What's new

Cigar Aficionado Top 25 for 2011

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Does anyone have a list of the top rated cigars this year? I'm interested in seeing the big list from Cigar Insider or whatever. In year's past someone had a full list from the year, in order.

As for the #1 cigar, I'm still holding out slight hope for the La Verite. That's a cigar that really grows on you, and since they smoke these multiple times to rank them ... but of course, it will probably just be an Opus X or a Padron FR 44th natural (not that I think that's dumb, Opus and Padron FRs are great cigars).

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
"The Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary Torpedo is dark and box-pressed, with superb construction. Its lush draw is laden with coffee bean, cocoa and earthy flavors that grow in power as the cigar is puffed. This is the best finish ever in our Top 25 for a cigar from Rocky Patel."

Wasn't the decade #1 a couple years ago?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Really? I've only had one Prensado, and while I liked it I wasn't given a "#1 Cigar" impression by it. Not as good as the Tempus, or maybe even the Black Market.

Was the Black Market reviewed this year?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
"The Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary Torpedo is dark and box-pressed, with superb construction. Its lush draw is laden with coffee bean, cocoa and earthy flavors that grow in power as the cigar is puffed. This is the best finish ever in our Top 25 for a cigar from Rocky Patel."

Wasn't the decade #1 a couple years ago?
No, top 10 I think. I think the Decade is very good, but I haven't had the 15th so I can't comment.

Like I said, I'm hoping for the La Verite, but it'll probably be an Opus.

Last edited:

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Does anyone have a list of the top rated cigars this year? I'm interested in seeing the big list from Cigar Insider or whatever.
I think this is what you're looking for... if not let me know and I'll see if I can dig something else up.

CIGAR INSIDER’S TOP SCORES OF THE YEAR
94 - Aging Room Small Batch M356 Presto, Dom. Rep.
94 - Cohiba 1966 Edición Limitada 2011, Cuba
94 - La Reloba Selección Sumatra Torpedo, Nicaragua
93 - Diamond Crown Julius Caeser Pyramid, Dom. Rep.
93 - H. Upmann Royal Robusto, Cuba
93 - Illusione Epernay Le Taureau, Honduras
93 - Padrón Serie 1926 No. 9 Maduro, Nicaragua
93 - Partagás Serie E No. 2, Cuba
92 - Alec Bradley Vice Press 6T4, Honduras
92 - Casa Fernandez Miami Toro, U.S.A.
92 - H. Upmann No. 2, Cuba
92 - La Reloba Selección Sumatra Robusto, Nicaragua
92 - Montecristo No. 2, Cuba
92 - Padilla Dominus Double Robusto, Honduras
92 - Partagás Salomon, Cuba
92 - Partagás Serie P No. 1, Cuba
92 - Ramon Allones Especiales Exclusivo Suiza, Cuba
92 - Savinelli Dos Campeones Sixto Trabajador, Nicaragua
92 - Trinidad Fundador, Cuba
91 - 601 La Bomba Nuclear, Nicaragua
91 - Aging Room Small Batch M356 Rondo, Dom. Rep.
91 - Alec Bradley New York Empire Toro, Honduras
91 - Berger & Argenti Entubar Quad Torpedo Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Cohiba Esplendido, Cuba
91 - Cohiba Robusto, Cuba
91 - Cuaba Salomon, Cuba
91 - Don Diego Fuerte By Omar Ortez Belicoso, Nicaragua
91 - E.P. Carrillo New Wave Connecticut Stellas, Dom. Rep.
91 - Four Kicks Corona Gorda, Dom. Rep.
91 - Hoyo de Monterrey Short Hoyo Pirámides EL 2011, Cuba
91 - Illusione Epernay L’Alpiniste, Honduras
91 - Illusione Epernay La Vie, Honduras
91 - Master By Carlos Toraño Robusto, Nicaragua
91 - Montecristo 75th Aniversario No. 4, Dom. Rep.
91 - Padilla Dominus Torpedo, Honduras
91 - Padilla Miami 8&11 Robusto, U.S.A.
91 - Padrón Family Reserve No. 85 Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Padrón Serie 1926 40th Anniversary Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Padrón Serie 1926 No. 2 Belicoso Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Padrón Serie 1926 No. 6 Maduro, Nicaragua
91 - Punch Punch, Cuba
91 - Quesada Selección España Short Robusto, Dom. Rep.
91 - San Cristobal Elegancia Robusto, Nicaragua
91 - San Cristobal Elegancia Pyramid, Nicaragua
91 - Ramon Allones Allones Extra Edición Limitada 2011, Cuba
91 - Romeo y Julieta Churchill, Cuba
91 - Romeo y Julieta Exhibición No. 4, Cuba
91 - Warlock Robusto, Nicaragua

Source: Cigar Insider, December 20, 2011, Vol. 16, No. 24

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Thanks JDog!

I forgot the La Reloba got a 94, dang. That's got a shot then. The last 2 years CA has chosen uber-expensive cigar, so maybe this year they'll go with a budget smoke! Or maybe they'll keep with the expensive and pick the Cohiba 1966 (I really hope they don't, because I wanted to try those at some point, lol).

