What's new

Brothers who homebrew!?!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks, I just realized you were in Mesa, I am in Yuma. Have you seen the thread about a southern California vs PHX area meetup in Yuma? We are trying to nail down a date still later this summer or early September, which, as you know, is still summer in AZ

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have seen that and am interested but my schedule with my kids is pretty crazy and i rarely get a weekend free to do something like that
Oh yeah, totally understand that. I have one kid and he keeps us quite busy, I can't imagine what its like when we have another.
Well, hopefully you can make it when we nail down a date.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Brewed up 5gal of our saison last night that will get 10lb of fresh picked wild prickly pear cactus fruit added to secondary late last night after our botl herf. I hate brews like this only because they will disappear so fast and aren't easy to make more of.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Took a gravity reading today and my Smoked Märzen is right on schedule. Starting to raise the temp for a diacetyl rest for a few days then crash cool it. Transfer off of the yeast and lager it. Hydrometer sample was real tasty. :D

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow, that sounds good. Well, once I get all my equipment and get some experience, it looks like I am going to have to get some recipes from you guys.

And I am going to start off bottling, bit o want to get going on a keg system and a little kegarator, any tips or lessons learned from people that do it?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Both, I have a few buddies here that brew. One still bottles and has for years and says it is a pain and he should switch to kegging. And the other guys just started brewing this winter and switched to keg quickly and said don't even waste your time bottling. I know kegging would be easier, but a lot more $$ up front to start.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I do both because I don't want 12%abv stouts in a keg forever. Plus higher carb is achievable with bottles if you bottle condition and I do for a lot of beer still. Mindless pale ales and IPAs I wi stick in the keg. Funny enough I use the kegs to bottle anyhow because of my ability to limit oxygen exposure.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great, thanks for the info. Probably will start bottling, and then save up a little scratch to get into a keg system

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was also thinking doing both would be a good idea, because you may want to bring some with you, bit don't want to drag a keg with you. Also has anyone every just fill a growler from their keg to bring some Brew with u?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I was also thinking doing both would be a good idea, because you may want to bring some with you, bit don't want to drag a keg with you. Also has anyone every just fill a growler from their keg to bring some Brew with u?
I do this all the time, ask Moldman about our last herf! ;)

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I do this all the time, ask Moldman about our last herf! ;)
I'll say it now. I call dibs on a corney keg of your Cal Common. I've filled 1 and 2 liter flip tops from my keg without to many issues. One, a rye cream ale that sat in the storage compartment for around 4 months as it travelled around the Southern US before it was opened. No noticeable issues were reported except for a little fog of CO2 at the mouth when it was chilled and popped. :)