What's new

Cigar Bid

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where to post this, but I just wanted to voice some of my frustrations about cigarbid.com. Just as a background as I'm sure many of you already know, cbid and cigars international are ran from the same warehouse.

First and foremost, I will never understand why people on cbid insist on bidding stuff up to over cigars international prices. I've seen this done multiple times, and the whole point of cbid is to get stuff cheaper, so why bid up? I saw padron 6000's going for $37 on CI and bid up to $42 on cbid... What is the point of bidding at that price point? You can just order it from CI for $5 cheaper...

Anyway I've seen this done multiple times on the current things I was bidding on and wanted to share my frustrations/see if anyone else was having the same issue.

Cheers

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
People are stupid.

Know the values. Know what you're willing to pay. Don't go over that. Let the stupid people do stupid things.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
You just need to look at it differently: If numbskulls weren't paying better than top dollar, the site wouldn't be profitable, it'd shut down, and we wouldn't be able to make the occassional score. Let 'em overpay!!

Don't expect to get deals on many Tats, Fuentes or Padrons...and forget about LP's, Opus and PAMs

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I think it is people getting caught up in the bidding "war" process and wanting to win before they realize they have paid more than what the item is worth. In a way this has happen to me. I never paid over what i could have gotten it from CI but I did go over what I wanted to pay once or twice because I was caught up in the bid.

You can get some great deals if you are willing to wait because I won two lighters last week for less than a third of their value on CI or other websites for that matter.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I never paid over what i could have gotten it from CI but I did go over what I wanted to pay once or twice because I was caught up in the bid.
This....

I always price check prior to bidding.. and make sure that my max bid is below what the same item can be had for elsewhere..

I normally set my personal max at about 10-15% below the cheapest price I can find something for anywhere else.... and usually actually shoot for getting something 20% or more off of "retail"...

but there have been times I have paid damn near the CI list price... just because I got caught up in it.. or wasnt paying attention...

there's a reason its called the devil site...

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never paid over what i could have gotten it from CI but I did go over what I wanted to pay once or twice because I was caught up in the bid.
This....

I always price check prior to bidding.. and make sure that my max bid is below what the same item can be had for elsewhere..

I normally set my personal max at about 10-15% below the cheapest price I can find something for anywhere else.... and usually actually shoot for getting something 20% or more off of "retail"...

but there have been times I have paid damn near the CI list price... just because I got caught up in it.. or wasnt paying attention...

there's a reason its called the devil site...
Couldnt put it any better than this. Know your product and price point and bid accordingly.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I think some guys also are bundling wins... so if they scored something already, they are willing to pay over on other lots, just as long as the entire shipment comes out "under."

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah most of these thoughts have crossed my mind and I currently just research before I bid so I know my max.

I never thought about it from the perspective of the site wouldn't be as profitable tho, that makes a lot of sense.

This particular bid was a quicklot that was only open for a couple hours on the 6000's so I figured hey maybe people won't check as often as I do (lol) and I can snag them for cheap. Turns out I was wayyyyyy wrong. Glad I'm not the only one operating smartly in there tho.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I always check the price on Cigars International, then compare it with CigarBid plus the shipping charge. Cigars International has free shipping for this month with FREESH38 code, so sometimes it's better to buy through them instead of CigarBid.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The only thing I use cbid for is accessories, you can get some stellar deals on Xikar cutters. To be honest, none of the cheap stuff interests me at all anymore, and the good stuff always goes for way more than necessary, so it's just not worth looking at.

EDIT: I do occasionally use the FreeFall to grab a fiver to hand out to buddies...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent some time on Cbid, but have never bought or even bid on anything. I primarily buy singles and 5ers and upon checking egars & Mike's I always find the stuff I'm looking for there cheaper. I know some have scored some killer deals, but life is too short to scour that site all day for the hope of one good score. Sort of reminds me of the movie One Crazy Summer where the dude locked himself in a boat house all summer for the chance to win a radio contest. God, I love that movie!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I only do the free-falls and only if the lowest number I see for the item I am interested in is less than what's on the main CI site and other sites... I've been very happy with the outcomes.