What's new

Chicago HERF - Dec. 2, 2017

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Silly question, I don't go to a lot of lounges... Yet. What are other lounges policies on bringing your own cigars? Majority speaking, do they mostly have cutting fees for your own sticks? If so, how much? Do they mostly allow you to smoke your own w/o cutting fee and buy back what you smoke? Etc etc
i think the cutting fee is pretty standard across the board, and usually ranges from 5 to 10 bucks. i see signs for the cutting fee at every B&M. however, most appear to be cool with you smoking your own, as long as you buy back what you smoke. appear, being the operative word. im not sure if they really care or not, or if they are just too lazy or maybe scared to enforce (due to loss of future business). like i said before, in this thread is the only time that ive seen that someone was actually threatening to enforce it.
fwiw - at Havana Joes (mt prospect) and Humidor (westmont) - i have smoked my own, and the worker bees there have asked how the "xyz" cigar i bought was. i said at both places that im smoking my own and the one i bought i will be bringing home. they didnt seem to mind. the small caveat to this is... they were just worker bees, not owners or managers, who might have a different reaction.

i have never been charged a cutting fee, ever.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i think the cutting fee is pretty standard across the board, and usually ranges from 5 to 10 bucks. i see signs for the cutting fee at every B&M. however, most appear to be cool with you smoking your own, as long as you buy back what you smoke. appear, being the operative word. im not sure if they really care or not, or if they are just too lazy or maybe scared to enforce (due to loss of future business). like i said before, in this thread is the only time that ive seen that someone was actually threatening to enforce it.
fwiw - at Havana Joes (mt prospect) and Humidor (westmont) - i have smoked my own, and the worker bees there have asked how the "xyz" cigar i bought was. i said at both places that im smoking my own and the one i bought i will be bringing home. they didnt seem to mind. the small caveat to this is... they were just worker bees, not owners or managers, who might have a different reaction.

i have never been charged a cutting fee, ever.
Same here - I've seen the signs in almost every B&M I am in but never have I been charged. In addition to what Chaz is saying, I suspect that, by having the sign, they are putting themselves into the position of charging it if they need/want to. In this thread we keep talking about buying back what you smoke as a one-to-one thing because we all typically have bought cigars equivalent in quality and price to what we brought to smoke. If someone goes in and buys a $3 Acid (don't know why they'd spend that much on one but...) and then breaks out an Aged Opus X, I could see the B& getting miffed.

Although I'm disappointed with their insistence on charging the cutting fee, I am still going in with an open mind because:
  • They are new owners and they don't know us. We say that we're going to buyback what we smoke but until we establish a relationship with them, they're probably right to be suspicious.
  • This is a social gathering where I get to see a bunch of brothers I've not seen in a while and meet a bunch of the new guys. Would I go to a bar and spend the same amount on booze? Likely, so monetarily it's a wash for me
  • @cyn06 has done a fantastic job putting this thing together (thank you, brother) and I don't want him to start doubting all the effort he's put into this.

See all you motherfuckers on Saturday!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the appreciation! I very well know that I'm new to this sort of thing, but I love a challenge and I love planning things. I hope it works out and we can keep rocking these herfs in Chicago. If this location doesn't work out, on to the next one! I'm also going in with an open mind for all the reasons you mentioned, but also because this is only what Jason said. If we build a nice relationship on Saturday and speak to Mike himself (owner I believe), things might change for the better! Either way, I'm just excited to meet all you guys and start building some new friendships

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
the question is... is the difference (increase) in price worth the difference in smoking experience to you?
by "difference in smoking experience", i mean the experience in smoking something directly out of their humi vs something out of your personal humi...
For me, absolutely. I don't look to hard at the $10 each as the cost of my own cigars, because they may have been paid for a year ago, or ten years ago. Still cost me the hypothetical $30 but that money is looong gone.

I'll likely both buy cigars and offer them the cutting fee next time I'm there and hope they'll come to see the lgic in our point of view. If not, that's cool, I may not go there as often, but I won't write them off either.

That being said.... (Rob, get your dart gun out)....my new GF surprised me with Hawks tickets (she didn't remember about Saturday), so I am again in the "hope to make the next one" category. Jim, thank you for all the work you've put into tis, I will be happy to meet you there some afternoon or evening you are free rather than wait until the next bigger one...which I will (again) try to make as well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, absolutely. I don't look to hard at the $10 each as the cost of my own cigars, because they may have been paid for a year ago, or ten years ago. Still cost me the hypothetical $30 but that money is looong gone.

I'll likely both buy cigars and offer them the cutting fee next time I'm there and hope they'll come to see the lgic in our point of view. If not, that's cool, I may not go there as often, but I won't write them off either.

That being said.... (Rob, get your dart gun out)....my new GF surprised me with Hawks tickets (she didn't remember about Saturday), so I am again in the "hope to make the next one" category. Jim, thank you for all the work you've put into tis, I will be happy to meet you there some afternoon or evening you are free rather than wait until the next bigger one...which I will (again) try to make as well.
Did you forget to add the part about taking me to the hawks game with you?? Or...

That's awesome though, have a great time! Well definitely have to meet up before the next herf especially since I think we're both close to the lounge. We'll work it out for sure!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Silly question, I don't go to a lot of lounges... Yet. What are other lounges policies on bringing your own cigars? Majority speaking, do they mostly have cutting fees for your own sticks? If so, how much? Do they mostly allow you to smoke your own w/o cutting fee and buy back what you smoke? Etc etc
My experience is the opposite of others here. I have been going to B&Ms for cigars regularly since the late 90s and have never seen a sign or any other indication of a fee for smoking your own cigars. Obviously etiquette dictates that you buy cigars when you go to a shop, period. If you happen to hang out for a while and smoke, are you telling me someone is going around policing everyone's cigar to make sure it was just purchased? IMHO THAT'S STUPID and rude! Not one of the shops that I go to in my area give a rat's ass what you're smoking in their lounge, nor would they be rude enough to check, except apparently The Cigar Lounge? Honestly I've never paid any attention to this "rule" whether it actually exists at a shop or not. :mad::cigar:

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Did you forget to add the part about taking me to the hawks game with you?? Or...

That's awesome though, have a great time! Well definitely have to meet up before the next herf especially since I think we're both close to the lounge. We'll work it out for sure!
We all knew you didn't really exist.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hoping there is some leniency here. . The whole other can of worms is if they r gonna charge me for smoking a pipe too. .
I fully plan on spending some money there, but I hope that's enough to appease them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
39   0   0

i get what you are saying... the money is gone.. but technically, until that cigar is smoked, it is still counted as an asset, as it still has monetary value. even if they were bombed to you, they were paid for somehow, somewhere.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0

also... the Stars were in Chicago last night. the game this Saturday has the Blackhawks playing in Dallas. so, unless the game tickets came with airline tickets, we will see you saturday!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 pm arrival! I'm shooting for 6:30 myself to make sure it's all set up for us. Feel free to come anytime after that. I'm Jim btw, not sure if y'all remember my intro post. Cya brothers there!!