What's new

CCs: a primer

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Nice post. Thanks for the info.
As someone getting into this (just a little) I'm wondering about the aging process.
I get that it varies and there isn't a set answer, but in general how do you age long term? Higher/lower temps and RH? Or the same temp/RH as you smoke?
Also, what about tubos? In or out?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
As someone getting into this (just a little) I'm wondering about the aging process.
I get that it varies and there isn't a set answer, but in general how do you age long term? Higher/lower temps and RH? Or the same temp/RH as you smoke?
GREAT Questions! I’d like to know the answer(s) to this, too.

Additionally, I have a few extra tubos that I’ve kept around for whatever reason. Could I reuse those with CC’s that weren’t originally in Tubes to assist in the aging? Most still have the cedar insert inside. Thanks guys!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I would think upping the RH and temp (slightly) would help aging. Just thinking about it logically, cold and dry is usually the way to "preserve" something. And we're not trying to preserve them, right?

I think reusing the tubos would be fine, unless they were infused or something.
Do they make infused CCs?

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I do 69rh in aging coolers

65 rh in the singles drawers wineador

And I don’t put stuff in Tubos unless they came in Tubos. Stuff that comes in Tubos sits with the caps off

Curious to see what everyone else does as far as rh

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
GREAT Questions! I’d like to know the answer(s) to this, too.

Additionally, I have a few extra tubos that I’ve kept around for whatever reason. Could I reuse those with CC’s that weren’t originally in Tubes to assist in the aging? Most still have the cedar insert inside. Thanks guys!
I recently started an experiment on tubos. I have LRE 09 and MUR 13 Bolivar Tubos No1. They have a semi metallic taste that seems to be holding back their potential. I had one that had sat out of it's tube for awhile after traveling and it was not as bad. So in talking with some people for experienced than myself, I took their advice and have put them in a hermetically sealed food container with some cedar from empty boxes and a 72rh Boveda. Literally just did this so no reports yet, but maybe I'll post something when the time elapses and I have a conclusion. Pic attached for reference on setup. Bought food containers on Amazon for like $16. I store ALL my custom rolls in them with Bovedas as opposed to having them in my cabinets.

Tubos have been an enigma for me. I like the style, convenience, and ideal of aging in confined space. Unfortunately, the reality seems less attractive since it's higher price, more likely to inhibit mold, and now add this metallic taste to it. Especially Cohiba tubos that add 20% on cost in some cases. Coooooool factor...

@ApeSmokes your aging question is a loaded gun with answers that probably vary from person to person as you ask around. I've personally started using the food containers and have also upped the rh in my cabinets considerably after gathering info from more experienced people instead of trusting the dogma taught on most forums. I'm not going to say I have all the answers, but changing from 63% and slowly moving the needle to 70-72rh digital since I returned from Havana has led to a burn far superior to what I experienced before with less touchups, longer time between puffs without having to relight, and all around much more flavor. I also take cigars I plan to smoke and keep in a travel humi with 72rh Boveda and when possible let the humi sit in the sun to heat up for awhile before smoking. And if smoking an older stick or drier looking wrapper, I soak it with water prior to cutting/lighting to revitalize the wrapper. Love it.

As far as box aging, some people wrap with foil, others vac seal, some just put in humi as is. Some wait a few years for ammonia to escape, some say seal them right away, others don't.

I think I've learned the biggest key is to make sure you are going to age something good, because aged shit is still shit. Cigars are total ass now, maybe they'll be good in a decade? Then in a decade, maybe you didn't have them at the right rh? Oh wrapper won't burn for shit, probably need to drop your rh to 45% so that piece of leather burns? Perfect snakeoil disclaimer. Maybe they're just really shitty cigars with thick junk wrappers.

See above for what Cass has laid out....if you believe him that is.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
changing from 63% and slowly moving the needle to 70-72rh digital since I returned from Havana has led to a burn far superior to what I experienced before
This is very interesting. I've often wondered about how the old conventional wisdom of 70/70 could be so off.
It's almost universally laughed at now, but I wonder how much variability there is depending on the cigars (leaf, construction, etc), the smoking environment, and of course individual taste.
Might be more complicated than simply 65/65 or 70/70 etc.
**Edit**
To clarify, what I was trying to say in a ham-handed manner above, is perhaps 70/70 isn't/wasn't necessarily wrong. Depending on other factors perhaps it's as correct as 62, 65, or any of the more popular opinions that are en vogue now.
Pure speculation on my part. Just thinking through this a little.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I do 69rh in aging coolers

65 rh in the singles drawers wineador

And I don’t put stuff in Tubos unless they came in Tubos. Stuff that comes in Tubos sits with the caps off

Curious to see what everyone else does as far as rh
Thanks. Seems like a little higer RH would make sense for aging, but didn't want to assume.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
This is very interesting. I've often wondered about how the old conventional wisdom of 70/70 could be so off.
It's almost universally laughed at now, but I wonder how much variability there is depending on the cigars (leaf, construction, etc), the smoking environment, and of course individual taste.
Might be more complicated than simply 65/65 or 70/70 etc.
You mentioned logic in your comment earlier.

