What's new

Cigar Aficionado Top 25 for 2011

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Lets not fool ourselves here, they know what the 60 are. At the end of the day CA is a business and it will be run like one. Its not a big deal though, CA keeps making money, Alec Bradley gets a massive bump in Prensado sales, and the cigar world keeps spinning. Cigar Geeks make up a very small portion of the consumers so its not a big surprise that stuff we love doesnt always make the top 10.
Not really wading in on the dynamics of the list... I tend to maybe disagree with the statement above in bold!

If it wasn't for the crazy cigar geeks on this site alone... all of these limited sticks would still be on the shelves.. I could walk in to my B&M and find The Monsters from all years. I do agree that the general public does seem to drive some of the craze (like the 60 ring guage garbage) however I do not think that Joe consumer is as big as we think it is. Just my two pesos...

Just look at the recent purchases threads.....

Runs and hides....

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
I agree with both Dread and Tadd on the subject. It is first and foremost a for profit business. Not only for CA but for the Cigar Mfg's. I do think that the general public drives certain dynamics like size and shape (like the big ring gauges) but I also think that smaller niche groups of cigars smokers also play a very large role in the general direction. All of the LE's that come out get snapped up in a flash and then the Mfg's can sit back and get paid to hear what we (the more than occasional smoker) think of the cigar and that inevitably drives everything one way or another. Just my opinion but it seems that both CA and the cigar mfg's have found something that allows their business to run profitably and that is all that matters at the end of the day. So for my .02 I dont agree with much of the CA list and if you asked 100 cigar smokers to submit one you would have a 100 different lists and we would more than likely disagree about those as well. I love reading everybodys opinion about it though. Not sure anybody is either right or wrong in this one just opinionated.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Not really wading in on the dynamics of the list... I tend to maybe disagree with the statement above in bold!

If it wasn't for the crazy cigar geeks on this site alone... all of these limited sticks would still be on the shelves.. I could walk in to my B&M and find The Monsters from all years. I do agree that the general public does seem to drive some of the craze (like the 60 ring guage garbage) however I do not think that Joe consumer is as big as we think it is. Just my two pesos...

Just look at the recent purchases threads.....

Runs and hides....
Working in a cigar shop for a year and a half I met 1 guy who was on a cigar forum. The "cigar geeks" do make up a very small percentage of the cigar buying population. I have seen numerous guys in the last few days asking for the cigars on the list and not one complaining about the list, I come here to get my fill of whining about a magazines list.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Craig is right, we make up a very small percentage of the cigar smoking population. But we make up a very large percentage of the cigar smoking population complaining about the list. :nodlaugh:

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Craig is right, we make up a very small percentage of the cigar smoking population. But we make up a very large percentage of the cigar smoking population complaining about the list. :nodlaugh:
True :)

I also think that while the smokers on the boards make a (almost miniscule) percentage of overall smokers, we (as a group) probably have the largest buying power...Most smokers on the boards buy often, smoke often, buy different sticks, are willing to try new things, and spend more money then the "average joe" who smokes once a week or month...

~brooks

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
we (as a group) probably have the largest buying power..\

~brooks
Not correct, and it's just simple mathematics. Otherwise, how would Macanudo be the largest selling cigar every year? No one on any cigar forum is buying them.

We are a small percentage....of opinion and of buying power.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Not correct, and it's just simple mathematics. Otherwise, how would Macanudo be the largest selling cigar every year? No one on any cigar forum is buying them.

We are a small percentage....of opinion and of buying power.
Sorry, what I meant was that since we are a specific concentrated group (forum/online smokers) we can have a larger influence on what is produced (in some cases), versus random joe off the street...(Buying power not the correct term, I think now)...

There are other factors to consider...Macanudos are not as expensive as your reg LE/higher end cigars, and people who know nothing about cigars will (usually) gravitate towards the cheapest option that gives them what they think they want...

Hmmm...not sure I am getting my point across, I will try again in a sec :)

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Starts tomorrow and is always good for debate.
Tuesday, January 3: Cigars No. 10, 9 and 8
Wednesday, January 4: Cigars No. 7, 6 and 5
Thursday, January 5: Cigars No. 4, 3 and 2
Friday, January 6: Cigar of the Year
Monday, January 9: Remainder of the Top 25
We forgot one more date:
Tuesday, January 10: Best Bargain Cigars of 2011

Maybe someone mentioned this already...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry, what I meant was that since we are a specific concentrated group (forum/online smokers) we can have a larger influence on what is produced (in some cases), versus random joe off the street...(Buying power not the correct term, I think now)...

There are other factors to consider...Macanudos are not as expensive as your reg LE/higher end cigars, and people who know nothing about cigars will (usually) gravitate towards the cheapest option that gives them what they think they want...

Hmmm...not sure I am getting my point across, I will try again in a sec :)

You couldn't be more wrong. Just because a guy isn't on the boards doesn't mean he doesn't know a out cigars. Not to mention I know of guys who buy 5 boxes a week in the local B&m and I'm talking aboUt with NY taxes and all of Padrons. I'm not sure you really understand how many people who have mad cash just like to smoke and will pay whatever for the stuff they know is good because they are smokers.

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
That must be why all the manufacturers are on these boards with us because we don't have any influence LOL J/K Seriously I think we have tons of influence.

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
How many of these guys have the contact we do with the heads of these companies? We are a minority but have a ton of influence we know the manufactures. Example if MU asked fuente to make an opus a certain size we all know they would! :stretchgr

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
You couldn't be more wrong. Just because a guy isn't on the boards doesn't mean he doesn't know a out cigars. Not to mention I know of guys who buy 5 boxes a week in the local B&m and I'm talking aboUt with NY taxes and all of Padrons. I'm not sure you really understand how many people who have mad cash just like to smoke and will pay whatever for the stuff they know is good because they are smokers.
You and Brooks are both right. This is why marketing cigars is such a tough nut. "WE," the hardcore nearly psychotic cigar superfans, are one market. The rich guys you're talking about are another (I'd guess smaller than us). The casual smokers are a market, and the "buy stuff regularly from my B&M" crowd is another market. Those last two are very influenceable by marketing and advertising, and I'd say we all are influenced by word of mouth--but WE moreso because we are talking more.

When a B&M can put up little signs by the cigars saying Top 25 Cigars of 2011, that translates directly into sales because a lot of guys will buy at least a couple to try, yes maybe even the casual smokers who always buy the same thing. I've seen this over and over at shops. And of course we all know that a great many buyers who do NOT spend hours a day on the Internet talking about cigars still want to smoke something good ... So they ask they guy at the shop for recommendations! Pointing them to the Top 25 is often a first stop.

The List = big sales.

It matters a lot to manufacturers, and matter to retailers as well. What's unfortunate is that all this power is in the hands of arrogant pricks who don't take the task seriously (1 inch of a cigar tells you very little when comparing good cigars, sorry).