What's new

Cigar Aficionado good mag?

What is your deal with Cigar Aficionado?

• I subscribe and love it!

Votes: 56 19.6%
  • I subscribe and read the articles only

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • I subscribe and read reviews only

Votes: 30 10.5%
  • Don't subscribe, buy news stand instead

Votes: 49 17.2%
  • Don't subscribe, don't read

Votes: 127 44.6%

• Total voters
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather trust the reviews out of SMOKE or Cigar Press. While these mags are not a huge hit the reviews I feel are better and more to my palatte.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had 1-year subscription. Found it to be 'ok' to read in spare of time. Is it cigar bible, far from it. Lots of bling, bling ! My subscription ran out and they automatically processed renewal and charged my card. Shady move !

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I keep it in the bathroom but I really dont like the size of the magazine. Its hard to read it on the crapper. They dont have enough cigar content for me. I like Cigar Snob and Cigar Press.

When my free subscription runs out, I will not renew it.

Last edited:

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
CA makes sense in the scope of a broader magazine subscription base. I get the WSJ, Bicycling, Mountain Bike Action, and the Economist - so the random articles help break up my normal periodical reading routine. For cigar information, I find word of mouth/forums/etc. to be as useful if not more-so.

The writing isn't particularly strong, and the editing can be a bit weak (they butchered the scotch article in the last issue, which is sad because it is one of my favorite hobbies), but generally they get some information across.

It is a bit golf heavy. I like golf as a value sport... lots of strokes per dollar spent... but I don't play a lot and don't follow the tour.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Just got my first issue today and was I shocked to see that the Ambos Mundos (I think Robusto, the mag is at work) was rated as the number one Robusto this issue. Also great articles on Drew Estates, Jim Belushi and fantasy football. So far so good.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read it in a long time. I subscribed years ago during their first couple years and I remember picking up the first volume on the news stand.

I doubt it like it now but I still think about a black and white pictorial with the beautiful woman with long blond hair smoking a cigar in a claw foot tub. I think that was from one of their first couple issues and certainly caught my eye.

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I got a year subscription last year for Christmas... It ran out last month and not going to renew it. I like reading some of the articles, but the $5000 watches aggrevate me.

Thats why i'm going to get a Cigarsnob subscription.

Kidrock

Smoking 50RG Less W/Farai
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
ill pass on CA. It is for those A-Holes who want to buy Gurkha cigars for 250,000. I also will never in my life time be able to afford a Ferrari, Bently, or Trips to Scottland to play golf.

This is not a personal attack on the readers just my thoughts. Oh and I love how they gave Shakin cigar of the year last year. LOL

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
ill pass on CA. It is for those A-Holes who want to buy Gurkha cigars for 250,000. I also will never in my life time be able to afford a Ferrari, Bently, or Trips to Scottland to play golf.

This is not a personal attack on the readers just my thoughts. Oh and I love how they gave Shakin cigar of the year last year. LOL
What is wrong with playing golf in Scottsdale?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The latest issue is pretty good, has a great review on the top 25 sticks of 2010. Also a nice section on quality budget smokes. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I like the mag, I'm in the mag/publishing business so it's always nice to see a well-done mag (layout, photos, content, etc.). I just subscribed and got my first issue (Dec) and have read it cover to cover and LOVED it. I really enjoyed ALL the articles (with the exception of the basketball one, scanned the pix and moved on) with the Scotch and Belushi articles being my favorites. I look at it this way - if a magazine provides info and entertainment and draws me in, I'm going to read it. Do I read it for the reviews? Nope, but I do look at them.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don't subscribe but pick up a copy when flying. I enjoy the lifestyle articles. Looking forward to the February interview with Paul Giamatti.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I won a subscription in a contest on another board. I doubt that I'd pay for a subscription, but it's not a bad mag if you take their reviews with several grains of salt.

Last issue they had an article about some reporter babe, and there was a picture of her with a cigar so obviously airbrushed in that it was laughable. I called them out on it, and Mottola said that it was some kind of gargantuan 8x54 thing or something. LOL. All the skinny cigar smoking babes that I know go for those Flor de Oliva Giants.