I can only speak to my experience with CCs since to me all other cigars are irrelevant. Cuba is widely considered 'a humidor' with people there not using humidification devices etc. One guy had found a bundle of Laguito #2 in his closet while I was there to share with us. His fucking closet, and it burned perfectly.

Well, back to logic, if Cuba is a humidor....how hot and how humid is it there? 65/65?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
You mentioned logic in your comment earlier.

I can only speak to my experience with CCs since to me all other cigars are irrelevant. Cuba is widely considered 'a humidor' with people there not using humidification devices etc. One guy had found a bundle of Laguito #2 in his closet while I was there to share with us. His fucking closet, and it burned perfectly.

Well, back to logic, if Cuba is a humidor....how hot and how humid is it there? 65/65?
Question was likely at least a little rhetorical, but it was 89°, 66% in Havana when I typed this.
Year round, humidity seems to average about 70-80% according to the web.

Very interesting.

But since I'm in Phoenix, I need to manipulate nature at least a little because I'm fairly certain 27% is low.
And we're in our wet season.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Question was likely at least a little rhetorical, but it was 89°, 66% in Havana when I typed this.
Year round, humidity seems to average about 70-80% according to the web.

Very interesting.

But since I'm in Phoenix, I need to manipulate nature at least a little because I'm fairly certain 27% is low.
And we're in our wet season.
Yes, Michigan winter will make things very interdasting as well. I need a Caribbean room in my house...

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I recently started an experiment on tubos. I have LRE 09 and MUR 13 Bolivar Tubos No1. They have a semi metallic taste that seems to be holding back their potential. I had one that had sat out of it's tube for awhile after traveling and it was not as bad. So in talking with some people for experienced than myself, I took their advice and have put them in a hermetically sealed food container with some cedar from empty boxes and a 72rh Boveda. Literally just did this so no reports yet, but maybe I'll post something when the time elapses and I have a conclusion. Pic attached for reference on setup. Bought food containers on Amazon for like $16. I store ALL my custom rolls in them with Bovedas as opposed to having them in my cabinets.

Tubos have been an enigma for me. I like the style, convenience, and ideal of aging in confined space. Unfortunately, the reality seems less attractive since it's higher price, more likely to inhibit mold, and now add this metallic taste to it. Especially Cohiba tubos that add 20% on cost in some cases. Coooooool factor...

@ApeSmokes your aging question is a loaded gun with answers that probably vary from person to person as you ask around. I've personally started using the food containers and have also upped the rh in my cabinets considerably after gathering info from more experienced people instead of trusting the dogma taught on most forums. I'm not going to say I have all the answers, but changing from 63% and slowly moving the needle to 70-72rh digital since I returned from Havana has led to a burn far superior to what I experienced before with less touchups, longer time between puffs without having to relight, and all around much more flavor. I also take cigars I plan to smoke and keep in a travel humi with 72rh Boveda and when possible let the humi sit in the sun to heat up for awhile before smoking. And if smoking an older stick or drier looking wrapper, I soak it with water prior to cutting/lighting to revitalize the wrapper. Love it.

As far as box aging, some people wrap with foil, others vac seal, some just put in humi as is. Some wait a few years for ammonia to escape, some say seal them right away, others don't.

I think I've learned the biggest key is to make sure you are going to age something good, because aged shit is still shit. Cigars are total ass now, maybe they'll be good in a decade? Then in a decade, maybe you didn't have them at the right rh? Oh wrapper won't burn for shit, probably need to drop your rh to 45% so that piece of leather burns? Perfect snakeoil disclaimer. Maybe they're just really shitty cigars with thick junk wrappers.

See above for what Cass has laid out....if you believe him that is.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Temperature and humidity are two of the most touchy subjects among collectors. But to me, it makes the most sense to try to reproduce the climate they are grown, fermented and produced in. Those conditions result in a higher temperature and a higher humidity then what is generally preached. Smoking cigars that have sat at a warm temperature (80+ F) makes the most sense to get the most flavor. Think of this way: while a cold slice of pizza is good, a hot slice of pizza is better and has more flavor (unless you have a hangover, then whatever.) Have you ever got a box of cigars delivered that sat on your porch all day in warm weather? The aroma is insane, way more potent then what they smell like at room temp. Since taste and smell are so closely related, it stands to reason that if cigars smell better at a higher temp, they’d taste better as well.

Last edited:

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I just love the idea that a dude pulled a box of cigars out of his closet. Like thats normal, lol. Cant do that in Illinois. Rh and temp swing hugely as anyone knows.
Not to mention they ended up being CCE from El Laguito rolled in 09-10....

Here is just a PSD4 burning horribly at higher rh
Nice and squishy

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Here is a psp2 at 62. They can burn great higher or lower. Plus side of higher is they burn slower i spose.View attachment 118395not one touch up on that bad boy for the whole smoke
Just to be clear, not saying they don't won't or can't burn fine at lower rh. I've had many sticks burn flawlessly while sitting at 63ish. I just find more consistent success at the higher rh and more intensity on the flavor side
And yes, slower burn naturally

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Just to be clear, not saying they don't won't or can't burn fine at lower rh. I've had many sticks burn flawlessly while sitting at 63ish. I just find more consistent success at the higher rh and more intensity on the flavor side
And yes, slower burn naturally
Somebody has been rebanding NCs with CC bands and selling them to you

:)