What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of corojo, I just smoked a thing called a La Aroma de Cuba "Corojo." Corojo was on the second label, and I think it was a corojo wrapper. It was a good smoke.

Now, that thing tasted a LOT like a thing I roll which is sort of a 1 Corojo seco, 2 corojo viso, .5 corojo ligero (with variations to more ligero), bound in Nic Habano seco and wrapped in Corojo oscuro. The main diff was, the La Aroma de Cuba had plenty pepper, which my thing doesn't; and the wrapper intensity was dialed back, probably with age. What I felt was, if I add the right combo of Nic habano viso and/or ligero to it, I could get some of that missing pepper. Give it a little age, and I might have something. I'll roll some of these up during my next sesh.
Any chance you could take a pic of the band if you still have it? I’m curious as to what LADC cigar that is. I can’t think of any of their lines that have a band that says Corojo on it. Wondering if it’s a single store release maybe. Pepin makes those cigars and they usually have broadleaf, San Andres or Ecu Habano wrapper depending which line it is.
La Aurora’s time capsule line has a Corojo blend with a secondary blend stating it’s Corojo. Any chance you got them mixed up? Just asking because I’m a big La Aroma fan and if they have a new cigar out I’d like to grab a couple.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any chance you could take a pic of the band if you still have it? I’m curious as to what LADC cigar that is. I can’t think of any of their lines that have a band that says Corojo on it. Wondering if it’s a single store release maybe. Pepin makes those cigars and they usually have broadleaf, San Andres or Ecu Habano wrapper depending which line it is.
La Aurora’s time capsule line has a Corojo blend with a secondary blend stating it’s Corojo. Any chance you got them mixed up? Just asking because I’m a big La Aroma fan and if they have a new cigar out I’d like to grab a couple.
You're right, it was La Aurora. Sorry about that! I had it in the same bag as some La Aroma ones....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, it was La Aurora. Sorry about that! I had it in the same bag as some La Aroma ones....
No problem. I figured it was a La Auroa lol. Did a search of all my usual online vendors and couldn’t find a Corojo LADC.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
On another note, I smoked a blend I didn't remember making but really enjoyed it. It was one each of the following:
Piloto Cubano Seco
Criollo Seco
Bound in T13 Viso
Wrapped in Ecuadorian Seco

It was quite tasty and went well with my iced tea. Should've taken a pic but I was driving so I didn't, maybe next time!

P. Silver

It's just me and I'm imaginary.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brothers,

I'm going in! About to make a purchase and start rolling my own.

Suggestions on where to start?

I imagine I should find the varietal that agrees with me most be it corojo, criollo, habano 2k, etc. then focus on countries.

Maybe I'm overthinking a bit and should just dive in and see where the waters take me.

What say y'all?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do like your attitude. Most us us you may find started with kits and samples to get the feeling whether it was something worthy of efforts.
I'll take it that you have your resources straight?

P. Silver

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like your attitude. Most us us you may find started with kits and samples to get the feeling whether it was something worthy of efforts.
I'll take it that you have your resources straight?
Thanks. I'll almost certainly start with samples from Leafonly.

Rolling surface, check. Pizza cutter, check (enough scrap metal to make 100 chavetas if I want to be traditional). Hands, check.

Molds...not yet. Unless there is a reason I really should employ them.

I'm not worried about looks. Lumpy and rustic is fine with me. If and when I'd like to get fancy I might make my own molds (wood and a drill press should get me most of the way there).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I'll almost certainly start with samples from Leafonly.

Rolling surface, check. Pizza cutter, check (enough scrap metal to make 100 chavetas if I want to be traditional). Hands, check.

Molds...not yet. Unless there is a reason I really should employ them.

I'm not worried about looks. Lumpy and rustic is fine with me. If and when I'd like to get fancy I might make my own molds (wood and a drill press should get me most of the way there).
Nice!
I didn't hear you mention these affordables.

P. Silver

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
I didn't hear you mention these affordables.
Didn't mention kits and blends as I was leaning toward "going wide" regarding variety but I am a bit split still for sure. Advantage of pre-made blends I imagine is that they are tested and proven. Ain't broke don't fix it; play by the rules until you can break them. And it would let me focus and understand the subtlety of small tweeks to a blend. I seem to be convincing myself to go pre-blend as we go along here. Silver lining: no matter what I go with it won't go to waste.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Brothers,

I'm going in! About to make a purchase and start rolling my own.

Suggestions on where to start?

I imagine I should find the varietal that agrees with me most be it corojo, criollo, habano 2k, etc. then focus on countries.

Maybe I'm overthinking a bit and should just dive in and see where the waters take me.

