What's new

BOTL Weight Loss Thread

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I was looking at what I ate yesterday and I have no idea how to raise the fat in my food while still keeping clean. I found I was heavy on protein and just a bit over on carbs, but fat was really low.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Olive oil, peanut butter, almonds, fish in the diet just to name a few

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I was looking at what I ate yesterday and I have no idea how to raise the fat in my food while still keeping clean. I found I was heavy on protein and just a bit over on carbs, but fat was really low.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Throw a hard boiled egg in there. Maybe a serving of mixed nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Everybody mentioned most of my go to fat sources.

Eggs
Mozzarella cheese
Avacado
Coconut oil
Macadamia nuts
Macadamia nut oil
Fish oils
Honey roasted peanuts or cashews

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I always forget to mention avocados bcuz I hate them hahaha
Try mashing the avocado up and mixing it with some rice cooked in chicken stock. Season with garlic and chili powder with a squeeze of fresh lime. I'm not crazy about avocado by itself but I eat this dish all the time. Reminds me of taco salad. My favorite is adding in some ground turkey breast cooked in coconut oil with it.

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Try mashing the avocado up and mixing it with some rice cooked in chicken stock. Season with garlic and chili powder with a squeeze of fresh lime. I'm not crazy about avocado by itself but I eat this dish all the time. Reminds me of taco salad. My favorite is adding in some ground turkey breast cooked in coconut oil with it.
Thanks for the tip broski

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just found this thread, figured I would share my experience.
I decided to start working out when I hit 220 pounds, at 6'2" and 20 years old, I decided it was time to care about myself.
I started by going to the gym and just messing around, burning 500 calories on the elliptical as fast as possible then doing some lifting. Not long after that I switched to the treadmill and trying to run a mile as fast as possible. When I started I was dying after a ten minute mile, within two months I was down to 7:30.
When the weather got nicer I started going to a local park with a fit trail, a network of workout stations connected by a running trail. GREAT full body exercise. I would o the fit trail in about a half hour and shoot around with a basketball for another hour. 7 Months after I started working out I had lost 50 pounds.
When I moved to phoenix, I got really into distance running and swimming. I would run a 5k, hit the pool for 250 meters, and hit the resistance bands for an intense 30 minute upper body set. Now that my resistance bands are broken and I don't have access to a pool, I'm just focusing on my running.
Now, 3 years after I decided enough was enough, I lost 70 pounds of fat and gained 10 of muscle, my base run is 4-6 miles, and I can bust out a 5:40 mile.
Now I'm trying to build a little bulk (but I hate using supplements) and training for a half-marathon (short term goal) and an ultramarathon (100+ miles, log term goal).
I want to say I'm not trying to brag, but I'm pretty damn proud of myself. I've never been in better shape, I have clothes from middle school that are too big for me.
Lets just Hope I don't let myself go in the midst of all my current turmoil and uncertainty.
Edit: I also cut out all white bread and almost all processed foods, and keep my added sugar to less than 20 grams daily. Also, DRINK TONS OF WATER!
Seriously impressive work! Im hoping to run my first 5k race on Oct 1st and want to do the local 7 Mile Bridge run next year. Ive been running pretty consistently for over a year now so I think its time I started racing the clock a little.
FWIW I'm helping train/bulk a good friend of mine thats a serious 800m runner and he had to wait until off season to be able to put weight on. The amount of food he has to eat just to maintain weight during season is insane! Once he was able to cut his volume back for a few months Ive been able to pack 10lbs on him and up his squat a good 70 lbs. I don't want to discourage you but training for a half marathon and putting some size on at the same time is going to be tough. I won't say impossible but I hope your stomach is a bottomless pit lol.
My 2 cents on supps... I don't think anyone needs to take supplements to bulk up but I understand where they can help in certain situations. Stuffing down 3000-4000 cals a day in clean whole foods isn't easy so I see why people use protein shakes and weight gainers. Especially if your an ectomorph aka "hard gainer." Really though, the one thing thats been tested and studied more than anything is good ol' creatine monohydrate. Tried and true. Vitamin D is another thats good for muscle growth(amongst a ton of other benefits) thats worth considering since the majority of people are deficient in it. Granted if your running often then you probably get enough from the sun.

Thanks for the tip broski
No prob. I don't think theres a better quality source of fats and fiber than avocado so hopefully it works for you.

