What's new

BOTL Weight Loss Thread

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Keep in mind if your sweating a lot you'll need a higher sodium intake. Now theres obviously still limits but it'll be more than what MFP is capping you at. Generally if your eating well and drinking enough water salting your food isn't something you'll have to worry about.
Salt is a big issue for me...have some genetic issues that causes my salt intake to be monitored.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Salt is a big issue for me...have some genetic issues that causes my salt intake to be monitored.
Fair enough... I only mentioned it because our bodies do use the sodium to regulate blood volume and pressure as well as helping control our water balance. Salt gets a bad rep but its also an important electrolyte so its not entirely evil.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Fair enough... I only mentioned it because our bodies do use the sodium to regulate blood volume and pressure as well as helping control our water balance. Salt gets a bad rep but its also an important electrolyte so its not entirely evil.
I agree but there is so much sodium in everything that you would have to be eating super clean and strict to have to worry about being low on sodium. 1tsp of salt is 2080mg of sodium. It's easy to over do it. Especially with seasoning when you are trying to flavor up your food. Be aware (everyone out there) that a lot of cheaper seasoning main ingredient is salt (or sugar...looking at you BBQ seasonings) so dumping it on everything might be an excess of sodium. I try and buy salt free seasonings or make my own and add the salt separate so I can regulate my intake. Also substitute salt for spicy like chipotle, cayenne. Good call though as it's something to be monitored both ways.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Here's an interesting article that helps to dispel the myth about "calories in equal calories out". It's not how much you eat but what you eat, so move on from calorie counting and restricting diets and start eating better:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/opinion/sunday/always-hungry-heres-why.html?_r=0
I agree whole heartedly about eating better but this article is speculation and not science. You still need to control calorie intake and have a negative split. Until science proves otherwise. It's really common sense as well.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I agree whole heartedly about eating better but this article is speculation and not science. You still need to control calorie intake and have a negative split. Until science proves otherwise. It's really common sense as well.
It's not speculation. There are links in the article to research published in JAMA, a peer reviewed scientific journal.

People and rats on low-fat / high carb diets gained weight while people and rats on diets higher in calories and lower on processed carb diets lost weight.

It is science, human physiology.

To paraphrase the article, 1000 calories of Coca Cola will make you fatter and more hungry, 1000 calories of broccoli will make you full and lose weight.

Bread, pasta, cereal, white rice, etc, get converted by the body to sugar. Eat more proteins, fats, and complex carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and you can eat more and lose weight. And feel better.

Last edited:

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
It's not speculation. There are links in the article to research published in JAMA, a peer reviewed scientific journal.

People and rats on low-fat / high carb diets gained weight while people and rats on diets higher in calories and lower on processed carb diets lost weight.

It is science, human physiology.

To paraphrase the article, 1000 calories of Coca Cola will make you fatter and more hungry, 1000 calories of broccoli will make you full and lose weight.

Bread, pasta, cereal, white rice, etc, get converted by the body to sugar. Eat more proteins, fats, and complex carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and you can eat more and lose weight. And feel better.
The study with rats was not performed on humans. And they specify that the rats on high glycemic diets in a negative calorie deficit, gained 70% more fat (specifying fat and not weight) which makes me wonder if they lost muscle but stored fat.

In any case, this was one experiment, with no real answers coming from it.

Like I said, I 100% agree that healthy eating needs to be the base for which everything else stems. And yes, you can eat more (mass wise) healthy foods than garbage, simple carb/sugar/trans fat and sodium laden foods but in the end, there needs to be less calories consumed than is motabolized to equal weight loss. There are right and wrong ways of achieving this and there in lies the problem. Also, you can curb eating, eat healthy and exercise but without addressing the underlying (not for all but for most I believe) emotional and or mental aspect of excessive eating, lethargy and poor diet choices.. things will eventually swing back the other way. It's a much bigger issue than just fixing habits.

Im glad you posted the article though because it causes healthy debate.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I'd also like to add, touching on the sentiment of the article. People who eat in a deficite but their diet consists on junk calories, empty cals, high fat/sugar or full of simple carbs, will lose weight in the short term but it is definitely unsustainable. That kind of eating in a deficit will cause moodiness, elevated hunger on a regular basis as the blood sugar yoyos with the high release of insulin, lack of energy, nutrient deficiencies and a lowered metabolism. As well it will cause a lack of energy for workouts and daily tasks, cause depression and frustration because of the mental effort it takes not to cave and eat more food.