What say y'all?
That's great! Welcome to the rolling cult. Going with the waters is the path I would recommend. On those LO samples, look for leaf that is traditional Caribbean/Central American "Cuban seed" type stuff like your Olors, Pilotos, Criollos, Corojos, rather than your CT, PA, Havana (a kind of CT), and other various American exotics. These "Cuban" and Caribbean varieties taste somewhat more like what you expect a cigar to taste like.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought alot of different stuff and mixed away, and I love it. Do I know what I'm doing? Nope, am I good at it? Nope. Most of my blends, are pretty damn tasty though and they look better each time. It takes a longgggg time to really get the feel for case, bunching, and wrapping, so dont stop rolling.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually going to quote Bliss here or my interpretation of it. Keep the leaf simple. Just a few and work on the construction. Getting the leaf cased right (damp/dry) takes time. Getting the bunch to be filled from head to foot is also a skill. I spent a lot of time thinking an out blends and trying different leaves before developing the skills for construction. Still have a lot to learn. The videos out there that Bliss and Webmost have make it look simple and fast. My first batch of 4 cigars took me around 5 hours to get my stuff out. Try to get to dry of leaves to bunch. Pulling the stems out of the binder and wrapper the wrong way. And the list goes on. It was fun and I enjoyed smoking them. I started with a lot but a few weeks later ordered about 10 different 1/4 lb samples. Should have just suck either the kit to hone the skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nic

P. Silver

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled down a Leaf Only haul of several 1/4 pounds. Got here earlier this week.

Tasting has begun. So far:

Honduran Viso - A light cedar. Nice but would like more cedar note.
Esteli Seco - Light and clean leather. Meh, s'all right.
San Andreas Viso - A very subtle bell pepper. Not impressed, pass.
Cameroon Binder - Toasty bread, like "they" said it would be. A bit prickly on the tongue; not huge of that quality so probably pass.
Ometepe Seco - Something between Esteli seco and Jalapa Seco. Qualities of both, neither here nor there. Pass.
Jalapa Seco - ISKIDEEOHDOH!!! I mean...wait...don't buy this stuff!!! Just terrible!!! Light in strength but medium or better in fullness, a broad flavor of marshmallow coffee cake, sweeter than I knew tobacco could be. Save yourself the trouble and allow me to shoulder the burden of smoking the ENTIRE STOCK of Leaf Only Jalapa Seco. It will be a hell-of-a task but I am up to the challenge. I begrudgingly heave myself upon this sword for you, brothers.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Cameroon Binder - Toasty bread, like "they" said it would be. A bit prickly on the tongue; not huge of that quality so probably pass.
Ometepe Seco - Something between Esteli seco and Jalapa Seco. Qualities of both, neither here nor there. Pass.
Jalapa Seco - ISKIDEEOHDOH!!! I mean...wait...don't buy this stuff!!! Just terrible!!! Light in strength but medium or better in fullness, a broad flavor of marshmallow coffee cake, sweeter than I knew tobacco could be. Save yourself the trouble and allow me to shoulder the burden of smoking the ENTIRE STOCK of Leaf Only Jalapa Seco. It will be a hell-of-a task but I am up to the challenge. I begrudgingly heave myself upon this sword for you, brothers.
I'll be sure to avoid it like that thing that's going around.

Thanks for sharing your notes. I know how it is when you find something great....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

How did you taste test these? By themselves, or wrapped and bound in something? thx

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pound of Honduras Cuban Seed viso almost two years ago. When I first tried it I definitely wasn’t impressed with it so just tossed it at the bottom of my leaf pile and tried to let it age to see if it would improve. Well time passed and rolled a few sticks with it, simple blend, 70% t13 and 30% Honduras seed and well...not much better with age. Anyone got luck blending something decent wit it? Will let some of the sticks made in my humi for 6 months.... hopefully I might see some-kind of improvement but again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I made and stashed three blends w/ the Hondu viso:

The Wuhan was made to be a kick ass stick in honor of the virus:
1 Esteli viso
2 T-13
1/2 Hondu viso
Ecuadorian viso binder
Ecuadorian corojo wrapper

The similar Wuhan Aviso was likewise made in honor of the lockdown virus:
1/2 Esteli viso
1 Hondu viso
2 T-13
Ec viso binder
FXSS CT shade wrapper

As I say, both those were intended to smoke strong

Smooth Sailing was my attempt at smoothing the stuff:
3 Honduran viso
1/2 Rene
Ec viso binder
FXSS CT shade wrapper

I also tested two other blends:

2 H viso
1 Rene
Dom binder
Ec corojo wrap

3 Honduran viso
1/2 Rene
Ec viso binder
Ec corojo wrap

Neither of the above two were worth stashing. I yanked out one of the Smooth Sailing recently, to test, but I dunno that I was that impressed. Smokable. Might need more time.

Some leaves improve with time. Some don't. Others, like that Golden Hair, are good right off the table.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like anything more then 1/2 Honduras will be strong (in smaller sticks anyway). I have made several trials using two different viso varieties, two different seco varieties with one type of ligero and seems that most trials will balance out and end up being of medium strength.

Thanks for the blends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro