What's new

Cigar Aficionado Top 25 2014

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Need some? Lol

My hatred for this place grows as time goes on. They could be great but they insist on over charging since they're one of the few games in town, especially for people who drink.

Their last price increase was egregious. Rounded up to the next quarter(ie 7.16 becomes 7.25) THEN added 10% on every stick...

Business is business. Just sucks for the consumer when supply and demand is like that. My local is one of few in the area but they try to keep prices lower. Do you shop there often Chef?

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Business is business. Just sucks for the consumer when supply and demand is like that. My local is one of few in the area but they try to keep prices lower. Do you shop there often Chef?
I used to. Then that price increase came and they claimed it was industry wide but only price hike I saw was them.

They have a ridiculous sized humi and three stores but $17+ ligas for example is nuts, especially knowing they do a ton of volume.

I'll go there to hang now and then but only buy 1.

Reactions: ENV

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I think you have to take any "top x" list with a grain of salt. Whether it be Cigars, beers, cars, watches... whatever. The funny thing is how revved up people get here for a magazine they never agree with anyway. Most here have probably never even smoked the Rocky Patel Royale, but yet are outraged it beat out Padron, Opus, etc... Not saying it's any better, but blindly smoke 700+ cigars and let's see what your list looks like. Again, I am not justifying any list, just always get a kick out of the "list outrage" we see every year. Any time people are talking about Cigars it's a good thing IMO.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
50$ a box? that was a steal, wonder what site you used, since the archive for cbid doesn't go much below 100$ which i got em for. (and i thought that was a steal) these lists are a good laugh, nothing more, nothing less to me. although last years did have "some" i really enjoyed, gotta be honest here. but once i read the "1 inch" theory and subsequent defense from CA themselves, i can't expect this list to be credible in any form. that's like rating a movie by the first 10 minutes, or a song by it's intro, or a burger by that first bite that gives you mostly bread. lol

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Need some? Lol

My hatred for this place grows as time goes on. They could be great but they insist on over charging since they're one of the few games in town, especially for people who drink.

Their last price increase was egregious. Rounded up to the next quarter(ie 7.16 becomes 7.25) THEN added 10% on every stick...
Egregious huh I see that word of the day app is paying dividends

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I say subscribe to the philosophy "smoke what you like". I know I've been in the lounge and seen guys thoroughly enjoying stuff I didn't and I have some cheapies I dig. Lists like these just give posers info to stand on when they are in the midst of true enthusiasts and try not to look like noobs lol.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I say subscribe to the philosophy "smoke what you like". I know I've been in the lounge and seen guys thoroughly enjoying stuff I didn't and I have some cheapies I dig. Lists like these just give posers info to stand on when they are in the midst of true enthusiasts and try not to look like noobs lol.
The best are the ones that come in and want those Cubans on the list they "know you have in the back room".

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man that's so true lol. Like someone else said too, this will jack up prices on all these cigars. Would love to see a stat on how much the demand/price goes up after this list comes out. Smoke what you like for sure.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
directly from the CA site:

http://top25.cigaraficionado.com/

"One entire year of taste tests. Hundreds of cigars turned to ash. Round after round of smoking cigars blind. Through the considerable haze of smoke we finally can see the winners emerge: Cigar Aficionado has chosen the Top 25 Cigars of 2014.
We smoked 737 cigars to get to the 25 that made this list, and the process was a thorough one. As the year drew to a close, we reviewed the list of cigars that had scored at least 91 points in Cigar Aficionado or Cigar Insider blind taste tests throughout the past year. We culled that list, eliminating any that were no longer on the market and considering only the highest-scoring cigars from each brand. A special round of smoking ensued, and our tasting coordinator purchased the cigars at retail, removed all of their identifying bands and replaced them with numbered labels to conceal their identity. These were passed out to the tasting panel at Cigar Aficionado magazine.
At the conclusion of that taste test, there were seven cigars that rated high enough to be considered candidates for Cigar of the Year. Our tasting coordinator once again stripped those cigars of their identifying bands, created a new code, and redistributed them for another blind taste test. After that, two cigars stood out above all others. One more blind test was conducted, and a winner finally emerged.
The Top 25 list is our most exhaustive test of cigars that we conduct. To make the list requires excellence on not one, but many occasions. The final list contains a wide range of styles, prices and shapes, and each is worthy of a home in your humidor, and a spot on the corner of your favorite ashtray."

I doubt I will ever have the same list of cigars as they do, but I'm ok with that :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised the padron is not 1 or 2...

I bet there will be a Cohiba or Monte in the top 5, some BS cheap crap that no one likes in the top 5, maybe another padron, and some DE cigar that the fanboys love.
PAdron always finishes in the top 10 at least