What's new

BOTL Weight Loss Thread

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A nutritionist/trainer that I like named Vinnie Tortorich says, "it's not what you eat from November to December, it's what you eat from December to November."
Absolute truth right there! This will be the second year that I've timed things out right to enjoy a nice short bulk over the holidays. If I don't get too crazy I can keep the lean bulk going till Feb/Mar then start reeling it back and repeat the process.
Glad to see you guys still going at it be it cutting or maintaining. Don't stop chasing those goals!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I really need to do something. I'm working from home and hardly get out of the house except to walk the dogs. Plans to buy fitnes equipment have been scrapped due to my artist daughter taking over what was to be my man cave. My weight is up, my blood sugar is up. I wish there was a place with a pool I could pay money and reserve a lap lane for 30 minutes a day. I can manage with maybe one other but if it gets more than that it's just not fun.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I really need to do something. I'm working from home and hardly get out of the house except to walk the dogs. Plans to buy fitnes equipment have been scrapped due to my artist daughter taking over what was to be my man cave. My weight is up, my blood sugar is up. I wish there was a place with a pool I could pay money and reserve a lap lane for 30 minutes a day. I can manage with maybe one other but if it gets more than that it's just not fun.
Just getting your diet in check would be a great start. You don't even have to dive into cutting calories. Just getting an idea of where your maintenance is then focusing on balance is something we should all do IMO.
Are you able to do pull-ups? Combined with push-ups and a little walking/running you'd have a solid little routine with minimal gear. If you want to get a little fancier I rig up my pull up bar with a dyna band to do tricep extensions, cable flys, and Lat pull downs. Cheap, versatile, and easy to store if you get the bar that hooks on the door frame.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do walk 2 to 3 miles a day. Im almost 60 and the last pull ups I did were 40 yeas a go. I guess I should come up with a routine of something though. .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So a friend of mine turned me on to the keto diet which is talked about frequently in here. I have to admit it sounds better than other diets I have tried. Eating fat/protein and keeping carbs to under 50g daily? Where do I sign up?? But also I saw a page dedicated to this 30 days of bacon only diet. It's a variation of keto which tends to lead to sticking with a keto diet or something low carb. I may just try a week of it and see how I am after that. I expect to be tired, maybe light headed, probably hungry at night. It said to have 2Lbs of bacon daily or 30ish pieces.

The one thing that has stuck from previous diets is drinking water. I started drinking just water when I was 20 and have stuck with just water. I did lower the amount of beer I had weekly as I used to homebrew but haven't in 2-3 years. I do have a few beers at the local craft brewery every 2 weeks or so. Would that throw everything off course? I don't think so but I could always ask the owners/brewers if they have a carb count of the ones I drink.

Anyways, that's my current thoughts. The big reason I never stick with diets is the blandness of them. It's always stuff I don't normally eat. But a diet where it's okay to eat a thick burger with bacon, meatloaf wrapped in bacon, grilled chicken with bacon and lettuce, BACONBACONBACON. I'll have to really give this one a try.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So a friend of mine turned me on to the keto diet which is talked about frequently in here. I have to admit it sounds better than other diets I have tried. Eating fat/protein and keeping carbs to under 50g daily? Where do I sign up?? But also I saw a page dedicated to this 30 days of bacon only diet. It's a variation of keto which tends to lead to sticking with a keto diet or something low carb. I may just try a week of it and see how I am after that. I expect to be tired, maybe light headed, probably hungry at night. It said to have 2Lbs of bacon daily or 30ish pieces.

The one thing that has stuck from previous diets is drinking water. I started drinking just water when I was 20 and have stuck with just water. I did lower the amount of beer I had weekly as I used to homebrew but haven't in 2-3 years. I do have a few beers at the local craft brewery every 2 weeks or so. Would that throw everything off course? I don't think so but I could always ask the owners/brewers if they have a carb count of the ones I drink.

Anyways, that's my current thoughts. The big reason I never stick with diets is the blandness of them. It's always stuff I don't normally eat. But a diet where it's okay to eat a thick burger with bacon, meatloaf wrapped in bacon, grilled chicken with bacon and lettuce, BACONBACONBACON. I'll have to really give this one a try.
I'm on keto, and it's no diet for me... I've made it into a lifestyle. Give it time and you'll cut like never before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I mean that's the end goal with anything, adapting it to be burned into your brain so it's just the daily routine. I was that way for about 6 months having fruit smoothies for breakfast and lunch then a meal for dinner. But like everything else I've done it only lasts for so long. It's really just about sticking with something and keep my weight even. Not looking for a big loss either. 20Lbs, maybe 30. I've been sitting from 200-205 for the last several years now and want to get back to 185-190, maybe lower if I like the shape I get to.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
FWIW your average 5% pilsners, blondes, and pale ales are normally going to be in the ballpark of 15g carbs. IPAs and other higher abv beers start pushing into the 20-30g per 12oz.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Been a while since there was an update ITT so I figured I'd pop in to see how everyone is doing in the midst of holiday season. Ive been giving this carb cycling thing a go while eating at maintenance and have been enjoying it so far for the most part. Ive kept the split simple cycling high(~175g), moderate(~125g), low(~75g), high, moderate, moderate, low. This ends up pairing my high/moderate days with the days I workout, +1 weekend day, and the low carb days for my off days. The low carb days kind of suck but having more room to work in some more fruits and stuff I'd been staying away from the rest of the week has been nice.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I gotta lay off the damn ice cream in the new year. 2016 ice cream alone added 30 pounds to my sorry ass. Unacceptable. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Ok - trying to hop back on the wagon, let myself go a bit in the past few years. My goal is to lose 55 pounds. Jumping in with gym after work each day. Diet will be eggs in the morning, salad for lunch, meat and brown rice for dinner. Limit the drinking to the weekend only.