When you eat clean; lower sodium, plenty of vegetables, complex carbs, healthy fats, lean proteins and overall nutrient dense foods.. you can feel full, have an abundance of energy and a high metabolic rate on a caloric deficit.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I've dropped ten pounds before in a month by not counting calories but only watching what went in. (And some mean ass cardio and gym days)
Imo I've watched this thread for a long time. SOOO many guys focus on such strong opinions. It's really quite simple.
Did it grow in the ground?
Was it fed(animal) quality grass or seed?
Is it part of a animal that is lean or high in healthy fats?(salmon)
Am I drinking only water during the day? (we didn't make, alter or process water gents)

Don't touch.......
Does it come from the center isles of grocery stores?
Is it in a box, can, bag or have added ingredients?
Has it been processed?
I'm mean honestly no matter what side of the keto, Palio or 7 others.... If you eat quality whole foods. You can loose the weight. I just tore my MCL on the R knee playing basketball with a bunch of 23 year olds. Four weeks from now I'll be doing the above to shed bad decisions from the holidays. (From 184 in May to 195 currently)
I guess what I'm saying is with out any scientific research. Someone can go into their local grocery store and lose weight with the above common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I've dropped ten pounds before in a month by not counting calories but only watching what went in. (And some mean ass cardio and gym days)
Imo I've watched this thread for a long time. SOOO many guys focus on such strong opinions. It's really quite simple.
Did it grow in the ground?
Was it fed(animal) quality grass or seed?
Is it part of a animal that is lean or high in healthy fats?(salmon)
Am I drinking only water during the day? (we didn't make, alter or process water gents)

Don't touch.......
Does it come from the center isles of grocery stores?
Is it in a box, can, bag or have added ingredients?
Has it been processed?
I'm mean honestly no matter what side of the keto, Palio or 7 others.... If you eat quality whole foods. You can loose the weight. I just tore my MCL on the R knee playing basketball with a bunch of 23 year olds. Four weeks from now I'll be doing the above to shed bad decisions from the holidays. (From 184 in May to 195 currently)
I guess what I'm saying is with out any scientific research. Someone can go into their local grocery store and lose weight with the above common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not exactly. I bulk, maintain, and cut weight eating the same foods and for the most part the same macronutrient proportions. The variable I tweak is calorie intake. I've used this to lose 40lb, bulk up 15lb, and cut another 10. Calorie intake is important.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did the up and down weight loss ride long enough. Step I one was to stop smoking cigars!!! Step 2 was stop drink Soda. Step 3 was ditch the booze and the beer shit!!! Step 4 find attractive female DR. To remove 80% stomach. I'm 10 months post surgery I've lost 170lbs and still losing couple pounds aweek 0 complications feel great! Starting smoking again few weeks after surgery!

4 month post surgery photo

https://twitter.com/maduromadman

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Well I did the up and down weight loss ride long enough. Step I one was to stop smoking cigars!!! Step 2 was stop drink Soda. Step 3 was ditch the booze and the beer shit!!! Step 4 find attractive female DR. To remove 80% stomach. I'm 10 months post surgery I've lost 170lbs and still losing couple pounds aweek 0 complications feel great! Starting smoking again few weeks after surgery!

4 month post surgery photo

You resorted to removing 80% of your stomach instead changing your eating habits? Yikes...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You resorted to removing 80% of your stomach instead changing your eating habits? Yikes...
Did both but oh yeah it was pretty drastic had to change the eating habits and lots of hard work and exercise but dropping a hundred pounds in 3 months made exercise easy. No shit yikes I thought I was gonna die for the first month!

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Did both but oh yeah it was pretty drastic had to change the eating habits and lots of hard work and exercise but dropping a hundred pounds in 3 months made exercise easy. No shit yikes I thought I was gonna die for the first month!

You do you. Congratulations on your life change and accomplishments. You are doing big things my man, keep it up.

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
So looks like weekly updates is gonna be rough just a lot of stuff going on. I've kept up to working out 3 days a week which I'm really happy about. Having a gym in your community makes it really convenient. Eating well has been a bit of a struggle to get back into. I'm making some progress but not the losses I would like to see. I'm putting the time in at the gym I just need to focus and account for every calorie I eat.
Goal by 12/31/17: 220 lbs
Currentweight: 298 lbs
Distance to goal: 76.4 lbs

Weight on:
1/9/17: 298 lbs.
1/30/17: 296.4

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Down 20 lbs since Jan 7th. I have not changed my exercise routine (mostly walking). But I have:

-Completely eliminated table sugar from diet.

