What's new

Cigar Aficionado Top 25 for 2011

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
CA is a joke to all the BOTL that I personally know. I think their list is based off of advertising dollars so they can go out and buy those $50k watches they always talk about and stay in one of those $5k a night resorts as well. I get CA for free or I would not read it at all. I do enjoy some of the cigar coverage but the ratings are a joke.

I admit I have not smoked everything on that list but with all the great cigars that came out this year I am dumbfounded. I personally like Alec Bradley Prensado but that size as #1? Not sure I agree with that.

Now there will be a mad dash to buy all of these up.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You've gotta be kidding... From your posts, my impression is that you're probably the singlemost contrary, hatin'-est personality on this board.

So you're aware in advance, I'm not gonna feed you beyond pointing out the irony/hypocrisy above. So, go ahead and throw up a perfunctory comment in response (I realize that you couldn't stop yourself if you wanted to), then crawl back under your bridge. :pokemyeye
Thanks for answering why people hate CAs list. I'm contrary because I don't get the blind following that goes on here sometimes and in those situations a contrary opinion is needed. It seems it's ok to say Andre sucks dick for ratings but if I sy Pete does alot of guiys get up in arms. Why? Things like that don't jive and I don't blindly follow the mob. You want to know why I dislike the brands I've stated I do all you need to do is ask. Hell start a thread about it for all I care. I'd gladly explain.

As for calling me a troll that's laughable considering the years I have across numerous boards and the many many brothers across them I know. Good try.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks for answering why people hate CAs list. I'm contrary because I don't get the blind following that goes on here sometimes and in those situations a contrary opinion is needed. It seems it's ok to say Andre sucks dick for ratings but if I sy Pete does alot of guiys get up in arms. Why? Things like that don't jive and I don't blindly follow the mob. You want to know why I dislike the brands I've stated I do all you need to do is ask. Hell start a thread about it for all I care. I'd gladly explain.
I'm pretty sure I asked you earlier in this thread what you would consider to be your top 10 of 2011 and it was entirely ignored. That doesn't come across to me as a willingness to be forthcoming with information.

How about you try and contribute to the thread in a productive manner instead of trying to piss off a bunch of people?

As for calling me a troll that's laughable considering the years I have across numerous boards and the many many brothers across them I know. Good try.
Being a troll has zero to do with who you know and who you're associated with. Being a troll is about posting inflammatory remarks looking to incite an argumentative response. I'm sure with all your years on internet forums, you know that and know it's what you're doing here.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
CA is a joke to all the BOTL that I personally know. I think their list is based off of advertising dollars so they can go out and buy those $50k watches they always talk about and stay in one of those $5k a night resorts as well. I get CA for free or I would not read it at all. I do enjoy some of the cigar coverage but the ratings are a joke.

I admit I have not smoked everything on that list but with all the great cigars that came out this year I am dumbfounded. I personally like Alec Bradley Prensado but that size as #1? Not sure I agree with that.

Now there will be a mad dash to buy all of these up.
So you dislike them because you perceive them to have expensive watches and go on expensive vacations. Fair enough but do you know they do this or just think they do?

Again I throw it out there to everyone how many of you guys have actually smoked a bunch of sticks blind and rated them? There's so many examples of guys doing this and being totally baffled by what they rated highly versus what they rated poorly. I'm just saying.

Are all the cigars on the CA list things I would choose? No but the list is their opinion and nothing more. If they were telling us this is the best cigar period that's one thing but they are saying according to their criteria this cigar came out on top in their opinion.

The uproar over this list always centers around guys calling them idiots, saying they sell ratings,or smoke an inch of the cigar. It's like they personally offended people by having a ratings system that works for them and based on that putting out a list of the top performing cigars. I really don't get it. They're not forcing anyone to smoke those cigars. Who cares if they liked an Alec Bradley over a Tat? Why's it offend people so much?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm pretty sure I asked you earlier in this thread what you would consider to be your top 10 of 2011 and it was entirely ignored. That doesn't come across to me as a willingness to be forthcoming with information.

How about you try and contribute to the thread in a productive manner instead of trying to piss off a bunch of people?

Being a troll has zero to do with who you know and who you're associated with. Being a troll is about posting inflammatory remarks looking to incite an argumentative response. I'm sure with all your years on internet forums, you know that and know it's what you're doing here.
I posted a whole bunch of cigars I've enjoyed this year you must have missed it but to make you happy I really liked the La Reloba Sumatra, The Verite 09, the MJ12 Maduro too many CC's to list.

As for trolling you are wrong. I'm going against the mob to point out inconsistencies in how guys view manufacturers based on the friendships that guys have with Pete or JD etc. Was my original posts on it the best way to go about it? No but i got everyone's attention.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
While I dont agree with you all the time jayro, I do think too many people miss the fact that this is the top 10 of 2011 in THEIR OPINION. Their list is totally different than mine, I havent even tried any of the cigars on that list, and they might not have tried all the cigars on mine. Take it for what its worth, does ad money come in to play? Maybe, but who cares anyway? Why put so much stock in someones reviews?

The real sheople are not the handfull of BOTLers that feel like the CA list is off and wish their favorites were on there but the people that are currently running around like madmen trying to grab all of the top 10 cigars and stocking up on number one.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think that since the "biggest" publication of the cigar world publishes a list of what it finds to be the 10 best of for a year with many interesting choices that we may not agree with, people get angry. I can understand this though because you want to see the things you like the best on said list.

It's another list, something to take suggestions from. Will I try the Presnado? I might... but I wont go hunting for it. If a shop has it, I might pick one up. I tend to have something against Honduran tobacco for some reason. I keep trying... but not liking.

