What's new

Cigar Bid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the exception of my first purchase, I don't think I buy anything on Cbid without checking the history tool first. You'd be surprised how many times that'll make you change your mind about bidding.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've used cbid a lot in the last few years and I've never paid more than retail. Hell, I don't even pay more than $2.50 a stick except on an occasional special 5'r like the Sons of Anarchy they had on there recently. And I only did that for the bands. I've scored a lot of San Lotano, Perdomo and MOW sticks for $2/ea or less in samplers and bundles. I've also gotten a bunch of other higher end cigars for the same price on the same type of deals. I've saved a ton of money using them and will continue to do so. BUT, you have to be smart and watch what you're doing. Set your limit and stick to it. Don't be stupid, check the regular site prices before buying anything.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
The worst is when something Unico pops up on there and people just lose their damn minds. $20+ for UF-13s when they came out and just general bedlam and insanity over anything good. Having said that, with some discipline you can pick up some good deals here and there. I try to stay away because everything starts to look good after a while and I don't want to make any poor choices that I'll end up regretting later on. (Not like I've ever lived that or anything.)

When it comes to cbid the best advice I can give is: bid to get a good deal and never bid to win. I know I've said that before but it doesn't make it any less true.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
People are dumb...that's the bottom line. You can go on eBay and see the same thing. People buying gift cards to stores for more than is on the card!

Auctions are like gambling and a lot of people have the sickness.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This is why I never really bothered with cbid. I just watch for sales on stuff I like at my preferred vendors and wait it out instead. Not saying it isn't worth the time, but since I don't really buy a lot of cheaper NC sticks there isn't much to be saved if any at all.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Don't forget about the the data base for completed auctions here: http://sloppymcnubble.com/cbid/index.php

And if using free fall, there is a Chrome ext that shows the lowest price it got to while the page/tab was open. "CigarBid Free Fall Plugin"
This ext is awesome. Shows best price, worst price, bad/good price etc.

I think the best strategy is place bids at what you want to pay and stand strong. Don't get in a bidding war. Let dummies pay top $$$

Some you win, some you lose...

I won the ramon bueso ashtray with 6 sticks for $16 this week, retails at $40. I just wanted the ashtray lol

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I use a similar plugin -- http://www.reddit.com/r/cigars/comments/u1hng/sloppy_and_the_clerics_cigarbid_history_plugin/. It shows you the range of prices for recent bids on a given item (not only Free Fall auctions). A little frame opens in your browser right above the item itself. I've never paid more than the price I would pay elsewhere, and I won't pay more than what historically is a "good price" on cbid either. If something has been bid up to more than you want to pay, just wait and it'll be back shortly most of the time.

I really don't see any reason not to use it if you can limit yourself to paying less than you would elsewhere. Let the idiots spend $169 for a 5er of the UF-13 if they want, but don't be an idiot yourself.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cigar prices are so high in the B&M stores here in NY due to the taxes, that I pretty much have bought everything I have from CBid.

After paying $8-$10 for a single ACID Kuba Kuba in the B&M, or $12 for an H.Upmann.. I figured if any cigar I want is less than $5/piece on CBid it's worth it to me. (of course, I try to keep em at $2.50/piece)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The best thing to do on auctions sites are to wait to the last (literal) minute of the auction. Put in your bid and max bid in. It prevents people from bidding your price up, as well as keeps you from paying just a little bit more than what you would have.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The best thing to do on auctions sites are to wait to the last (literal) minute of the auction. Put in your bid and max bid in. It prevents people from bidding your price up, as well as keeps you from paying just a little bit more than what you would have.
Was going to say that's what I do. You worded it better than I was typing it so thanks for
Unknowingly getting my words out

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do too tbh. Keeps the price down and keeps you from getting stuck in a bid war

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Lately I have been snagging don Carlos anniversarios off of cbid. They have been going for $15-18 a stick which is significantly cheaper than $25-30 a stick that they retail for. You just have to know what is a good price and what isn't.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I usually do this for something that I really want but have been burned in the past when I have gotten caught up "in the moment"

Knowing that I have this tendency has caused me to change my strategy. What I have started doing lately is bidding on stuff when it is still really low and setting my max bid at 50-65% of retail. I will also check the past history link before setting my max bid. Then I stay away from it and will not up my bid. If I get it, good. If not there will almost be another box or 5er up for sale at a later date. I have actually scored some phenomenal deals this way!

One other strategy that I have found to save some time is to set the view to "all" so that I am not clicking from page to page. I will then sort the page alphabetically which allows me to quickly skip over the Ghurkas, 5 Vegas, etc. that I am not really interested in. This saves a lot of time and helps me sort out the crap.

The other thing that I have trained myself to do is to only bid on stuff that I really want and know that I will smoke and not mess around with stuff I haven't tried before.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I actually saw a box of Rats on Cbid today @ $180. Still had a day left on it but I was so tempted!