What's new

CA Cigar of the Year?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I know everyone's tastes are different but I would not smoke/buy some of cigars that were on the CA top 25 list last year.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Another guess for the Melanio, probably the maduro.

Two alternates would be DPG 10th, and something from the LAT line.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Now I am unsure of exactly how things are put onto the list but will say that usually CC's get rated quite well in the magazine but it is a pretty consistant 3-4 in the top 25. While they do not put out as many new releases as come out of NC's the list at the very least will be skewed towards the american shopper. It is also done with more casual smokers then the ones here usually in mind. There are always some I agree with and some I laugh at but I still look forward to the list.

JEB

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whomever pays the most advertising money will determine the list. A bunch of horse crap IMO. Blind reviews and they only smoke an inch of each cigar. Example, Cigar of the year 2009 - Casa Magna??!?! Come on, really?
7-20-4 lancero scored a 92 in the most recent issue, highest rated cigar manufactured in Honduras and highest rated Lancero... never advertised with CA before. Remove the tinfoil caps gentlemen, its not nearly as bad as many think it is when it comes to advertising dollars having an effect on ratings.
Whether or not advertising has anything to do with it. They still only smoke one inch of a cigar for a review! They have verified this statement more than once in their personal blogs on the CA site. To me that is outrageous. And Gordon Mott trying to justify just smoking one inch is pathetic. Their reviews are useless.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Whomever pays the most advertising money will determine the list. A bunch of horse crap IMO. Blind reviews and they only smoke an inch of each cigar. Example, Cigar of the year 2009 - Casa Magna??!?! Come on, really?
7-20-4 lancero scored a 92 in the most recent issue, highest rated cigar manufactured in Honduras and highest rated Lancero... never advertised with CA before. Remove the tinfoil caps gentlemen, its not nearly as bad as many think it is when it comes to advertising dollars having an effect on ratings.
Whether or not advertising has anything to do with it. They still only smoke one inch of a cigar for a review! They have verified this statement more than once in their personal blogs on the CA site. To me that is outrageous. And Gordon Mott trying to justify just smoking one inch is pathetic. Their reviews are useless.
He also revised his statement and said he smokes up to half quite often. Still weird, but the one inch thing isn't valid anymore.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I'd like to see a liga make the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive always wondered why they havent, and i think its because they arent sold in enough stores? dont know if anyone can clarify ?
If you look at their reviews monthly, Ligas do not rate that well.
Well it is all a matter of preferance. For me I will smoke general and Altadis stuff ahead of liga. I know many here love liga the only ones I kinda enjoy are the OR#9's. One of the very few cigars I remember hating was the Pre release T52 pig. Still the worst cigar I have smoked this decade. That said I still respect the fact that they are good cigars just do to the fact that I respect so many smokers that love them. I think we all need to remember just cause I don't like them doesnt make them bad cigars

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
I'd like to see a liga make the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive always wondered why they havent, and i think its because they arent sold in enough stores? dont know if anyone can clarify ?
If you look at their reviews monthly, Ligas do not rate that well.
Well it is all a matter of preferance. For me I will smoke general and Altadis stuff ahead of liga. I know many here love liga the only ones I kinda enjoy are the OR#9's. One of the very few cigars I remember hating was the Pre release T52 pig. Still the worst cigar I have smoked this decade. That said I still respect the fact that they are good cigars just do to the fact that I respect so many smokers that love them. I think we all need to remember just cause I don't like them doesnt make them bad cigars
I think some of the testers CA use like more milder cigars. For the most part, members of this forum like stronger cigars, but that is not a good barometer of the average cigar smoker. Stronger cigars are growing in popularity, but the bulk of cigar smokers care for more medium and mild cigars. I am guessing CA uses a broad group of smokers for their reviews, in order to get a more encompassing opinion of the cigars.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
What is a Wet Pack?
When cigars are rolled they are moist, especially the wrapper, to allow for easier rolling. Cigars that arent wet packed are usually 'dried out' a bit before they are boxed up. Wet packing means that they are sealed in a package, usually foil, when they are still in this moist state. Google it, might give you a better description than me.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Like I said before, horse crap.