. Thanks!

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a leaf is darker in colour does it make it stronger? I have a new bag of leaves (seco) and within the bag some leaves are quite a bit darker, some of them thicker also. Am wondering if I should compensate the amount of ligero in a bunch when I have darker seco leaves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When a leaf is darker in colour does it make it stronger? I have a new bag of leaves (seco) and within the bag some leaves are quite a bit darker, some of them thicker also. Am wondering if I should compensate the amount of ligero in a bunch when I have darker seco leaves.
Absolutely. I like to sort through a pound and stack it from top to bottom. Thickness more them color will make the difference.
Sorting goes a long way. Think of the priming relation in each stick. Primings can very within them selves and how they'll hold to others.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I feel like I should be usingg two binders. I've done it and it does seem to make a smoother roll,. For the rest of y'all is it a common practice or case by case?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I like to sort through a pound and stack it from top to bottom. Thickness more them color will make the difference.
Sorting goes a long way. Think of the priming relation in each stick. Primings can very within them selves and how they'll hold to others.
I’m learning so much in this forum, thanks for your advice Marc. I’m a baker by trade for 30 years, I can roll a decent baguette but boy rolling cigars is a different game lol.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I feel like I should be usingg two binders. I've done it and it does seem to make a smoother roll,. For the rest of y'all is it a common practice or case by case?

I've experimented with different ideas. Sometimes I've applied the seco similar to a binder, then the actual binder and wrapper.
Usually not though. Most of the time its entubado filler, a binder, then wrapper.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

I like 2 very thin binders

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I don't, I'll use at least one leaf or half as a base around the bunch. .. most / sometimes a leaf piece / strip or two, three of maybe different types inside the main whole binder leaf.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was listening to a podcast and someone mentioned that on commercial “cigar brands” different ring gauge cigars will have a similar blend fillers within the same family but with smaller ring gauge they will not include any ligero leaves to keep the same taste, why is that? Is it because you have a greater ratio of wrapper burning in a smaller gauge smoke?

In general what do you home roller do with smaller ring gauge when you blend? Do you include some ligero or avoid it?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Was listening to a podcast and someone mentioned that on commercial “cigar brands” different ring gauge cigars will have a similar blend fillers within the same family but with smaller ring gauge they will not include any ligero leaves to keep the same taste, why is that? Is it because you have a greater ratio of wrapper burning in a smaller gauge smoke?

In general what do you home roller do with smaller ring gauge when you blend? Do you include some ligero or avoid it?
We don't have the responsibility the commercial blenders for the big corps have of trying to make the exact same flavor across every vitola, for decades. In fact we want to have as many new experiences as we can. And because most of us are trying to find ways to make stronger, more flavorable smokes with the extremely mild tobacco we get, I doubt there are any of us who would leave out ligero for the reasons you mentioned. We might do it because there's no room for all that thick, crusty leaf in that 38-gauge, or because we want our skinnier cigars to be our "mellow morning smoke," or whatever.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

But as to the first part of your question, I don't really understand how that work. Wrapper is not necessarily the strongest part of a blend, unless it's dark, poorly fermented Habano. Many fine wrappers are very mild. So I'd like to hear that someone on that podcast explain how this works.

Reactions: nic
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks, Marc. I didn't hear anything in that video about why such a thing would work, did you?

Again as with all things here that people ask about, the beauty is that this a 100% empiracle hobby. Everything can be tried out at home to see if it's true or if it works.
Thank you Marcl, but unless I missed it I didn't hear where he explained how it would work. Meaning why a smaller vitola would attain the same flavor without ligero.

Fortunately everything in cigar rolling can be tried to see if it's true!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... we're trying to make
Thanks, Marc. I didn't hear anything in that video about why such a thing would work, did you?

Again as with all things here that people ask about, the beauty is that this a 100% empiracle hobby. Everything can be tried out at home to see if it's true or if it works.

Thank you Marcl, but unless I missed it I didn't hear where he explained how it would work. Meaning why a smaller vitola would attain the same flavor without ligero.

Fortunately everything in cigar rolling can be tried to see if it's true!
He say's the two 40 rg vitola are to small to include the ligero for the Atabey taste profile.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general I have always found that a lancero versus a toro for example never have the same taste and that with the same tobacco blend (at this point with my rolling experience no two cigars have ever had the same taste anyway), that’s why I was wondering if Nelson doesn’t use any ligero in his small rg with the same blend would it be because of wrapper (or binder) ratio to filler and how they affect the smoking.

Btw thank you Marc for the videos, the wife had me tilling the garden all day yesterday and did not let me rest until sundown, (10 pm where I live).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm no master blender but it seems the larger the rg, the cooler the smoke. The smaller the rg, the hotter the smoke. Just as hitting a cigar too fast changes the flavors(presumably because it needs to cool between draws), changing the diameter of the cigar will change the temperature and thereby the flavor too.