Last edited:
Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Just caught up on this whole thread. I saw keto mentioned once earlier but nothing else. Has anyone looked into it or tried it? I've been eating keto since around Father's Day, and I'm not really one that "needed" to lose weight, I just decided I wanted to start being healthier. I'm 6' and I was around 175-180. In 2 months I was down to 160, and I didn't even really have much to lose. Just getting into shape. It's tough at first. The biggest and first step is cutting out sugar. If you can cut out sugar you're already 1/3 there. Next is breads, pasta, rice. It's not easy but that gets you the next 1/3. After that is legumes, corn and potatoes. Those are the hardest, and they're also the carbs I still indulge in small doses, besides beer. True keto is supposed to be 70% of your calories in fat, 25% in proteins, and 5% in carbs. Many people that do it also to refeeds occasionally, whether it's once a week or less often varies. I've cut out enough that I still enjoy a beer or two often and keep my carbs below 50g/day. I love my craft beer and have no intention of giving them up. I didn't start this to lose weight, it's all about a lifestyle change. Simple carbs were never intended in the human diet, we picked that up along the way. Even if you can't get to, or don't want to get to, a full keto diet just sticking with whole grain, real foods goes a long way. Eat wild caught fish, grass fed beef and other meats, free roam chickens and their eggs. Eat good fats, coconut oil, avocados, nuts and seeds. It's not as cheap, or usually not as quick, but it makes a huge difference and you can fee the difference. I've never been one to want to get up in the morning. That's not an exaggeration, I mean never. In the past few months I've been getting up early and enjoyed taking my time in the morning. I love coffee, now I enjoy it with mct oil and/or grass fed butter. The energy you get from mct oil is unsurpassed. If you try this out, it's amazing the difference you'll see and feel. My dad has been doing it for almost two years and he has lost most of his excess weight and he looks and feels 10 years younger.

As far as fitness, I've started a functional fitness journey. I still use some dumbbells and barbells but I've started doing a lot of stretching and calisthenics as well as steel club, steel mace and kettlebell work. You'd be surprised how many of the small support muscles you weren't working out before. I have no desire to "bulk up" or gain a lot of mass. I just want to be strong and have a healthy, functional body. It's fun rather than monotonous, it's useful in everyday movements, and it has made me feel better than any workouts I've done in the past.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I grew up watching my mom keto diet. It does work for people but I have a few issues with it. The problem is a lot of people get off keto and balloon right back up because they don't really know how to eat right. By limiting carbs it reduces muscle glycogen stores which in turn lowers water weight. That's where a lot of the weight keto dieters lose is. This is a pretty common trick bodybuilders use the week before a show to drop their water before carb loading.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Women have a different issue with keto than men as well, they just have to approach it differently. That said, it's not about water weight to me. My body has shifted where it gains its energy from. If glucose is available then that's what your body burns for energy, if it's not it burns fat. The liver changes it to ketones and it's a much more efficient fuel for our bodies. I feel better, I eat better, I sleep better, I'm more energetic daily. With everything else you still have to eat right. The biggest goal anyone should have is eating real foods. Cut out the processed crap that America has adopted and you get healthier.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Women have a different issue with keto than men as well, they just have to approach it differently. That said, it's not about water weight to me. My body has shifted where it gains its energy from. If glucose is available then that's what your body burns for energy, if it's not it burns fat. The liver changes it to ketones and it's a much more efficient fuel for our bodies. I feel better, I eat better, I sleep better, I'm more energetic daily. With everything else you still have to eat right. The biggest goal anyone should have is eating real foods. Cut out the processed crap that America has adopted and you get healthier.

The catch is in order to get into ketosis your body first has to deplete its glycogen stores which hold about 4x their weight in water. Once this has happened and the body realizes there aren't more carbs coming in it starts to transition to a different fuel source. This is why you hear stories of keto dieters going over on their carbs and gaining like 4lbs since they're glycogen stores are essentially empty. I'm not saying that's what keto is all about only that that's a natural result of cutting carbs because of glycogens relationship with water.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have you tried it before?

No though I eat fairly low carb so it's normal for my weight to jump 3-5 lbs after a refeed then return to normal in a day or two. I have done some of the water manipulation protocols fighters and bodybuilders use though. You can shed upwards of 10lbs in a week and put it all back on in nearly 24 hours. Crazy stuff.

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Weighed in at 215 this morning. 5lbs to goal, down 33lbs since beginning of Feb.
I have been keeping on track and fluctuating between 207-209 the last couple weeks. At this point, I have surpassed my goal and am down 40lbs since Feb. Not really looking to lose a ton more weight, I am happy where I'm at.

Still feels as if I am thinning out, and I have been going pretty hard at the weights lately. While eating at a deficit, I managed to deadlift 365 and squat 345 a couple weeks ago. I haven't hit those kind of numbers in YEARS.

Hope everyone else is staying on track!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just went through this whole thread. Some great progress in here. How is the weight loss going @manbearpig? I will be starting something up soon. A new gym just opened up in my town. I have no excuses for not going since its 2 min from the house and figure I better get a membership and shed some weight. Currently at 248.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I and many people I know have been eating keto for various lengths of time. Weight losses vary between 10 to 80 pounds, depending on how long is been since they changed their nutrition life-style. I'm a believer.

I'm in absolutely no affiliation with the following site, but
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/06/30/weekend-bonus-the-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/

has the most spot on low carb pizza recipe I've found - and I've tried most of 'em. Ditch that cauliflower crust crap that inevitably falls apart and just turns to mess, this actually holds its form. Plus the guy has some pro-cigar blogs...:cigar:

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Just went through this whole thread. Some great progress in here. How is the weight loss going @manbearpig? I will be starting something up soon. A new gym just opened up in my town. I have no excuses for not going since its 2 min from the house and figure I better get a membership and shed some weight. Currently at 248.
I've been somewhat derailed in my weight loss program. I've resolved to not gaining for the time being. I plan to pick this back up after the upcoming move and holidays.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A nutritionist/trainer that I like named Vinnie Tortorich says, "it's not what you eat from November to December, it's what you eat from December to November."