-Increased water intake dramatically.

-Limiting pasta, bread, rice etc.

-Increased protein, healthy fats and fresh fruits/veggies.

-Limiting alcohol consumption during work week.

-Trying to get 8 hours sleep.

I feel great and don't feel hungry at all. I don't think I've dramatically lowered my calories, but I've improved the quality of the food I'm eating.

With nicer weather on the horizon I'm hoping to resume running 3-4 time a week, which should allow a few more beers back into the diet!

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
So a bit of content to bump this thread up...

My name is Josh, and I'm a fat bastard.
Ok maybe it's not QUITE that serious, but it's something I've been working on for some time now. I don't eat the best food, I drink like a fish, and I sit on my ass all day. As I reflect on the trend of my weight loss, I think a significant portion of it has been gained due to the amount of alcohol I consume - so starting last night, I'm cutting it out. Not completely to where I just refuse to ever have a pour, but it can no longer be an every night thing, where i'm 4 to 6 fingers deep in scotch - as tasty as it might be. I also can't continue eating the amount of fat that I consume. I fucking love fat, but I hate BEING fat, so i'm gonna have to make some deeper changes. Again, not every single day, but on a scale larger than 'sometimes'. I've tried calorie counting with limited success, I've tried watching carbs with some unsustainable success, so I'm going to take a new approach.

First, eliminate 90% of my alcohol intake. Fuck. Do I have to? I think i do. My best guess is I consume enough calorie wise monthly that it probably equals the equivalent of 5+lbs a month of fat (yes, I realize that alcohol calories aren't stored as fat, but it probably means the food is).
Second, eliminate 90% of my diet soda intake (and all soda for that matter) intake
Third, continue to exercise, and increase the frequency
Fourth, stop worrying so much about 'how much' I eat, and worry more about 'what' I eat. This means fresh instead of processed. This also means more veggies and less fatty meat. As part of this, I have to 'get over it' when produce goes bad. I find that i feel guilty (and stop wanting to buy it) just because a piece or two of this or that doesn't get eaten. I'm looking at it all wrong. I need to look at what i DID consume, versus what I wasted.

I'm 215 give or take today. My goal is to get to 175 by the end of summer. As a supplement to all of the above, I'm going to begin taking Alli 3x daily to help reduce fat absorption, but it's not a magic pill. It can only help me if I'm eating the right things.

Am I insane? Is this possible?

Did I also mention my wife is going to do this with me, she just doesn't know it yet :) She's gonna figure it out when she see's what I buy at the grocery this week.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For all of you trying to lose weight, I feel for you. Congratulations on your success so far. You can do it, so don't give up.

My story, if anyone is interested. In 2003, I was at 280 lbs. Tried to diet, but could not keep to any. I finally read Dr. Atkin's book a couple times from cover to cover, and it made sense. In June of '03, may wife and I started a strict Atkin's induction diet. Eggs for breakfast, sometimes with bacon. A salad for lunch with lean protein, and no sugar dressings. Two cups of low carb vegetables for dinner, with a lean protein. No sugars, no starches, no grains whatsoever. Sometimes we'd have a dessert, sometimes not. We learned to make flax muffins, sugar free cheesecake, sugar free creams pies, even cakes and pies using flax meal, protein powder, and fats. For sweeteners, we used a combination of pure liquid sucralose (sucralose packets are mostly corn sugar), erythritol and xylitol.

By the end of the year I was down to 180 lbs. (100 lbs. in 6 months), and my wife had gone from a size 18, to a size 5. When I changed to Atkin's maintenance, I quickly gained 10 lbs., but I maintained my weight at 190 lbs. for over 10 years.

The biggest mistake I made, was to include soy products in my weight loss regiment and maintenance. Raw and/or processed soy is pure poison. I first developed a soy allergy, which cascaded into gluten, nut, legume, corn, chocolate and caffeine allergies. I also have problems with foods that contain potato starch, and most gums/thickeners. Since I have had to change my eating habits, I've put on 33 lbs.

So, I have 33 lbs. to lose, and this thread may just be the kick in the butt I needed to get serious, and drop the weight.