What's new

Cigar Bid

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Or *want* to know. My knowledge is still in its infancy and even I know to check <grin>

Plus, I have a tight budget so I don't waste my money (says the guy with a bunch of dog rockets in the tupperdor)
I did that at first too. A HUNDRED CIGARS FOR A HUNDRED DOLLARS! Ya I gotta buy that deal!

Jesus. Newb me was a fool
I'm pretty sure "Newb rdomfoto" out-fooled "newb H3rrington"

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
what is this BOTLORG discount you speak of?? Is that the code? "BOTLORG"?

Cbid gets me every week, it's the only way I can continue to smoke "decent-to-good/great" cigars on a daily basis...I'm ballin' on a budget over here. I still check around to see if I can find better deals but usually I'm just trying something new that is gonna go for a wicked deal. I also do the research on the cigars before I try anything new...have to check out reviews/what people think about it first. I'm not out to just stick any old dog rocket in my mouth because it's a "great deal"

I'm smoking a Headley Grange Hermoso #4, thank you cbid! lol

I'd also like to say that I still give my local B&M's love too, but I don't drive, so the internet is a godsend for me right now.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've started to watch the mayhem over there and am blown away by some of the inept bidders. A stick I was watching that retails, before our normal discounts, for $8 has now been bid-up to $11. I've got to believe if you are bidding you at least have the major online websites open to compare pricing and would see you are paying way more than you should.
this is where the conspiracy theorists come in with their ideas that "CBid has secret bidders who run the bid prices up for them"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not in me to wait days for an auction to end. However I've done well on Free Fall Auctions, 10 EP Carrillo Core line toros and 20 DPepin Original toros, all for $3.80 per stick.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've started to watch the mayhem over there and am blown away by some of the inept bidders. A stick I was watching that retails, before our normal discounts, for $8 has now been bid-up to $11. I've got to believe if you are bidding you at least have the major online websites open to compare pricing and would see you are paying way more than you should.
this is where the conspiracy theorists come in with their ideas that "CBid has secret bidders who run the bid prices up for them"
Seems to me there are at least two rational explanations that exclude cbid manipulating prices:

1. Guys in high-tax states who already have stuff won - Paying $3 more for a stick than MSRP isn't a big deal if you really want to try a single, and the local B&M is even higher, especially when you already won a box at 30% below MSRP, overall you're still getting a great deal. To buy the single online you'd have to pay a minimum of $6 shipping most places most times. It's more convenient than placing two orders (I mean hey - autoship!) and you're still saving vs. buying at the local B&M

2. Addictive behavior - winning is fun. Cigars already give a chemical reaction that's pleasurable and creates craving in many folks. Add to that the competition and addictive nature of bidding (feels almost like gambling) and suddenly a slight over-bid doesn't seem that unusual.

Nas

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Seems to me there are at least two rational explanations that exclude cbid manipulating prices:

1. Guys in high-tax states who already have stuff won - Paying $3 more for a stick than MSRP isn't a big deal if you really want to try a single, and the local B&M is even higher, especially when you already won a box at 30% below MSRP, overall you're still getting a great deal. To buy the single online you'd have to pay a minimum of $6 shipping most places most times. It's more convenient than placing two orders (I mean hey - autoship!) and you're still saving vs. buying at the local B&M

2. Addictive behavior - winning is fun. Cigars already give a chemical reaction that's pleasurable and creates craving in many folks. Add to that the competition and addictive nature of bidding (feels almost like gambling) and suddenly a slight over-bid doesn't seem that unusual.
I'm with you stogie, but yesterday @ 3 different times in the day I was watching 3 free falls with the chrome browser plug in. the opus x, DE muwat bait fish, and AF hemingway. the plug in showed all the same lowest price all 3 times, I mean right to the penny.

like I said maybe for the free fall auctions they have a set reserve price. I tried looking at their policy and couldn't find it but maybe they don't have to post it. the opus x lost city never went under $19.95, the muwat 10 pack 35.16, and the hemingway 5 pack 29.90. again I was back and forth at the site 3 times.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I think they are making hand over fist on these things..I don't think they need to up bid them. with all of the people overpaying above retail!...lol they don't have a reason to. People are paying more for cigars (all the time) than if they would have just went to CI and bought them...and it's not like they're getting free shipping either (on most stuff)

I've scored some great deals so I don't care either way. Be patient, shop around if you really need to get the best possible price.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Or *want* to know. My knowledge is still in its infancy and even I know to check <grin>

Plus, I have a tight budget so I don't waste my money (says the guy with a bunch of dog rockets in the tupperdor)
Funny. When I first found CB I bought way to many and had no room. Then did not want half the "dog rockets" to even spend money on putting in tupperdor. I am much more discerning in stick purchasing now. Rather spend a bit more and enjoy.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think they are making hand over fist on these things..I don't think they need to up bid them. with all of the people overpaying above retail!...lol they don't have a reason to. People are paying more for cigars (all the time) than if they would have just went to CI and bought them...and it's not like they're getting free shipping either (on most stuff)

I've scored some great deals so I don't care either way. Be patient, shop around if you really need to get the best possible price.
I'm not sure what you meant by pEople paying more all the Time. .. But I have to say that in NY the only $2 stick you're getting is a Dutch master. Thus i try to pay avg of $5/stick or less. Same cigars probably cost me $8-$12 in a b&m

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

Funny. When I first found CB I bought way to many and had no room. Then did not want half the "dog rockets" to even spend money on putting in tupperdor. I am much more discerning in stick purchasing now. Rather spend a bit more and enjoy.
Every person I have talked to has the same story - when we start out, we buy all the cheap-ass stuff.

But they serve a very real and useful purpose:

In the early days of advertising (before any truth-in-advertising laws) a photographer could make a bowl of soup look like it had a lot more "stuff" in it by placing a bunch of clear marbles in the soup bowl. The broth would fill in the gaps between the marbles and all the good stuff would sit on top, making the soup look full of yummy things when, in reality, it wasn't.

In pictures of my tupperdor, the cheap yard-gars play the role of the clear marbles! LOLOL

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Every person I have talked to has the same story - when we start out, we buy all the cheap-ass stuff.

But they serve a very real and useful purpose:

In the early days of advertising (before any truth-in-advertising laws) a photographer could make a bowl of soup look like it had a lot more "stuff" in it by placing a bunch of clear marbles in the soup bowl. The broth would fill in the gaps between the marbles and all the good stuff would sit on top, making the soup look full of yummy things when, in reality, it wasn't.

In pictures of my tupperdor, the cheap yard-gars play the role of the clear marbles! LOLOL
I've got a layer of some cigars in my box that are being used as marbles.. I've gotta do some research on here, I recall someone saying they liked this particular brand... perhaps a bombing is in order

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0

I'm not sure what you meant by pEople paying more all the Time. .. But I have to say that in NY the only $2 stick you're getting is a Dutch master. Thus i try to pay avg of $5/stick or less. Same cigars probably cost me $8-$12 in a b&m

More than if they would have just got it from CI or another Internet dealer. I understand that some people (who over pay) are getting it for cheaper than they would in the local B&M but that goes for almost everyone. I was specifically speaking of internet sales.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cigar bid is horrible. They will not ship items won or communicate with their customers!!! been there for a while and since their upgrade have went down hill recklessly.