Weigh in: 1.3.17 - 235.

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Well time flies and it's been since May 30th since I've posted here about my weight loss. I've had a lot of things going on this year new baby, new house, among other things. I've managed to completely derail my diet and exercise plan since my last post. Looking back I was down to 284 at my lowest. Upon stepping on my scale this morning I've gained 14lbs back in only 7 months. I can't believe it packed back on that fast. The bright side is that I'm back on track and ready to get back at it.
My new house has a gym/workout room as part of the hoa and I literally have to drive by it 2x a day so I have zero excuse to stop in and get a workout. I plan to keep the same eating habits that helped me to lose a lot in 2016. So here is my first update back

Goal by 12/31/17: 220 lbs
Current weight: 298 lbs
Distance to goal: 78 lbs

Weight on:
1/9/17: 298 lbs.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Well time flies and it's been since May 30th since I've posted here about my weight loss. I've had a lot of things going on this year new baby, new house, among other things. I've managed to completely derail my diet and exercise plan since my last post. Looking back I was down to 284 at my lowest. Upon stepping on my scale this morning I've gained 14lbs back in only 7 months. I can't believe it packed back on that fast. The bright side is that I'm back on track and ready to get back at it.
My new house has a gym/workout room as part of the hoa and I literally have to drive by it 2x a day so I have zero excuse to stop in and get a workout. I plan to keep the same eating habits that helped me to lose a lot in 2016. So here is my first update back

Goal by 12/31/17: 220 lbs
Current weight: 298 lbs
Distance to goal: 78 lbs

Weight on:
1/9/17: 298 lbs.
Awesome brother. Glad to see you're back on the wagon. Life is tough and having a baby and moving is really rough.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
http://www.livestrong.com/article/331651-burning-fat-vs-glycogen/

Keep scrolling till you can't. These articles might help you understand (if you don't already) a little about the process and what's taking place in the body.

My best beginners advice; don't concentrate on carbs/protein/fats so much and just stick with a simple 40/40/20 split and eat under what you burn in a day by 500-1000 calories. Stay away from sugar/salt as much as possible. Eat whole grains/vegatbles/fruit and lean (unbreaded) meats. Don't skip breakfast and eat light at night. Hit the gym and give it all you've got when you are there, don't skip rest days and get good sleep. It's not a day, a week, or a month.. it's your life; but take it one day at a time. Good luck everyone.

Edit: AND count your calories. Biggest mistake is guessing. It's tedious at first but you'll get fast and it'll just be routine. As you lose weight, reduce your intake. (If you hit a plateau. But don't slash 500, cut out an extra 200 one week and see how it goes and reduce if necessary) remember your goal is sustainable change. This isn't a get rich quick scheme, it's a Tortuous and The Hare model.

Last edited:

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
ys
http://www.livestrong.com/article/331651-burning-fat-vs-glycogen/

Keep scrolling till you can't. These articles might help you understand (if you don't already) a little about the process and what's taking place in the body.

My best beginners advice; don't concentrate on carbs/protein/fats so much and just stick with a simple 40/40/20 split and eat under what you burn in a day by 500-1000 calories. Stay away from sugar/salt as much as possible. Eat whole grains/vegatbles/fruit and lean (unbreaded) meats. Don't skip breakfast and eat light at night. Hit the gym and give it all you've got when you are there, don't skip rest days and get good sleep. It's not a day, a week, or a month.. it's your life; but take it one day at a time. Good luck everyone.

Edit: AND count your calories. Biggest mistake is guessing. It's tedious at first but you'll get fast and it'll just be routine. As you lose weight, reduce your intake. (If you hit a plateau. But don't slash 500, cut out an extra 200 one week and see how it goes and reduce if necessary) remember your goal is sustainable change. This isn't a get rich quick scheme, it's a Tortuous and The Hare model.
Thanks for this. my fitnesspal does a great job to make counting calories easy. I remember I tried to lose some weight a few years back and was focused on the sodium content too much and it made it really hard for me to lose weight. My process this time is to try and lose 1.5 lbs a week and once I shed the weight then I will transition to focusing on limiting the sodium. The gym seems to be really helping and even if I don't go for that long I always try to get on the treadmill for 20 minutes to burn some calories. Alcohol has been the hardest part, nothing better than a tasty beverage and a stogie at the end of the night.

Everything in moderation I guess....

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Keep in mind if your sweating a lot you'll need a higher sodium intake. Now theres obviously still limits but it'll be more than what MFP is capping you at. Generally if your eating well and drinking enough water salting your food isn't something you'll have to worry about.