What's new

CA Cigar of the Year?

brandoncpm

BoM Nov '13
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I don't think they've done horrible this year. I have some disagreements as I do with all Top 25s. It would've been nice id the Lat was #2 instead. The monte 2 is better choice than the past couple years at least

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
The CA list is a farce. Has been for a long time. Whether or not they stopped only smoking 1". It's the fact that they did at one point. That and they rate cigars that came out in prior years. What kind of a list is that? IMO CA is completely out of touch. I canceled my subscription last year. Good riddance.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
That could be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posted.

You truly think CA would rate a Cuban cigar #1 to drive sales to Altadis?

If so I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn...
No, I don't really think that. I posted what I actually think earlier... I think CA thought this decision would restore some credibility, that's all. The recent Monte 2's are by most accounts are smoking very well, and it removes the "they'll never pick a Cuban cause Cuba can't advertise" stigma. Win win for CA.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an avid smoker, and a Canadian living in the US, I do have the best of both worlds living not too far from the border, however, I can't agree nor disagree with CA. However, my opinion is that there are so many great cigars other than Cuban. If you were to ever go and shop for cigars in Canada, all the non-cubans are grossly over priced and the selection is scarce as well as all the selections they have are over priced Cuban cigars. It's always an exciting thing to see what CA will list but for every individual, you like what you like. Alec Bradley's for me!...my 2 cents...

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I love how CA picks the Prensado and they get slammed for going out on a limb with a cigar most people didn't think was superior, and then they get slammed for choosing an acknowledged classic that is smoking well this year. Some people are just going to hate because they feel like hating, I guess.

As for me, I don't care if some readers or retailers have trouble because they rate Cubans. Many Americans smoke Cuban cigars, CA's readers included, and it's helpful that they rate them alongside NCs.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I love how CA picks the Prensado and they get slammed for going out on a limb with a cigar most people didn't think was superior, and then they get slammed for choosing an acknowledged classic that is smoking well this year. Some people are just going to hate because they feel like hating, I guess.

As for me, I don't care if some readers or retailers have trouble because they rate Cubans. Many Americans smoke Cuban cigars, CA's readers included, and it's helpful that they rate them alongside NCs.
Very well put.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

No, I don't really think that. I posted what I actually think earlier... I think CA thought this decision would restore some credibility, that's all. The recent Monte 2's are by most accounts are smoking very well, and it removes the "they'll never pick a Cuban cause Cuba can't advertise" stigma. Win win for CA.
You do realize Cubans have been #1 in the past which makes your argument completely invalid.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0

You do realize Cubans have been #1 in the past which makes your argument completely invalid.
First, I'm not really making an argument, I'm just BSin on a cigar site. That being said, the fact that they chose a Behike in '10 doesn't invalidate what I said. In '08 they went with a rogue choice. In '09 and '10 they played it safe with Cohiba and Padron. The past two years the selected out of the box choices and both years were trashed on the boards and at least in many conversations I was part of or overheard with cigar smokers. In my own opinion, they felt it was time to return to something safe.

As far as the advertising dollar is concerned, that's a common sentiment found all over the place. Picking a Cuban helps CA overcome that stigma. That was true in '07, '10, and now.

Last edited:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
...now we just have to find out the box code of the year that they rated...
Don't think they gave the specific box code, but they did say it was from an April 2013 box, which I found very interesting. ;)
Alright kev you and me, 10 box split :) we have to be ready for the year lol
Haha. Let's at least wait for a "sale", OK? I do love me some Monte 2's, but I personally think 3+ year aged ones absolutely blow the freshies out of the water. :)

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Here's the complete 25 for everyone to get all bent outta shape over :)

25 - ROMEO by Romeo y Julieta Toro En Tubo
24 - Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto
23 - Casa Magna Colorado Extraordinario
22 - La Palina Classic Toro
21 - Bolivar Royal Corona (Cuban)
20 - Nat Sherman Timeless Collection Divino
19 - My Father Le Bijou 1922 Box Press Torpedo
18 - Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary Robusto
17 - La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Reserva Maximo
16 - Asylum Premium 2012 Vintage 44x4
15 - Fernando León Family Reserve Belicoso
14 - La Flor Dominicana Oro Chisel
13 - Fuente Fuente OpusX Super Belicoso
12 - L’Atelier LAT56
11 - Oliva Serie O Churchill
10 - Ashton Virgin Sun Grown Spellbound
9 - Gurkha 125th Anniversary XO
8 - Herrera Esteli Piramide Fino
7 - Buenaventura BV560
6 - Arturo Fuente Don Carlos No. 2
5 - Cohiba Behike BHK 54 (Cuban)
4 - Padrón 1964 Anniversary Series Diplomatico Maduro
3 - Davidoff Nicaragua Toro
2 - Aging Room Quattro F55 Concerto
1 - Montecristo #2 (Cuban)

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
...now we just have to find out the box code of the year that they rated...
Don't think they gave the specific box code, but they did say it was from an April 2013 box, which I found very interesting. ;)
Alright kev you and me, 10 box split :) we have to be ready for the year lol
Haha. Let's at least wait for a "sale", OK? I do love me some Monte 2's, but I personally think 3+ year aged ones absolutely blow the freshies out of the water. :)
Sales?!? With the 10 boxes we would make our own personal sale based on volume! A permanent coupon as it where! Come on, it's not peer pressure..... It's just your turn :)