What's new

Cigar Aficionado Top 25 for 2011

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Have you had the Black Market? I don't mind some of their stuff and I think the Black Market is probably on of the better ones I've had from them.
I had the pre-release of the Black Market. I did not like it. Was very bitter.

My favorite Alec Bradley is still the AB Sungrown which is a famous exclusive.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Really the main issue here is this:

Is this really a blind taste test.
The answer - No.
They know the field of 60 or so cigars they are smoking.
Stack them up side by side, even unbanded, and they can probably guess accurately I would guess 75-90 % of them fairly accurately, based on size, color, RG & cap type.
Then add in aroma and that % probably increases.

So is it blind - no.

If it were blind they would have to smoke a field of 60 or so cigars without knowing ahead of time what those 60 cigar are and really without seeing them, but thats fairly difficult!

You really think that you could pick out which stick is which from an unbanded pile of 60? That's impressive! I'd be shocked if I could do it from a 5 pack.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have to agree here. While it could have been done many different ways better most of what jayro has said has been right. We are heavily biased here as to what we like and as such think that others should agree with our choices. I have long ago accepted that I am rarely right on these things as many times I don't like a lot of the popular things here. Haven't had a liga I really enjoyed, don't like the new big power trend Pete has been on with BRex and tenderloin and while I do like illusione I really only smoke mk's. I know many people agree that solo VI could have easily won and no one would have complained but really I don't like em. Not even the gran reserva even though I bought a box. I still like watching the list just to see where I lie next to their choices and it really only is their choices.

Btw last night tried an 08 trini robusto extra that I know many love and I still don't care that thy are discontinuing it. The entire list could have been made up with cigars I don't like and I still would have been interests to see the results.

Am I a big fan of CA not really tho I do look through most issues and as a cigar smoker they do help mainstream us a little which I don't mind. Anything that portrays us in a good light to non smokers is a good thing. I hope they continue to do well and sell tons of magazines and put out their top 25 for another 25 years as that will mean the cigar industry is still in good shape.

Not sure why we all get so excited about someone else's choices. Botl top 10 would be way different then cbid or friends of habanos would but that is how it is supposed to be.
See this was my point all along. We all have individual tastes. Just because alot of guys like Ligas or Tats etc. doesn't mean that everyone does. I've had one Liga that i enjoyed and it was the L40 to my palate it was the only one that didn't taste like dirt. Maybe I'm a heathen who knows but thats just what I taste. Tats well their the reason I started smoking cigars but as Gibbleguts posted I'm not a fan of the power trend Pete has going lately. Those are my tastes yet I seem to agree with you on the Sig VI as well.:)

Bottom line this is a list of their findings based on their criteria. I just couldn't understand why everyone was so pissed at them. Seriously maybe the Prensado is a good smoke... I'd try one. Maybe I'd love it maybe not but I wouldn't get pissed about it. I've smoked $4 cigars I've loved and $100 cigars I've thought were crap. That's how it goes.

Don't see myself lighting up a Warlock anytime soon though.:stretchgr

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I've had one Liga that i enjoyed and it was the L40 to my palate it was the only one that didn't taste like dirt. Maybe I'm a heathen
You must be if you don't like Liga but that's cool: more for me.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I think this is what you're looking for... if not let me know and I'll see if I can dig something else up.

CIGAR INSIDER’S TOP SCORES OF THE YEAR
94 - Aging Room Small Batch M356 Presto, Dom. Rep.
94 - Cohiba 1966 Edición Limitada 2011, Cuba
94 - La Reloba Selección Sumatra Torpedo, Nicaragua
93 - Diamond Crown Julius Caeser Pyramid, Dom. Rep.
93 - H. Upmann Royal Robusto, Cuba
93 - Illusione Epernay Le Taureau, Honduras
93 - Padrón Serie 1926 No. 9 Maduro, Nicaragua
93 - Partagás Serie E No. 2, Cuba
92 - Alec Bradley Vice Press 6T4, Honduras
92 - Casa Fernandez Miami Toro, U.S.A.
92 - H. Upmann No. 2, Cuba
92 - La Reloba Selección Sumatra Robusto, Nicaragua
92 - Montecristo No. 2, Cuba
92 - Padilla Dominus Double Robusto, Honduras
92 - Partagás Salomon, Cuba
92 - Partagás Serie P No. 1, Cuba
92 - Ramon Allones Especiales Exclusivo Suiza, Cuba
92 - Savinelli Dos Campeones Sixto Trabajador, Nicaragua
92 - Trinidad Fundador, Cuba
91 - 601 La Bomba Nuclear, Nicaragua
91 - Aging Room Small Batch M356 Rondo, Dom. Rep.
91 - Alec Bradley New York Empire Toro, Honduras
91 - Berger & Argenti Entubar Quad Torpedo Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Cohiba Esplendido, Cuba
91 - Cohiba Robusto, Cuba
91 - Cuaba Salomon, Cuba
91 - Don Diego Fuerte By Omar Ortez Belicoso, Nicaragua
91 - E.P. Carrillo New Wave Connecticut Stellas, Dom. Rep.
91 - Four Kicks Corona Gorda, Dom. Rep.
91 - Hoyo de Monterrey Short Hoyo Pirámides EL 2011, Cuba
91 - Illusione Epernay L’Alpiniste, Honduras
91 - Illusione Epernay La Vie, Honduras
91 - Master By Carlos Toraño Robusto, Nicaragua
91 - Montecristo 75th Aniversario No. 4, Dom. Rep.
91 - Padilla Dominus Torpedo, Honduras
91 - Padilla Miami 8&11 Robusto, U.S.A.
91 - Padrón Family Reserve No. 85 Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Padrón Serie 1926 40th Anniversary Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Padrón Serie 1926 No. 2 Belicoso Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Padrón Serie 1926 No. 6 Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Punch Punch, Cuba
91 - Quesada Selección España Short Robusto, Dom. Rep.
91 - San Cristobal Elegancia Robusto, Nicaragua
91 - San Cristobal Elegancia Pyramid, Nicaragua
91 - Ramon Allones Allones Extra Edición Limitada 2011, Cuba
91 - Romeo y Julieta Churchill, Cuba
91 - Romeo y Julieta Exhibición No. 4, Cuba
91 - Warlock Robusto, Nicaragua