There are some choices I dont understand though as normally a list of "the best of year xxxx" contains things that were released in some relative time period of the list being released.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
As for trolling you are wrong. I'm going against the mob to point out inconsistencies in how guys view manufacturers based on the friendships that guys have with Pete or JD etc. Was my original posts on it the best way to go about it? No but i got everyone's attention.
I have to agree here. While it could have been done many different ways better most of what jayro has said has been right. We are heavily biased here as to what we like and as such think that others should agree with our choices. I have long ago accepted that I am rarely right on these things as many times I don't like a lot of the popular things here. Haven't had a liga I really enjoyed, don't like the new big power trend Pete has been on with BRex and tenderloin and while I do like illusione I really only smoke mk's. I know many people agree that solo VI could have easily won and no one would have complained but really I don't like em. Not even the gran reserva even though I bought a box. I still like watching the list just to see where I lie next to their choices and it really only is their choices.

Btw last night tried an 08 trini robusto extra that I know many love and I still don't care that thy are discontinuing it. The entire list could have been made up with cigars I don't like and I still would have been interests to see the results.

Am I a big fan of CA not really tho I do look through most issues and as a cigar smoker they do help mainstream us a little which I don't mind. Anything that portrays us in a good light to non smokers is a good thing. I hope they continue to do well and sell tons of magazines and put out their top 25 for another 25 years as that will mean the cigar industry is still in good shape.

Not sure why we all get so excited about someone else's choices. Botl top 10 would be way different then cbid or friends of habanos would but that is how it is supposed to be.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I have to agree here. While it could have been done many different ways better most of what jayro has said has been right. We are heavily biased here as to what we like and as such think that others should agree with our choices. I have long ago accepted that I am rarely right on these things as many times I don't like a lot of the popular things here. Haven't had a liga I really enjoyed, don't like the new big power trend Pete has been on with BRex and tenderloin and while I do like illusione I really only smoke mk's. I know many people agree that solo VI could have easily won and no one would have complained but really I don't like em. Not even the gran reserva even though I bought a box. I still like watching the list just to see where I lie next to their choices and it really only is their choices.

Btw last night tried an 08 trini robusto extra that I know many love and I still don't care that thy are discontinuing it. The entire list could have been made up with cigars I don't like and I still would have been interests to see the results.

Am I a big fan of CA not really tho I do look through most issues and as a cigar smoker they do help mainstream us a little which I don't mind. Anything that portrays us in a good light to non smokers is a good thing. I hope they continue to do well and sell tons of magazines and put out their top 25 for another 25 years as that will mean the cigar industry is still in good shape.

Not sure why we all get so excited about someone else's choices. Botl top 10 would be way different then cbid or friends of habanos would but that is how it is supposed to be.
I agree with both Jayro and Aaron.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I'll give CA credit because that's how I came across Tatuaje. Back in like 05-06 they rated the Tatuaje Taino in their magazine and it made their top for that year. I had never heard of the brand til then but it was still a fairly new cigar brand. I've been buying many Tats since. Don't like them all though. Would I agree with their ratings...not overall but I wouldn't agree with other peoples ratings or reviews on here either. It is what it is...peoples opinion. If it matters so much to you, come out with your own blog or magazine so the cigar world KNOWS the truth lol. The "trolling" is pretty funny too. Especially when contradictory.

Last edited:
Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
AB Prensado, though a good stick, didn't even hit my radar of top smokes of the year. Don't really understand how that stick made it to the top of this list. Though most of the sticks on the list are pretty solid smokes, I totally disagree with 75% of it.

I love me some Epernay though. I like the P2 love also. Some things they get right IMHO,.....

Those box pressed AB's are like wind tunnels when drawing smoke from them. They must love that kind of thing at CA. Hell, they gave the Family Blend torp a "94" and it was like a road flare!

Ishtar

Corona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am navigating CAs website wrongly or maybe my PC is retarded but why in the "Top 25" can I only find out the Top 10?? There's even an image with a bullet th@ says "View all Top 25 Cigars" but it is not selectable...

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I'll give CA credit because that's how I came across Tatuaje. Back in like 05-06 they rated the Tatuaje Taino in their magazine and it made their top for that year. I had never heard of the brand til then but it was still a fairly new cigar brand.
Also in 2006 the Tatuaje Noella was #9 in their Top 25.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's an interesting List. I don't agree with it but that's fine. Why I don't like CA is because there's less cigar and more ad space in it. I also think they may get paid off for their praise. Can't prove that but it's what I think.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
It's an interesting List. I don't agree with it but that's fine. Why I don't like CA is because there's less cigar and more ad space in it. I also think they may get paid off for their praise. Can't prove that but it's what I think.
I am not sure but wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. My feelings are to an extent everyone who gets compensated for what they do is going to be a little biased. I would not be surprised if a company that received a lot of money in advertising skewed there results even unconsciously towards their advertisers. Just like I don't trust bloggers with sponsors on their site as it makes no sense for them to bash something from one of third sponsor sites. I have always heard don't bite the hand that feeds.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Really the main issue here is this:

Is this really a blind taste test.
The answer - No.
They know the field of 60 or so cigars they are smoking.
Stack them up side by side, even unbanded, and they can probably guess accurately I would guess 75-90 % of them fairly accurately, based on size, color, RG & cap type.
Then add in aroma and that % probably increases.

So is it blind - no.

If it were blind they would have to smoke a field of 60 or so cigars without knowing ahead of time what those 60 cigar are and really without seeing them, but thats fairly difficult!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow!

26 pages and 375+ posts on a list no one believes... They must be doing something right.

Convinced me to try the Mi Amore... AB, no chance.