What's new

Cello: Yea or Nea?

Cello: Yea or Nea

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow I did not expect to be in minority here! I always take my cellos off. I figured the stats to be about half and half, but didnt expect to see such low numbers for always take them off.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I remove the cello too. Yea maybe I have to be extra careful with the cigars but they look nice naked and I love the aroma when I open my vino :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used to take the cellophane off when I first got into cigars because I liked the way it looked and it smelled great, too.

However, years of experience has convinced me it's much better on the cigar if the cellophane is left on. I'm not really trying to age the things - and if I can keep the singles from marrying their flavors, then all the better.

So - if it comes in cello - it stays in cello. I have enough singles that aren't covered and still get a great aroma when I lift the lid of the humidor.

Bengeman

Man of MANY VICES!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the cigar comes in cello, as it helps protect the cigar from cracking due to sudden temperature and moisture changes. That can happen when being shipped from one climate to the next.

Once I get the cigars home, I will normally unwrap the ones I plan on smoking within the next six months and let them normalize to my humidor. Unwrapping them also accelerates the aging process. You will be surprised how a cigar can change after allowing it to normalize in your humi...normally for the better!! :)

If you are going to keep a nice cigar for awhile, it won't hurt to leave it in the cello.

Since the cello is made from natural materials, it degrades or breaks down over time. You can normally use the condition of the cello as a gauge for whether or not a cigar is aged. If it is shiny and clear, that cigar more than likely is younger. If the cello is yellowing and starting to feel a little brittle, then normally you have an aged cigar on your hands.

Overall I like the cello for the protection of the cigar for the journey to your home. Once at your home if you have a properly calibrated humidor, it is no longer necessary to keep on the cigar.

Smoke On!

Ben

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Get em naked. The cello traps the amonia in there.
I smoked two 3 year old padron 2000, one aged with cello and one aged without this wknd. The 2000 aged without cello had much better flavor and tasted "aged." The 2000 with cello still tasted fresh out the box.

From now on I will take the cello off if I want my smokes to develop with age. If I want to preserve their characteristics I will leave the cello on.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some extra humidifies in my humi because the boveda packs were wearing out, well the cigars next to the humidifiers were so moist that mold grew on the cello, but not the cigar. So cello always stays on for me now.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I put some extra humidifies in my humi because the boveda packs were wearing out, well the cigars next to the humidifiers were so moist that mold grew on the cello, but not the cigar. So cello always stays on for me now.
sounds like more of an environmental issue in your humi than a cello issue. you do what you want with the cello, but either way, your humidification and humi need double checking.