Source: Cigar Insider, December 20, 2011, Vol. 16, No. 24
Am I missing something here? Hint no Tats:scratchhe

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You really think that you could pick out which stick is which from an unbanded pile of 60? That's impressive! I'd be shocked if I could do it from a 5 pack.
These guys smoke cigars all day and do this for a living. I can't imagine they don't know a padron 64 or 26 when they see one.

I agree with your overall point about everything else, but I don't think CA's taste test is truly blind.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I agree with both Jayro and Aaron.
Likewise here. If you don't like what he says just ignore him. Kinda like I ignore all the shit that is spewed about Andre. I like most of his cigars. The funny thing is I actually was at ICPCR back in '08 and tried to talk to the Tatuaje booth. They would not even acknowledge us and we ended up walking out of the booth. We vowed to never purchase Tat's for the shop. This was our decision and we had that right.

Well, fast forward to 2011 and I start purchasing some fivers off you fine folks. Guess what. I fricken' love Tat's and the shop is going to start carrying them. I had a Face I got off a BOTL member last night and could not believe I have been as stubborn as I have been.

I still don't care for Pete, but I am not going to deprive myself from smoking some great shit. JD and Andre are both very easy to talk to. I spoke with both of them last year at IPCPR and they were very polite and cordial.

Haters are gonna hate, I just want to love what I do. And I have the right to keep it quite or sing it proud.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Do I think I could, no!

But I know a few folks here that could!
Especially if:
They had a list of what was in the group
And
They had smoked that cigar in the last year.

And if it was my full time job!
Yeah I'd be able to nail 50/60 on sight, smell & size!
Especially since I would know the entire pool of 60 and I had smoked them all within the calendar year!:riflefire

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Lets not fool ourselves here, they know what the 60 are. At the end of the day CA is a business and it will be run like one. Its not a big deal though, CA keeps making money, Alec Bradley gets a massive bump in Prensado sales, and the cigar world keeps spinning. Cigar Geeks make up a very small portion of the consumers so its not a big surprise that stuff we love doesnt always make the top 10.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Likewise here. If you don't like what he says just ignore him. Kinda like I ignore all the shit that is spewed about Andre. I like most of his cigars. The funny thing is I actually was at ICPCR back in '08 and tried to talk to the Tatuaje booth. They would not even acknowledge us and we ended up walking out of the booth. We vowed to never purchase Tat's for the shop. This was our decision and we had that right.

Well, fast forward to 2011 and I start purchasing some fivers off you fine folks. Guess what. I fricken' love Tat's and the shop is going to start carrying them. I had a Face I got off a BOTL member last night and could not believe I have been as stubborn as I have been.

I still don't care for Pete, but I am not going to deprive myself from smoking some great shit. JD and Andre are both very easy to talk to. I spoke with both of them last year at IPCPR and they were very polite and cordial.

Haters are gonna hate, I just want to love what I do. And I have the right to keep it quite or sing it proud.
I met all 3 at IPCPR in 09 and I am not sure if Pete was friendly because of my connection here or what but he was great. JD I think is going to be a great guy to everyone and is hard to dislike. Andre was friendly and well spoken but almost too much so for me, kinda gave me the used car salesman feel or maybe boiler room? That said that was my take on him and other then saying your personal experiences with some one don't really agree with the trashing that some makers get.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Lets not fool ourselves here, they know what the 60 are. At the end of the day CA is a business and it will be run like one. Its not a big deal though, CA keeps making money, Alec Bradley gets a massive bump in Prensado sales, and the cigar world keeps spinning. Cigar Geeks make up a very small portion of the consumers so its not a big surprise that stuff we love doesnt always make the top 10.
Well said.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X 2 i totally believe it is all about who spend more,,