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Ok, so now I am confused even more.....how the hell do they choose the 60 cigars they start with for the "Best of" list? Based on what I saw in just the December CA issue and the list jdog posted, the Warlock and RP should not have been in that group of 60....that is if you were to take the top 60 out of all reviews this year. There would have been a hell of a lot more cigars that got better than 92 which would keep those two out. I don't have all of the previous issues this year, but I would think there would be at least 60 that were 93 or better this year in their ratings.

I just don't get how they actually decide what gets the chance to make the final list.

EDIT: and I say the Warlock and RP should not be in that group....if you assume they take the top 60 scored cigars from the year. But, it seems to not be that way.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Ok, so now I am confused even more.....how the hell do they choose the 60 cigars they start with for the "Best of" list? Based on what I saw in just the December CA issue and the list jdog posted, the Warlock and RP should not have been in that group of 60....that is if you were to take the top 60 out of all reviews this year. There would have been a hell of a lot more cigars that got better than 92 which would keep those two out. I don't have all of the previous issues this year, but I would think there would be at least 60 that were 93 or better this year in their ratings.

I just don't get how they actually decide what gets the chance to make the final list.

EDIT: and I say the Warlock and RP should not be in that group....if you assume they take the top 60 scored cigars from the year. But, it seems to not be that way.
That list jdog posted was from Cigar INSIDER, the online group / ezine. Cigar Aficionado does their own tastings and ratings that are a seperate list. Then they have a specific panel for the "list," but take the ones CI recommends for that initial group of 60 as well as the ones CA themselves rated well (I think).

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
That list jdog posted was from Cigar INSIDER, the online group / ezine. Cigar Aficionado does their own tastings for the "list," but takes the ones CI recommends for that initial group of 60 (I think).
Quote from cigaraficionado.com:

Choosing this group of superb cigars was a comprehensive and exhaustive task. We tasted more than 700 cigars during the year for the reviews printed in Cigar Aficionado magazine and Cigar Insider newsletter. From that we culled a list of top-scoring cigars, selecting more than 60 to taste again. All had achieved outstanding scores (90 points or more in our 100-point scale). Our tasting coordinator went to cigar shops and bought the cigars once again. He removed their identifying bands and gave each a new code before passing them out to the senior tasters. Each cigar was resmoked and scored, and the best made our Top 25.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I like Alan Rubin, and I think Alec Bradley sells some good, well made cigars, with some interesting blends... but at the end of the day, nothing they sell would make me go "Oh boy, I can't wait to light this (insert AB cigar)". Would much rather see Fuente, or something from Cuba in #1 than AB...

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Quote from cigaraficionado.com:

Choosing this group of superb cigars was a comprehensive and exhaustive task. We tasted more than 700 cigars during the year for the reviews printed in Cigar Aficionado magazine and Cigar Insider newsletter. From that we culled a list of top-scoring cigars, selecting more than 60 to taste again. All had achieved outstanding scores (90 points or more in our 100-point scale). Our tasting coordinator went to cigar shops and bought the cigars once again. He removed their identifying bands and gave each a new code before passing them out to the senior tasters. Each cigar was resmoked and scored, and the best made our Top 25.
Yep, that sounds right! So the "pool" they pick their initial 60 from contains cigars rated by themselves and by Cigar Insider (the list above is just Cigar Insider, so that's why it's missing a lot of sticks on the "List").

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Yep, that sounds right! So the "pool" they pick their initial 60 from contains cigars rated by themselves and by Cigar Insider (the list above is just Cigar Insider, so that's why it's missing a lot of sticks on the "List").
Well, that list above, and the list from the December issue has 22 cigars rated higher than the RP (which was rated higher than the Warlock). With the other 5 issues, I would think there would be at least 40 cigars that were also rated higher than 92. I would think a "Best of" list would actually use the top rated cigars from the year to then determine the Top 25, and ultimately their Top cigar for the year. It would appear it doesn't happen that way.

This begs the question....how do they choose the 60 that are used to pick the Top 25? The process doesn't appear to make sense....at least to me.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well, that list above, and the list from the December issue has 22 cigars rated higher than the RP (which was rated higher than the Warlock). With the other 5 issues, I would think there would be at least 40 cigars that were also rated higher than 92. I would think a "Best of" list would actually use the top rated cigars from the year to then determine the Top 25, and ultimately their Top cigar for the year. It would appear it doesn't happen that way.

This begs the question....how do they choose the 60 that are used to pick the Top 25? The process doesn't appear to make sense....at least to me.
It's a complex algorithm. Once they get a list together of everything rated over 90, then they multiply those scores by advertising revenue, and they are left with a much smaller list of cigars that their advertisers will find acceptable. Thought this was common knowledge!

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I'm missing the September/October 2011 and March/April 2011 issues of CA, otherwise I would compile another list, but what kockroach stated is true. You could easily come up with a number of sticks that would rank higher than the RP and Warlock over this last year in CA and Cigar Insider.

What's interesting is the La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor ranked 90 in the jan/feb, 2011 CA issue... who knows how this is done, but as long as the process is vague people will always speculate why and how a cigar gets on the final 25 list.

What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness...