What's new

CA- Top 25

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have to agree. The majority of the casual smokers that I wait on at the B&M (and even some of the regulars) only know RyJ, Montecristo, Macanudo or Rocky. Recommend to them an Illusione, Tatuaje or LFD, they have no clue what you're talking about. I'm sure they're bitching that Macanudo never seems to make the list and wonder why.
Although I hate it for the guys putting out the boutique stuff I do like the fact that it makes it easier for me to get the goooooood stuff. :cbig:

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I just remembered something...the Grand Reserva was NOT in last year's list, and CA said at the time it WAS eligible for this year, for some reason...

Is it possible that #1 will be the Cohiba Gran Reserva?

~brooks

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I just remembered something...the Grand Reserva was NOT in last year's list, and CA said at the time it WAS eligible for this year, for some reason...

Is it possible that #1 will be the Cohiba Gran Reserva?

~brooks
Being as it was given a perfect 100 it has to get first if it is in the running this year.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Being as it was given a perfect 100 it has to get first if it is in the running this year.
That's what I said above, though now I recall that the 100 points was a non-blind review. Also, you can't really buy them now. Also, the CA panel smokes several of each by the time they get to the top 10, and I'd be surprised if they scored that many boxes of them.

Still, if it's eligible that will get the nod I think.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
The Oro Reserva was a limited run of 200 boxes. Bad part about it is for most people reading the magazine they will never be able to find them. They were a standard limited run Viaje sold out I'm a couple of weeks if I remember correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's why CA doesn't usually review small batch stuff. Though in this case, I thought it was going to be a yearly release ...

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Gran Reservas were not and are still not hard to get, so I am sure they got as many as they needed to smoke. I personally do not think it will be the Gran Reserva.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
That's what I said above, though now I recall that the 100 points was a non-blind review. Also, you can't really buy them now. Also, the CA panel smokes several of each by the time they get to the top 10, and I'd be surprised if they scored that many boxes of them.

Still, if it's eligible that will get the nod I think.
I think you are right about the yearly release but that does not mean the blend or vitola will remain the same. No one that read this magazine will ever be able to find this cigar again.

If someone has an account at CA could you please go in and ask the editors on the forum how they could possibly do such a thing?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I think you are right about the yearly release but that does not mean the blend or vitola will remain the same. No one that read this magazine will ever be able to find this cigar again.

If someone has an account at CA could you please go in and ask the editors on the forum how they could possibly do such a thing?

Well, it depends upon WHAT they are doing. If they are intending to honestly tell people the best 25 cigars of the year, then why not include LEs/Regionals/Reservas/etc? If they are intending to encourage SALES of cigars, then they should exclude those.

To me, four of the best cigars of 2010 were LEs, possibly never to be seen again (Tat Pork Tenderloin, T-Rex, and LP T-52 Flying Pig, and EPC Short Run Populares).

I personally am in favor of multiple lists:
Top 10 Regular Production 2010
Top 10 Best Value Cigars 2010
Top 10 LE's of 2010
Top 10 New (Regular-production) Cigars of 2010
Top 10 Age-worthy Cigars of 2010
Top 10 Favorite Cigars Smoked in 2010

Of course, some cigars will make multiple listsl

Last edited:

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Well, it depends upon WHAT they are doing. If they are intending to honestly tell people the best 25 cigars of the year, then why not include LEs/Regionals/Reservas/etc? If they are intending to encourage SALES of cigars, then they should exclude those.

To me, four of the best cigars of 2010 were LEs, possibly never to be seen again (Tat Pork Tenderloin, T-Rex, and LP T-52 Flying Pig, and EPC Short Run Populares).

I personally am in favor of multiple lists:
Top 10 Regular Production 2010
Top 10 dollar-for-dollar cigars 2010
Top 10 LE's of 2010
Top 10 New regular-production cigars of 2010
Top 10 All-time

Of course, some cigars will make multiple listsl

I just think that being CA (which is really a shopping guide for non cigar-geeks) that it should have cigars that people car actually buy. If you have ever worked in a store you know that next week will be full of people that are shopping straight off the top 25 list. If 200 boxes is enough to make the list then their were a lot of Habanos that should have made the list. And really could have put vintage smokes on there as well as most will never find those either.
Posted via Mobile Device

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
^ oh I hear you, bro. And as far as Habanos, my understaning is that they only review cigars that were purchased in 2010 (i.e. fresh cigars). I've always figured that's why more Habanos don't make the list.

On that note, let's add another Top 10 list:
Top 10 Age-worthy Cigars of 2010

I think THAT would be very helpful to buyers of Habanos.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
njstone... that is a very good idea.

Seems to me BOTL could put that together right? There seems to be BOTLs that "specialize", so to speak, in these areas. BOTL could assign a top 10 to them (or a team) and then put together its own list.

Or is that thought too far out?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
^ not too far out .. I was thinking something similar. We could just post thread for each list, and someone who is statistically inclined could then compile the data and we could post the "Official BOTL Top 10 Lists."

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who cares what CA has to say? The list is a fraud and only exists to drive advertising to their publications. It's just not possible that the top 25 cigars each year include only 2-3 Cubans. The only reason any Cubans are included at all is a token attempt at legitimacy.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I don't know, man. I've had VERY few fresh Cubans that would make my Top 25 list of mine. Not trying to stick up for CA, they're losers, just sayin'.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

l

The thing is no top 25 list will make all people happy. Of the 4 cigars you listed above the only one I felt was even decent is the EPC. I found the 2 Tats and the flying pig horrible. That's my taste though and what I like you may hate. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

CA reviews all of the CC EL's and many RE's. Those that rate high enough are in contention. I'm still holding out hope the SLR Pacifico will take the #1 spot as I feel thats a fantastic cigar. The thing with the Tat EL's you mentioned is that they are released in limited runs for 1 store in extremely limited runs. While they maybe news to the small percentage of cigar geeks like us they aren't even a blip on the radar of the cigar smoking world. Which is probably why CA doesn't rate them.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
^ right, but they did review the Viaje Oro Reserva and it got #2. So it's just interesting that they reviewed that ultra-limited stick, but not others.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
^ right, but they did review the Viaje Oro Reserva and it got #2. So it's just interesting that they reviewed that ultra-limited stick, but not others.
That one was a national release though. They reviewed the Drac and Boris last year. 150 -200 boxes for 1 store in Boston isn't relevant or worthy of " National Cigar reporting" especially since the majority of smokers (not us but average joe) wouldn't realize they can and should call said shop in Boston to buy these. They'd figure oh it's for walk in locals. We are not the normal cigar smokers that CA is writing for. We know about cigars coming out before they are even rolled or the blend finalized. CA's audience mostly knows about what their local has in stock or the proprietor recommends. In order to take these ratings etc.for what they are which is a guide for smokers, instead of looking at it as a concrete this is the best cigar list guys like us need to take our passion and craziness out of it.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.